Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Shaun for Mareep and Pinkeye for Fomantis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Phillip and Hot Pants.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Gone Fishin’

Welcome to the team Static and Pinkeye. Enjoy your stay, and maybe you’ll see some time on the team if things go south, or if I get bored with the existing team setup.

I’m bored with the current team setup.

This one decision led to a lot of time spent leveling up random guys on my bench while trying to decide who was going to stay with me.

During which time I went back to the beginning of the route to fight this guy.

Rando trainers might not commonly show up with Z-crystals, but you can’t rule them out. Luckily, he blew his load on a buffed Reflect, rather than a named attack move.

The reward was not worth the effort.

The majority of mons on this route are bug or flying type, making it rather inconvenient to grindmy pure grass totally-not-a-bug up closer to the rest of the party. The less said about others I switched in and out as I went, the better.

Macrophage, for example, ended up sticking around, even though I kind of wanted to stick to mostly gen 7 dudes if possible, but I can’t do that without duplicate types. Besides, I like the Machop line, so he’s a welcome addition. Bugzapper ended up a little higher than I might have preferred, but it certainly made my life a damned sight easier later in this update.

But my real target tonight is Brooklet Hill, at the end of the route. Lots of water, a few bridges to get in…

A fisherman with a Goldeen…

And a trial captain, though not the one I’ve met several times already. But she did warn me about this trial being here, and the Sudowoodo encounter made it clear what type I was dealing with, so I can’t say I wasn’t prepared or forewarned.

I serve as the captain of Brooklet Hill.

Oddly enough, the text dump has different dialogue for this spot, I’m not sure if one was just unused but still included, or if there’s a way to get one or the other.

You look like an able-bodied Trainer. Could I ask for your help with something?

Same outcome either way, I guess.

Then I will explain the trial to you.

My particular trial is this... I want you to herd the Pokémon found in the pools of Brooklet Hill, driving them downstream to draw out the Totem Pokémon. If I might be so blunt, they are Wishiwashi. It’s Wishiwashi I want you to herd.

But I won’t expect you to swim through all the pools yourself. I have a lovely gift to help you.

I’m not 100% certain, but I think this is the earliest you get Surf, or a Surf analog, in any game in the series.

If you climb atop Lapras there, you will be able to travel over bodies of water. Now you’ll be able to help drive those Pokémon downstream for me!

So if you’re ready... Please follow me this way.

Plenty of grass here, but I can’t catch anything until after the totem battle. Nothing even comes up to fight me.

Ah... I’m sorry. What was your name? ... ... ... Of course! Truthkeeper! It is a lovely name. Just lovely.

Don’t patronize me.

Now, then. Do you see those two splashes over there?

I am thinking that at least one of them might contain a Wishiwashi. In fact, it’s likely both might. Don’t you agree? Would you try to drive them downstream with a little help from Lapras?

I mean, that’s the trial, and that’s why I’m here, right?

The trick is that one of these things splashing in the water is the Wishiwashi I want…

Well, this is a lovely surprise! You’re quite the Trainer, Truthkeeper! Please carry on driving the Wishiwashi downstream just like that.

While the other is a Dewpider. If you choose the wrong one… oh no, horror of horrors, you have to fight it!

Speaking of fighting, there’s a random passing trainer up at one end of the river for me to deal with. She apparently doesn’t know what Pokeballs are, maybe she’s related to Lillie?

That splash there! Please do check that vigorous splashing and keep driving the Pokémon downstream for me.

Two more splashes, another Wishiwashi/Dewpider choice. I got the Dewpider first this time, if you’re curious.

Truthkeeper! Look there! Yes, just over there!

It would seem we succeeded in drawing out the Totem Pokémon!

Strike against the totem with all your strength! And seize victory!

Again, literally why I’m here. How bad could a little fishy be any…

Oh gently caress me, I forgot that the totem pokemon are different between versions. Lucky thing I had Bugzapper leading and not Pinkeye.

Totem Araquanid, extra fast. I thought Totem Wishiwashi in Sun was bad… and honestly this was easier, but I’m also a little overleveled.

Which did not prevent me having to super potion ever other turn, take out two allies, because wild Pokemon aren’t familiar with the concept of one on one, and barely manage to get in a few hits on Araquanid between all that.

