Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

I had some submarine based eduatainment game as where you explored a psuedo-metroidvania underwater landscape with doors controller by math and logic puzzles.

Shamefully I was dogshit at the actual combat, not the math, so I could never get very far.

That sounds interesting, do you remember the name of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Big Scary Owl posted:

That sounds interesting, do you remember the name of the game?

Found it, Operation Neptune. For an Edutainment game it was pretty good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Entorwellian posted:

Have there been any recent good edutainment titles at all? A lot of them are late 80's to early 90's and it feels like it's been a neglected genre.

I'd pre-order a high budget, Unreal Engine version of Super Solvers Treasure Mountain.

It's neglected because they don't sell. Kids do so much learning on tablets and Chromebooks nowadays, further pushing the edutainment niche off to the side, there's so much F2P poo poo under the guise of being semi-educational for kids.

That being said, I absolutely learned vocabulary and multiplication tables from Word Munchers, Number Munchers and Super Munchers ... but then again, I was born in July 1984, so I was right there for the prime. The Super Solvers games were also pretty formative.

I think the last edutainment game I got as a kid was Mario is Missing on the SNES, which even my education-obsessed parents let me trade in at Funcoland after realizing how utterly lovely it was.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Barudak posted:

Found it, Operation Neptune. For an Edutainment game it was pretty good.

Holy poo poo, I had forgotten about this for so long and your post ignited a little memory in the back of my head. Operation Neptune was tons of fun

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Timby posted:

I think the last edutainment game I got as a kid was Mario is Missing on the SNES, which even my education-obsessed parents let me trade in at Funcoland after realizing how utterly lovely it was.

Yeah. At least Mario's Time Machine had Time Surfing going for it.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Every couple of years I get the itch to play through the Island of Dr. Brain again, and it's always a great time. The combination of a point and click adventure game with interesting educational puzzles is great, plus there are heaps of terrible puns if you click "look at" on many of the background objects.
[Edit] come to think of it, this is an early 90s Sierra adventure game that you can't die or reach some kind of dead man walking state in. Holy crap.

I think it's also about time for me to reinstall one of the Incredible Machine games again too, those probably had quite a bit to do with me wanting to be a scientist or engineer when I was little.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 7, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Crazy Achmed posted:

Every couple of years I get the itch to play through the Island of Dr. Brain again, and it's always a great time. The combination of a point and click adventure game with interesting educational puzzles is great, plus there are heaps of terrible puns if you click "look at" on many of the background objects.
[Edit] come to think of it, this is an early 90s Sierra adventure game that you can't die or reach some kind of dead man walking state in. Holy crap.

Yeah that Sierra nonsense was wild. Especially when LucasArts had it figured out so you couldn't save in a no-win situation, and Sam & Max and Atlantis are some of my all time favorites. Meanwhile King's Quest V not warning you that you shouldn't eat that pie or Police Quest 3 allowing you to put an item in the evidence locker with no way to get it out to show the judge to advance the plot were not fun.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah that Sierra nonsense was wild. Especially when LucasArts had it figured out so you couldn't save in a no-win situation, and Sam & Max and Atlantis are some of my all time favorites. Meanwhile King's Quest V not warning you that you shouldn't eat that pie or Police Quest 3 allowing you to put an item in the evidence locker with no way to get it out to show the judge to advance the plot were not fun.

One of my friends is convinced that Sierra pulled stunts like that in order to drive hint line calls and guidebook sales.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

One of my friends is convinced that Sierra pulled stunts like that in order to drive hint line calls and guidebook sales.

This was later reported to have been true.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
In retrospect, the two 'edutainment' games I remember playing most in Primary school were Stickybear Math and Muppet Slate. And, well Muppet Slate was kinda just Print Shop Pro for kids.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

Zoombinis is the one I remember most, but the last one I ever played was probably 3rd grade Clue Finders.

It was a very weird game, but I sure felt like a badass when I beat it as a mere 1st grader :smuggo:

I had one where you were trying to solve the mystery of the Yeti (and at some point I screwed up something in the giant table of clues and suspects, rendering the whole thing unsolvable), and the one on a weird island that when you get far enough, you discover aliens have somehow made the island to abduct people and put them in a giant storage room, I think there's something about eating brains, I might've gotten scared by the whole concept..

The Kins posted:

The Super Solvers games were great, especially Gizmos & Gadgets.

Oh my god, they had this on the computer at school in elementary school and I could never quite remember it. I kinda reminding not having much of an idea of what was going on, but thinking it was cool.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I was throwing out some of my old childhood stuff from storage and I had completely forgotten about an educational title I had called Bodyworks Voyager: Missions in Anatomy. It was a space-sim where you are shrunk down to the size of a microbe and have to fight off enemy microbes in various parts of the body. It taught you the human anatomy and quizzed out on it periodically. I would *love* to see this get a remake and expanded upon greatly. The human body is a game environment that hasn't been explored in a long time (except maybe those Trauma games on the Wii).

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Heck yeah, I played plenty of Oregon Trail and Number Munchers back in computer lab! And Treasure Mountain was totally my jam. I had no idea that Super Solvers was a whole series, though.

I also remember liking this game where you dig around and identify minerals by color and density and hardness and the like, trying to collect as many valuable minerals as you could before your flashlight went out. After a quick search, looks like it was Murphy's Minerals on the Apple II, and looking at a playthrough I can't imagine I ever did very well in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHn2Xn-D4jE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I've been debating with myself for years whether or not I should attempt to make the maze portions of Reading Maze as a standalone thing. It's currently text only for ease of programing the maze and the rooms would look something out of an early Roguelike with the player being an @. Level 2 might look something like this, where movement and pickup would be controlled via the keyboard.
code:

--- --- ---
|...|...|...|              Looking for:
|.......|...|              Gold *
|...|...|...|              Stairs <
|-.-+---+-.-|              Dragon D
|...|...|...|              
|.....@.....|
|...|...|...|
 --- --- ---
You see (1) *  (2) / 
Doors are (W)est (E)ast
>
Of course, as I'm that type of nerd, I'll eventually add in optional educational content.