Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

distributed sovereignty

Every person a president!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

After a tied vote between distributed sovereignty and the optimization imperative, a tie-breaker in the Twitch Chat made out society decide to move towards the optimization improvement. With a centrally planned economy, surely nothing can go wrong with an omniscient AI making all of the decisions for the good of the nation. But until the supercomputer is turned on, the Maori remain a typical communist country.

Our builders replace a monastery with a solar power plant; new technology offers us ways of generating clean power for our factories, research labs, and broadcast centres.

The advanced Maori navy quickly captures this island near the mysterious Bermuda Triangle.

As if the Aztecs' luck couldn't get any worse, a flood pillages some of their farms outside Teotihuacan.

With drones relaying real-time target information to the bombard crews, another Aztec city quickly falls, while Washington is captured and liberated for the Americans.

The world votes not to get involved in the War To Liberate America. However, they do vote to remove the Mauri beliefs from Madrid and return the Spanish to idol worship!

The people vote that burning oil for fuel is acceptable to mechanize our military. We have lots of gold to rapidly improve our bombards to artillery, and take another city, while our navy frees Philadelphia. It turns out Roosevelt hates us for starting a war more than he loves us for returning his cities to him.

The AI Overlord achieves intellectual perfection, and our geniuses and generals agree to put it in charge of our society. The people vote to achieve victory through international diplomacy, working to make the world a better place. The AI calculates the coherent extrapolated volition of our people and single-mindedly works to achieve its goal by any means necessary.

The AI computes that we will improve our international diplomatic reputation if we destroy the nation that hates us most. The last Aztec city falls, and Montezuma is captured and beheaded. The War To Liberate America ends with 3,475,428 human casualties, and the AI Overlord determines that casualty counts are irrelevant to being the most diplomatically successful nation in the world.

Furthermore, the AI calculates that the only way to win against the diplomatic emergency trying to convert Madrid away from Mauri beliefs is to invade Spain and kill all of their inquisitors.

The bands Schoolhouse Rock and Botanica break up, but unless a concert generates profit for the nation it is outside the goal parameters of the Maori government.

Our nuclear submarines bombard Toledo with high-explosive missiles as mechanized infantry prepares to capture the city.

The AI Overlord realizes that in the future, our oil- and coal-burning ships may cause changes in global temperature and melt the polar ice caps. It further calculates that carbon capture projects will prevent this possibility and improve diplomatic favour, and orders every city to dedicate all of their productivity towards this goal.

The tiny nation of Georgia has declared war on us, but this is irrelevant to goal optimization unless it threatens our diplomatic standing.

Mauri rock band The Holy Rollers has converted most of the Roman Empire with their wildly popular concerts. The band has been very lucky to have so much success and never need to break up due to artistic failure or creative differences.

The murder of Spanish Inquisitors convinces the people of Madrid to convert to our beliefs, putting the Maori in a strong position to overcome the religious emergency.

We have 28,084,466 humans in our core empire, 1,895,504 humans in our new North American territory, and 534,313 humans under occupation in Spain.

What objective should the AI Overlord optimize in the next update?

Diplomatic victory
Science victory
Cultural victory

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Goddamn it, :anarchists: hopes got dashed on the shores of :ussr: again.

While I'm completely behind steamrolling over any theocratic inquisition state I believe we should always aspire to win Diplomatically

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I, for one, welcome our AI overlords

While I'm personally rooting for a religious victory, that's not one of the options, so I'll just have to vote for culture

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Beauty has always been apart of our culture. Our art, our music, our great buildings, all works of beauty. We must show the world that beauty is what unites us. Show the world this fact by going for a cultural victory

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Communist supercomputer?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/13/planning-machine

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
We shall become the Culture.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I, for one, welcome our Marxist computer overlords.

Let’s stick with diplomatic for now beep boop kill all inquisitors

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I am planning to stream again tonight in just under 3 hours, but if I'm not online by 9:10 Eastern, assume I wasn't able to.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Fully-optimised luxury gay space communism.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sorry about not streaming, I won't be able to for a few nights. Since real-time decisions aren't part of this government, I'm just going to make a regular screenshot update.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PROCESSING NEW INFORMATION. CALIBRATING GOAL PARAMETERS.