What a very surprising surprise... Who would have thought it? That all those Wishiwashi gathering would have summoned an Araquanid, that is. Heh heh... Even I was caught—hook, line, and sinker!

You were amazing, Truthkeeper. Truly impressive. Please take this.

That’s two!

You do know what this is, don’t you? Watch. This is how you use Waterium Z.

The little hula motion she does here is probably the least silly of the Z-motions we’ve had so far. Maybe tied with the little kata Hala did for Fightingium Z.

And I have more than just that to offer you. Another token for clearing my trial... Here. This is a Lana original. One of my own handmade fishing rods.

And now I can fish. Surfing and fishing opens up a few more places for me to pick up recruits from, including this very den.

This is how you use my fishing rod: When you want to fish for Pokémon, look for piles of rocks in the water. Fish like to hide in the shadows there. When you see your bob dip under the water, you have a bite. But you won’t for long. The Pokémon will struggle to get away, so press B as soon as you see the “!” mark.

I usually play with the speed cranked up, so I had a little trouble doing this until I gave in and turned it down.

If you want to catch any of the Pokémon you fish up for your team, I recommend Dive Balls.

And then she just handed me a stack of them. Woo, more free balls! Lana’s quickly buying her way into being my favorite trial captain.

So did I, over 20 years ago.

Well, what do you think?

You did a fine job today. Shall I see you back to the Pokémon Center on Route 5?

Nope, I got poo poo to do here.

I understand. Oh yes, I understand all too well. The siren call of the sea... and the urge to fish up something wonderful!

You got that right. There are two areas here, that’s two chances for an interesting new team member.

The Nuzlocke tracker I’m using refuses to acknowledge that the Totem Den is a separate area, but gently caress it, I’m the one calling the shots here..

I failed miserably at fishing for a while…

Before I ran into this familiar fellow. I’m not mad. I’m not even disappointed. I’ll probably even put it onto the team and grind until it evolves. I don’t think it’s an unusual thing to say that I like Gyarados.

Incidentally, I caught a Finneon here the first time, which I thought was more interesting, but then I closed the emulator without dropping a new save. Had to do the whole totem fight again.

Whereas in the grass in the first area, we meet another old friend of mine. This fun little guy carried me through a lot of fights in Sun.

And that completes the trial of Lana, gets me a water crystal, and adds two new rookies to the roster who will need names.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Mr. Fish and Truffle

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Leraika posted:

Mr. Fish

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Leraika posted:

Mr. Fish and Truffle

:emptyquote:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Leraika posted:

Mr. Fish and Truffle

ya this is good.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Treated Like Royalty

Well what do I need you guys for if you're just going to name things the same names I would pick without you?

Mr. Fish and Truffle it is.

I should really pay attention to this horrible demon machine more often, these things are useful.

Anyway, I beat up a bug and got a water crystal. Woo.

Which makes short work of the Sudowoodo blockade. No bizarre impassable trees to cut down in this gen, but for some reason Pokemon pretending to be trees still prevent me from passing.

topic all on their own! The way they mimic plants in order to avoid water... How very interesting.

I’m still confused about what the deal is with these guys.

Just as our research suggested, Captain Phyco.

Indeed... We must gather data about Pokémon if we want to win Pokémon battles, after all.

That being said, there is no need for us to use these odd Alolan Pokémon. Soliera, if you would be so kind...

I appreciate how often people actually ask about it in this game.

Oh. Huh. That thing’s new. I’m intrigued, especially the insinuation that it’s foreign, and I don’t think they mean it came from Galar.

Still wrecked it. I regret overleveling before that trial, but not much.

That Z-Power Ring of yours... Its light feels somehow nostalgic.

Do you think it is the same light our ancestors gazed upon? The light said to have come from the Blinding One?

Who can tell? Yet it is our duty as the Ultra Recon Squad to find that out.

I’m not getting any answers about these guys anytime soon, although I’ve got certain assumptions.

Interestingly, these two are apparently unique to Ultra Moon, with a different pair in Ultra Sun.

But enough about that. New area, new Pokemon!

