Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

setting aside my privacy issues with them, i'm not going to sign up for a dozen discords and six slacks to keep up with the threads of conversation i follow across this place so yeah, if sa goes away i'm probably done with internet posting.

people who mainly post in c-spam posting in yospos is not the problem.

i won’t lie

the yospos discord has everything you need including a loving admin team willing to cater to the needs of the masses without resorting to domestic paedofilia or whatever hosed up poo poo lowtax is and befriends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it doesn't have threads or a way to quote good posts or a way to collate great posts into megathread ops. there is no point in effort posting in an irc channel

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
except for the thrill you get from writing it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

discord is not an alternative for a forum

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
time to resurrect r/yospos?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

it doesn't have threads or a way to quote good posts or a way to collate great posts into megathread ops. there is no point in effort posting in an irc channel

you just have to be more succinct

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lets just see what happens with SA first

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Tankakern posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

don't get me wrong the yoscord is p deece but it ain't a forums

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tankakern posted:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

bears reiterating. not that i am hugely optimistic, but it is also a bit foolish to declare the subforum dead in favor of <x> within 72 hours, with the <x> only alternative having been considered.

but otoh it is of course down to everyones conscience. my take is largely that i don't care too much about posting, but i wont spend any more money.

also discord not being a forum is not just a bad thing, people are chatting more freely on discord which is cool and good.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i think at the moment the idea is that there's a fallback for coordination if the site closes.

if everything goes well and the site stays up, thats good.

if they don't, at least you can discuss alternatives.

but without a way to contact people outside of the forums, if they shut down everyone is lost.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tankakern posted:

it's not even a good alternative for IRC

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah but the app works well and notifications actually work

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

3D Megadoodoo posted:

discord doesnt even support ansci color codes who even cares about embedded media ityool 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

embedded tweets is my only exposure to twitter and i hate them so goddamn much

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

that's because it's not, discord is essentually jaming forums and instant messaging together in a weird way that i find works quite well.
but it's a direct replacement for neither.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
been having a good time on Discord tbh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

echinopsis posted:

yeah but the app works well and notifications actually work

chat notifications are a thing that no reasonable person would ever want to happen

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

time to resurrect r/yospos?

ugh. idk jonny.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
hack the planet

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

im a horrible cranky internet curmudgeon who hates new technology like most people here, but as far as leaky lifeboats go the yoscord ain't so bad

hop in and shitpost a bit or just idle forever nbd

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

setting aside my privacy issues with them, i'm not going to sign up for a dozen discords and six slacks to keep up with the threads of conversation i follow across this place so yeah, if sa goes away i'm probably done with internet posting.

yeah I feel this way as well

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
yoscord’s v chill and v active

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I mean we're all remote working so are online 24/7 so that's gonna make it busier than "normal"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

its also significantly harder to disengage discord than a forum since u post and immediately get an answer without :f5:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it's super fast and it scares my boomer brain

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

after authing, it said i had 5 minutes to do something, but i didn’t read the message in time before it disappeared

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Good Sphere posted:

after authing, it said i had 5 minutes to do something, but i didn’t read the message in time before it disappeared

i think it wanted you to just type something to make the bot reload your profile, if you're in things are fine i think?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i think it wanted you to just type something to make the bot reload your profile, if you're in things are fine i think?

i got a message saying i’m in, but the channel still says readonly, and nothing looks to be inside of it. i reloaded discord too

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

there’s a character string you need to paste into your SA about me section then you go back to your PMs with the admin bot thingy and click “i’m done”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’m mega dumb but still figured it out so i have faith in u

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if the discord bot were stealing information, what exactly would it be stealing?

i don't particularly care if some rando on the internet knows that i am a member of some flight simulator discords, and imo you shouldn't be posting any more identifying information to any discord than you would to the forums, so...

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

President Beep posted:

there’s a character string you need to paste into your SA about me section then you go back to your PMs with the admin bot thingy and click “i’m done”

thanks i re-authed, and i’m in now

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

if the discord bot were stealing information, what exactly would it be stealing?

i don't particularly care if some rando on the internet knows that i am a member of some flight simulator discords, and imo you shouldn't be posting any more identifying information to any discord than you would to the forums, so...
disclaimer: i'm new to this stuff and still trying to figure it out.

specifically, gdn bot has access to to discord user ids, which is necessary to associate sa account -> discord user, but i believe discord user ids are global across *all* discords. so you can identify a targeted account across the entire discord system, which may require access to those discords but there are plenty of public and also sensitive groups in existence -- like addiction recovery groups, or mental illness support, or local event groups that can be leveraged to doxx/harass people.

the specific thing that weirds me out is in iamkale's faq about gdn bot. what the heck is "a bit of read-only admin panel access"?

IAmKale posted:

And for a bit of GDN history: while he's not very popular around these parts, SA member Tempus Thales originally came to me three or four years back with an idea for a "Discord directory website". I started work on the homepage and v1 of GDN bot and soon after launched Goon Discord Network in 2016.

Tempus had historically been the public face of the network (for better or worse) while I'd been content to work behind the scenes as the sole developer of the bot, the website, and all of its infrastructure. I want to emphasize that going forward nothing happens in GDN without my say-so - I give Tempus a bit of read-only admin panel access out of respect for his championing the bot this far, but in the end I'm the final administrative decision maker who ultimately checks the box that blacklists you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

you should be posting less identifying information on discord than you do here. the big difference between these forums and just about every other place on the internet is that sa does not appear to be selling the content of our posts and user information to anyone who knocks on the door and i don't believe i can say the same thing about discord.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
:chome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Bloody posted:

it doesn't have ... a way to quote good posts

no such thing