Despite never having any Great Writers, the Maori somehow win the Nobel Prize in Literature. CALIBRATION COMPLETE.

The last Spanish citizens despair as missiles tear apart the walls of their city and the vast Maori army surrounds them. Suddenly, the AI Overlord orders the troops to stop attacking. It has changed to a new objective: Cultural domination. Conquering a smaller nation might harm diplomatic relations and cause problems attracting tourists, so it prepares to make peace with the Spain.

To attract more tourists, the AI orders the creation of a bridge to Tasmania.

The Maori spend some of their gold reserves on builders to construct ski resorts in Mexico and seaside resorts all over the breathtaking coastlines of the empire.

A new set of policies focuses on maximizing tourism from other civilizations, so that Maori culture will be the only one of any importance. Meanwhile, the World Congress votes to send emergency aid to Mali and the Mapuche after a pair of natural disasters, and to create a Nobel Peace Prize for whoever generates the most diplomatic favour in the next 40 years.

Our traders go to as many different nations as possible to promote tourism.

A major flood kills 81,473 humans in Teotihuacan. Repairing the damage is deemed an acceptable objective.

A naturalist creates a beautiful national park near Texcoco.

In order to become the most dominant culture, eliminating the second-most dominant will expedite this objective. The AI Overlord denounces Brazil in preparation for a colonial war.

The great engineer Gustave Eiffel will help create the Eiffel Tower. Meanwhile, Maori builders plant forests all over the former Aztec empire to benefit from the great increase in production.

Texcoco creates its first Wonder of the World. This will make all tiles near cities in the Maori Empire more appealing, which increases the number of tourists who will visit our Seaside Resorts.

Maori culture is so politically advanced that we simply research a "Future Civic", which grants diplomatic favour and gives one governor a promotion.

The city of Salvador falls with terrifying speed against the onslaught of Maori missiles.

Brazil cannot hope to fight back with their swords and pikes against airplanes that bomb them with impunity. Our mechanized infantry capture Fortaleza with ease.

We are more than halfway to controlling every culture in the world. Meanwhile, the Mauri religion is the majority in 8 empires, though it has no influence over the very faithful Orthodox Christians of Russia.

Also, our AI Overlord has almost achieved its objectives of dominating the World Congress in diplomacy. Our many city-state tributaries help us even though the great empires fear our benevolent and omniscient computer leader.

The Maori Empire contains 31,839,693 humans in the home continent region, 2,575,443 humans in the formerly Aztec region, 1,193,854 humans in the formerly Spanish region, and 1,769,617 humans under occupation in Brazil.

What objective should the AI Overlord optimize in the next update?

Diplomatic victory
Cultural victory
Religious Victory

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Obviously the only humane way is Diplo*CLANG*
:confused: Ohhh my head, where did this roof tile came from... where was I? oh yeah- religious victory

I'm gonna go rest for a while...

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
As amusing as ‘deus volt’ would be, stick with culture.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
bleep bloop Culture Victory \x0D \x0A

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Deus Volt

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Let's continue with culture. I have nothing against flipping from one victory to another, but religious and domination are just unpleasant on a map this size. Invading Spain for no reason and converting them all through city captures is hilarious, but doing it 10 more times is less so.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

continuing to push for culture

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

keep culture objective but tweak the AI to prioritize wonders in cities without wonders. We need beauty all across the world not just for our religious values but also to improve our appeal globally

AKA get the amundsen south pole station in the antarctic ASAP and generate tourism from the frozen coasts

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DelilahFlowers posted:

AKA get the amundsen south pole station in the antarctic ASAP and generate tourism from the frozen coasts

I was already going for this, but it takes a long time to build a wonder in a brand-new city.

THE AI OVERLORD WILL CONTINUE TO OPTIMIZE FOR CULTURAL MAXIMIZATION. NOTE THAT ITS HUMOUR MODULE FOUND "DEUS VOLT" VERY AMUSING.

The bombardment of Brazil continues. Rio de Janeiro and Kashamarka fall in the same turn, and the AI Overlord restores the Incan leadership to power. This action makes the international community happy, which lowers the chance of a war that could be bad for tourism.