Ooh, a nice find. I have no idea how to evolve Glaceon or Leafeon this gen, but I’m sure I can figure it out if I want one of them.

Meh, cart, horse. Worry about Eeveelutions later.

It ate half a dozen great balls, but I’ve got an Eevee.

And then a horse showed up, which I guess means I need to build that cart.

That’s a hell of a head you’ve got there friendo.

Oh good, these guys again.

And YOU! You’re that numskull Trainer from Melemele, yo!

Oh, very specifically “these guys again”, these are supposed to be the idiots I met on the previous island. Maybe I would have recognized them if they had unique sprites, or names, or anything.

I feel like technology has probably advanced to the point where every trainer in a Pokemon game could have a unique sprite, right?

On the other hand, if they did that, I’d have to take more headshots for conversations.

“Familiar” is a strong word. I certainly don’t know their names. I don’t know their daddy or what he does.

I am Hapu.

Life in the big city sure is something else. Pokémon thieves roam about brazenly...

Hmm, I leave that one to you.

We’re not thieves, yo! It’s a legitimate business!

We got straight messed up in Melemele... got exiled to Akala... but we ain’t goin’ out like that!

In earlier games, especially gen 3, I feel like this would be a double battle, but 7 doesn’t do that much, discounting cheating wild Pokemon.

It was not a long fight.

With all these losses, we’re gonna anger our bosses! These tears taste like salt, yo! It’s all your fault, yo!

Mudsdale, shall we stomp these scoundrels? It’ll be a mess to clean up afterward, but I am willing if you are.

Time for us to break out, yo! Gotta tell y’all peace out, yo!

I told you about the walrus and me, man/You know that we're as close as can be, man/Well, here's another clue for you all/The walrus was Paul

I’m not gonna keep telling you this... except when I keep telling you this! You better listen to what my homie says and drill it into that thick skull of yours! Seriously! You’d better not forget, numskull!

Glad to see that Drifloon will get home on her own.

I’ve got you to thank for that. Give me your name, Trainer.

Truthkeeper, eh? That’s a fine name. I like the way you handled yourself in battle.

Mudsdale and I are always wandering all about Alola to try to achieve our goals, so perhaps we’ll meet again someday. I am indebted to you for your aid, after all.

Ah yes. You might want to try your hand at a Battle Royal or two, Truthkeeper. Mudsdale here thinks you’d be well suited to it, given how strong you are.

Thank you Horse Whisperer, I’m sure I’ll get right on that.

Except I’d rather not, because I hate the Battle Royal (and not just because they spelled it wrong). If only there was something I could do to kill time, something I’d put off doing…

Totem sticker montage it is!

I actually kept going for a while after this, but this was the last important one.

Oh! Well, hello there! It’s me, Samson Oak.

Who gave you this number?

I see you’ve collected some Totem Stickers. You should come stop by Heahea Beach !

Beach, you say?

Didn’t break any records this time.

But you don’t need to break records to earn max BP per surfing run.

But before meeting up with Oak, I went back to this area on the first island, one of two places there I don’t have a Pokemon from yet, because you can’t catch any without Lapras. Time to get my fishing game on.

You might think I’d be upset. But doubles don’t count!

Fished up an obscene amount of treasure. Later games just throw shitwacks of money at you hoping that you’ll get into buying the stupid clothes and whatnot.

Ooh, obscure gen2 lovely fish with a cool evolution.

Honestly, there were worse possibilities, I can work with this.

The other Melemele location I don’t have something from, the sea south of Kukui’s lab.

Yeah. Sure. More fish.

I hate fish. Luckily, I don’t have to eat them.

And then finally over to Brownface Oak.

It seems you’ve collected 25 Totem Stickers! I told you I’d give you a special Raticate that’s as big as a real Totem Pokémon once you got 20, so I guess it’s yours!

Totem Pokemon are cool, I just regret that it’s Raticate. Technically, the Nuzlocke rules have nothing to say on the subject of gifted Pokemon, although it’s generally accepted that they count against the one per area limit.

So, what was I putting off doing? Some annoying pain in my rear end?

Oh right, Royal Avenue.

I’m asking myself the same question, kid.

Every time something brings me down, I end up coming right back here again...

