Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
and nobody knows why lmao

https://www.slashgear.com/samsung-blu-ray-dvd-players-have-suddenly-stopped-working-21625686/

samsung has no plans on fixing this a spokesperson said today.

this is why internet-connected devices are poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

https://www.slashgear.com/samsung-blu-ray-dvd-players-have-suddenly-stopped-working-21625686/

:owned:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i knew I shouldn't have bought that sarnsung pacemaker

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if you wanted your electronics to work maybe you should have tried harder to stop the ceos son from being arrested on corruption charges

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think mine is a Sony? I don't know that I've actually ever played an DVD on it, I used to use it as a Netflix box before I got a Roku (and now a RokuTV)?

:shrug:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lucky we bought lg all those years ago

lucky goldstar, even

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's too bad oppo stopped making disc spinners, they were the best at being simple reliable players

I still watch a lot of blu rays and dvds although I got a 4k player and the only 4k discs I own are the ones that came with the player

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It seems like RokuTV is the least bad of the TVs these days, they're all horrible and data-thiefy but at least the Roku's interface (mostly) works?

:shug:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

It seems like RokuTV is the least bad of the TVs these days, they're all horrible and data-thiefy but at least the Roku's interface (mostly) works?

:shug:

you mean it will work until they get bought by another company and the same thing happens to "legacy" devices

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

your holding it wrong

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

you mean it will work until they get bought by another company and the same thing happens to "legacy" devices

It always pisses me off when a writer resorts to the lazy-rear end "As you know, General..." exposition dump.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
roku is better than the appletv because the appletv remote is loving awful

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

roku is better than the appletv because the appletv remote is loving awful

i use the iphone app op

movax
Aug 30, 2008

so which timer / date function overflowed or broke

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
im busy playing candy crush on my iphone sorry i need a dedicated remote with physical buttons that i can push while I'm half asleep

pram
Jun 10, 2001

samsung has no plans on fixing this

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

rotor posted:

im busy playing candy crush on my iphone sorry i need a dedicated remote with physical buttons that i can push while I'm half asleep

join my yospos team in candy crush: soda saga!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it’s all a bunch of randos

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the moral of the story is that your .mkv files will never stop working

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva

qirex posted:

it's too bad oppo stopped making disc spinners, they were the best at being simple reliable players

I still watch a lot of blu rays and dvds although I got a 4k player and the only 4k discs I own are the ones that came with the player

agreed. a few weeks i almost accidentally snapped the tray off when i was changing discs and got real nervous but thank god its ok. good build quality, remote has a nice heft to it, and the menus are easy.

but the best part about the player is i never connected it to the internet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my current sony is very needs suiting but every once in a while I'll pull out one of my old hong kong dvds and almost try to play it, then realize my foolishness and launch transmission

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

qirex posted:

my current sony is very needs suiting but every once in a while I'll pull out one of my old hong kong dvds and almost try to play it, then realize my foolishness and launch transmission

what is the foolishness here

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SRQ posted:

what is the foolishness here

oppos were all region players, my hk movies are r3 and my newer sony is region 1 for dvds [like seriously who still cares about dvds?]

it was hilarious that hk got its own region during the dvd days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

qirex posted:

oppos were all region players, my hk movies are r3 and my newer sony is region 1 for dvds [like seriously who still cares about dvds?]

it was hilarious that hk got its own region during the dvd days

the nine region dvd anti piracy scheme was laughably overwrought. the three-region bluray scheme is still silly but less of a pain in the rear end.

video piracy still easier a lot of the time though. apple largely took the sting out of audio piracy by making it easier to buy than steal; somehow this lesson has been forgotten.