The more artifacts the archaeologists find, the easier it is to create themed museums.

Governor Reyna the Financier has achieved every promotion she can possibly get. As the Maori develop into future political civics, this will happen quickly for all of our governors.

After decades of being technically at war with no shots fired, Georgia makes peace. (There's an annoying tactic human players can use where you declare war on the suzerain of Geneva, to deny them that 15% science boost for being at peace)

The bridge to Tasmania is complete, which will let the citizens of O Ngunnawal easily visit the stadium to watch games of Maori Rules Football.

The pious Mauri citizens of Barcelona rebel and peacefully join the Mauri Empire.

Canada has become sophisticated enough to appreciate the value of artifacts, so they ask our archaelogists to stop stealing their cultural heritage. There are plenty of civilizations to plunder, so you can usually get away with stealing one artifact from each one.

One of our cities created a Giant Death Robot, a hyper-powerful amphibious military unit that can easily capture cities all by itself. Just in case.

With seasteading technology, the housing crisis is a thing of the past. Millions of citizens live in great domed suburbs on the deep ocean.

The AI Overlord wins the Nobel Peace Prize, which triggers a wave of great people to move to our empire: Einstein, Liszt, Tchaikovsky, Goddard, and... Alfred Nobel? (This is the point where we would have won by diplomacy if we'd tried for that route)

The Holy Rollers perform in Tbilisi, the holy city of Buddhism, and instantly convert it to Mauri beliefs. They have been touring the world for as long as living memory, drawing huge crowds at every concert and converting entire empires to our beliefs. (Rock bands are incredibly good at religious conversion because with the right promotion, they can instantly convert a city regardless of how devoted it is to a different faith)

With the rest of the world just about to enter the Modern era, the advanced Maori empire have officially created a culture that all nations follow more than their own culture.

We've certainly come a long way from a settlement of 7,000 near the Great Barrier Reef. The Maori Empire has 39,312,130 citizens near the home continent, and 14,590,759 citizens elsewhere in the empire.

As you can see, we used the Maori head start and never let go of the lead it gave us.

AI PARAMETERS COMPLETE. SHUTTING DOWN.

Thank you to everyone who voted and contributed to this great nation! It turned out that sudden changes in government and objectives were easy to adapt to, as long as I kept building on what already existed and letting the cities grow. I appreciate that none of you tried to actually sabotage things, although I usually kept the voting options to reasonable choices. It would be interesting to do something with more direct control, although I'm not sure how I'd do that since Twitch lag is a problem.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Chamale posted:

One of our cities created a Giant Death Robot, a hyper-powerful amphibious military unit that can easily capture cities all by itself. Just in case.
Wait, that's a thing? :wtc:

Chamale posted:

As you can see, we used the Maori head start and never let go of the lead it gave us.

AI PARAMETERS COMPLETE. SHUTTING DOWN.

Thank you to everyone who voted and contributed to this great nation! It turned out that sudden changes in government and objectives were easy to adapt to, as long as I kept building on what already existed and letting the cities grow. I appreciate that none of you tried to actually sabotage things, although I usually kept the voting options to reasonable choices. It would be interesting to do something with more direct control, although I'm not sure how I'd do that since Twitch lag is a problem.
:toot:
We did it, yaaay

So, does that mean the LP is over? Or are you planning on doing something more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Blaziken386 posted:

So, does that mean the LP is over? Or are you planning on doing something more?

I suppose it's over, but I may do something similar in the future. Like I said, I wish I could do more of a real-time thing with more individual control, but I don't know exactly how I'd implement it in a plausible way since you need one person to push the buttons. Maybe I could give each city a "mayor" who I'd contact and ask for a decision every time the city has to build something, but that would involve a whole lot of individual buy-in.

I'm doing a degree in international relations, and there's an old school of thought that says power is the only thing that dictates the actions of nations. Newer theories take into account things like trust, values, and political struggles, so I thought it would be interesting to play a game of Civ in a way that reflects that a bit more than simply trying to win. And I like reading about artificial intelligence, it was fun role-playing as the kind of amoral optimizer that would invade Brazil to eliminate competition for tourism.