Come on, Null. We’ll beat everyone who stands before us. We’re going to be strong enough to protect them this time...

Kids got issues, but he’s still a better rival than Hau.

You’re a loving demonically possessed electronic encyclopedia, why are you afraid of a teenager with a bad haricut?

More interesting to me than the Battle Royal is the Megamart where you get a coupon to buy items for half price. Money is basically meaningless in this game, and it’s just generic poo poo, but it’s cheap generic poo poo.

And a furry panhandler sold me a cheap TM.

Alright, ran out of ways to procrastinate, let’s get this over with.

Um, thank you, mysterious shirtless stranger.

Seriously though, it’s obviously Kukui in a bad mask.

Okay, fine, “The Royal”. Please, tell me about this lovely gimmick.

I’m here to teach you, oh yeah, about the battle format passed down in Alola for generations... The Pokémon Battle Royal. Woo!

“But, Royal, what’s the Battle Royal?” you might ask.

Four Trainers!

Four Trainers, yeah, each pick three Pokémon, yeah, for one big Pokémon battle, oh yeah!

When one Trainer’s team can’t battle anymore, yeah, the Battle Royal ends! Whichever Trainer has taken out the most Pokémon, yeah, and has the most Pokémon left will emerge the winner. Woo!

First, just give it a shot! Pick your Pokémon, and let’s do this!

I’ll be in the mix, too, yeah. And now we have our foursome. Woo!

What?! Gladion, too?!

Discovery! New experiences! Adventure! It’s all yours if you want it! It’s time for a Pokémon Battle Royal! Ready...fight!

Seriously though, it’s exactly what the name implies, a 4-way Pokemon battle royale. There’s nothing particularly wrong with it, I just don’t like it. A turn-based combat system just doesn’t work right for a battle royale style fight. Thankfully, you can just do it this one time and then ignore it for the rest of the game.

How odd that “The Royal” uses the same Pokemon as Professor Kukui, talks just like him, and doesn’t wear a shirt just like him. Kukui must be a big fan.

I lost, which doesn’t matter in the slightest, and no I’m not counting it as a loss for Nuzlocke purposes, because gently caress you, that’s why.

You’re way overselling this, it’s really not that interesting.

So what do you think? It’s easy to have a fun time with Battle Royal. Woo! You even have a shot at beating real tough opponents this way, yeah?

I have a shot at beating tough opponents anyway, it’s kind of how the game works.

This rear end in a top hat is an important character who I should grab a headshot of for dialogue, but the camera stays focused on his chest this whole drat time.

The name’s Kiawe, the Fire captain. You can get to Wela Volcano Park from Route 7. I’ll be waiting on the peak. If you plan to see your island challenge through to the end, climb to the top with your strongest team!

Yeah, sure, I’ll get right on that.

For gently caress’s sake, if you’re going to do this stupid bullshit, could you at least try to stay in character? I am embarrassed to loving know you.

But, Mr. Masked Royal...

You too.

Oh! I get it! Because of our amulets, huh?

Well, I’m having a blast!

But why are you here? Why would you even wanna do a Battle Royal? You still trying to get stronger or something? Or maybe you just want to make some friends? Heh heh!

I’m not here to play. I’m here because you can’t protect anything when you’re weak.

...Wow. You’re just a ray of sunshine, eh? I think you’d have a lot more fun if you just let yourself have a good time with everybody else. You can do a lot more together, too!

Well, I don’t know what his deal is, but I thought that battle was just plain fun! That’s why I’m gonna keep doing Battle Royals. And my Pokémon seem to like them, too!

Yeah sure, you keep doing that Hau. I ain’t gonna stop you if you’re having fun, just don’t count on me joining in.

The Daemonidex is absolutely right, next goal is the volcano,which is off route 7, which is… I’ll figure that out next time.

In the meantime though, I made many new friends this update, which means I require many names!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Group Hug! The wishy washi

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 24, 2022

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Espeon the Eevee, not allowed to become Espeon

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Darwin

Lazer

Sardine

Beesting

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

FoolyCharged posted:

Group Hug! The wishy washi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Ian the Eevee

GUN. the Remoraid

Group Hug! the Wishiwashi

Cheeky the Raticate