Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Ancillary Justice, while taking place within a distinctly un-Culture like empire, does star sapient warships with multiple avatars, or "Ancillaries"

The Ancillaries are actually mind-wiped humans stuffed full of cybernetics that allow them to act as extensions of the ship

I forgot to say but I finished the book. It was the closest I've seen a book come to being a Culture book, but it was great and unique in its own way. Thank you for the recommendation.

I honestly think that Musk hasn't read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Votskomit posted:

I forgot to say but I finished the book. It was the closest I've seen a book come to being a Culture book, but it was great and unique in its own way. Thank you for the recommendation.

There are two sequels which are also good but weirdly narrow in scope each volume, which is weird considering the first one includes the revelation that two versions of the Empress are at war with each other.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Meatfucker?

Yes. The start of that book was really something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I haven't read any since finishing Player of Games, but oh man I could not have had read a better book just before embarking on this project to make an entire original card game over the last 1.5-2 months. Seven versions later and a few weeks of nonstop illustration, I just now finished it, sent the order off.

The first few weeks I felt like Gurgeh en route to Azad. Just long days and nights of trying to imagine this game, playing against myself in my mind, tweaking the cards, learning and shaping the rules, hours of staring at spreadsheets of card concepts and mechanics. One night I felt my head or brain getting hot like I just needed to stop thinking about it but could not, and really wished I had biochems to manage since coffee only does so much.

Instead of mastering the universes most complex game it was trying to shave away too many complicated ideas to get at the simplest and easiest to understand ones to make an easy to play, fun, casual, enjoyable card game.

Glad to have free time again and get back to reading these books on my walks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There are two sequels which are also good but weirdly narrow in scope each volume, which is weird considering the first one includes the revelation that two versions of the Empress are at war with each other.

And two more books in the same setting but not proper sequels. Both are very good, but I liked Translation Shock the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Picked up Ancillary Justice thanks to the thread, enjoyed it a lot. Thanks!