Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What is this?

Doctor Who: The Adventure Games is a series of episodic third-person adventure games and were based on a TV series called, surprisingly enough, Doctor Who. They were initially released for free (to UK residents) through the BBC's official Doctor Who website but were later compiled and released for international sale. The first season is composed of four episodes and they were so popular the BBC commissioned a second series. Unfortunately, the second series was cancelled after the release of one episode as the BBC wanted to focus the Doctor Who brand onto bigger markets. The Adventure Games were available to buy on Steam until 2017, the developer's license with the BBC expired and it's doubtful whether it will ever be renewed.

I believe that the events in the games coincide with the fifth season of the revived TV series. The games in the first series centre around the adventures of the eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith) and his companion, Amy Pond. The second series introduced a second companion from the TV show, Rory Williams.

Do I need in-depth knowledge before entering into this LP?

Even though this is an established brand with a long history, the short answer is no. You can get through this series without needing to have any knowledge of Doctor Who beforehand. My own knowledge of Doctor Who is very limited. I grew up with Sylvestor McCoy and watched some of the older episodes when I was growing up but never really got into it. I watched two or three seasons of the newer Doctor Who series and haven't really seen anything since. I'm doing this LP purely as an adventure game fan.

The mechanics of this game are pretty simple and can be explained easily through a few short tutorial pop-ups. The mechanics are pretty simple, there aren't a lot of hotspots to uncover and the inventory system is very basic. The puzzles can be divided into three sections: Stealth, inventory and mini-games. We will be seeing a lot of stealth puzzles and a lot of mini-games. And I when I say a lot, I mean a lot! I will point out now that I'm not very good at stealth and I'm also not a fan of mini-games.

Let's Play details

This will be a video Let's Play and I will be doing commentary as I record. I will post one video every Sunday but if I have more time available I may post a video mid-week.

There are collectables to find throughout each episode and I will be collecting them all in this playthrough.

Let's Play: Doctor Who: The Adventure Games

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Collectables & Facts (Thumbnailed because there will be a lot of these.)

Doctors

Companions

Friends

Enemies

Jelly Babies

Facts

Jacobean Life

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 25, 2020

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013
I always like the pairing of just Amy and The Doctor. They worked well with one another.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Wow, this is...something. You can really see the lack of budget, which makes sense because these were originally free, but it does have its own kind of odd charm.

Also, Dalekanium is absolutely an established thing, and yes, it's a stupid name. But it is self-descriptive!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Epicmissingno posted:

Wow, this is...something. You can really see the lack of budget, which makes sense because these were originally free, but it does have its own kind of odd charm.

Also, Dalekanium is absolutely an established thing, and yes, it's a stupid name. But it is self-descriptive!

I may complain about the over use of stealth and mini-games, but this is actually pretty decent to play over-all considering they were originally free. I bought this on Steam a few years ago and I have no regrets, I quite enjoyed playing them the first time around. Theres a few weird bugs and glitches here and there, the path finding isn't perfect either as I managed to break the game at one point. Edit: But for an adventure-lite game it's pretty decent.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 6, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's hard to complain too much about free, unless you paid for it afterwards I suppose. If this stealth is what you get then you can only hope the game has something like the rest of Beyond Good and Evil to back it up. Looking forward to the inevitable sliding block puzzle!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the second and final video of "City Of The Daleks." The Doctor and Amy infiltrate Kaalan even further and meet the mastermind behind the invasion of Earth.

I've taken some time off from work so I have a little extra to spare, ao these videos may appear a little faster than usual. I've already recorded the next episode and it's definitely an overall improvement over this one.

New Collectables!

Doctors

Companions

Friends

Jelly Babies

Facts

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the first of two episodes of "Blood Of The Cybermen". It's a marked improvement over the first episode, it's probably the best of the first run of episodes, to be honest. Is having both the Daleks and the Cybermen in the first two episodes pandering to the fan base? This episode was actually quite fun to play, the mini-games, on the other hand, weren't.

Doctors

Companions

Enemies

Jelly Babies

Facts

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Okay, I know from context what the hell a mess caddie is but what the hell is a mess caddie.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I seem to have found another bug while I was preparing to record the fifth episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeVSQnHaz88

Kibayasu posted:

Okay, I know from context what the hell a mess caddie is but what the hell is a mess caddie.

I don't really know, it's not a name that I've ever heard before. Why is it not just called a thermal flask or a water bottle? The mess part I can associate with a mess hall but I'm struggling with the caddie part. Caddie implies golf, maybe they just misspelt caddy? I've searched for "water caddy" and the results are big plastic water containers.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the second and final video of this episode. More stealth, more mini-games, more collectables, a pathfinding problem and, surprisingly, some Cybermen.

Doctors

Companions

Friends

Jelly Babies

Facts

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I pressed submit too early. This video is the episode "TARDIS" in its entirety. It's a very short episode as it's only set in two rooms and there isn't a whole lot to interact with. Well, apart from the many facts strewn around the second room. I believe that this episode features an opposition that is unique to this game series. This is an okay episode, it tries to differ from the pace of the first two episodes but it's still chock full of mini-games. One of these mini-games is totally reliant on you knowing some Doctor Who trivia, thankfully the answers can be found throughout the episode.

Doctors

Companions

Friends

Enemies

Jelly Babies

Facts

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 14, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Man, how many enemies in Doctor Who are there which eat your time.

For what was clearly just an excuse to poke around in the TARDIS a bit and mess with the control panel that was charming enough.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Man, how many enemies in Doctor Who are there which eat your time.

For what was clearly just an excuse to poke around in the TARDIS a bit and mess with the control panel that was charming enough.

From what I've learnt by playing this series, it's at least one.

This wasn't a bad episode to play, it was confined and short but at least it was trying to do something different. The quiz was a bit much for me though, I feel like it slipped a couple of questions in that weren't in the facts that we collected. Either that or I probably wasn't paying enough attention to them.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the first of two parts. I think at this point they've hit a stride and made another fairly solid episode. There's a fair amount of variety but it does suffer from a lot of running around empty corridors, they do try to "liven" things up while you do it but you're still spending time running around empty corridors. This video has an ending with a difference!

Doctors

Companions

Enemies

Jelly Babies

Facts

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The second part of this episode and the final video of the first series.

Doctors

Companions

Friends

Enemies

Jelly Babies

Facts

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the first of four videos of the second and final season. This is the only episode of the second season as they cancelled it shortly after this was released. It's a shame really as this is a solid episode, even though it's the same engine and still relies on stealth segments and mini-games, this episode is a lot bigger in scope and they made some positive changes. It feels more like a proper adventure game as the game world is bigger, there's a lot more to do and more people to speak too.

There aren't any collectables in this episode, but there are a lot of facts to collect. There are only four new "Who Facts" to collect and they appear shortly after the start of the episode. This episode has forty-one facts about the Jacobean era to collect throughout the game.

Who Facts

Jacobean Life

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Too bad they couldn’t show more with the Vashta Nerada, the one other Doctor Who enemy I know about, besides the suits and the cutscene but obviously whatever they were working with was very limited.

It’s always amazing how in all of time they manage to find themselves in British places or run into British people though :v:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Too bad they couldn’t show more with the Vashta Nerada, the one other Doctor Who enemy I know about, besides the suits and the cutscene but obviously whatever they were working with was very limited.

It’s always amazing how in all of time they manage to find themselves in British places or run into British people though :v:

I definitely got the feeling that the Daleks and the Cybermen were intentional fan service. *Edit: They could have easily utilised other storylines from the 2010 series.* From what I understand, the episodes were meant to fit around the TV show and there is some continuity between them both. I'm not even going to begin to explain how but there is a Steam guide that goes into a lot of depth with it all: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=239559977

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 20, 2020

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Amy finds out more about Charlie, the Doctor closes the last of the lesions and Rory bumps into some old friends of the Doctor's. A new area has also opened up to us in this video and we get to speak to some fairly explosive personalities.

Jacobean Life

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I speculate what happened to Mr Rod is that enemies are programmed to have a small sight radius when a character is crouched but a larger one when a character is standing, and he stood up in front of one.

If this wasn't an adventure game I'd be looking forward to bashing some heads with the ceremonial mace they name-dropped.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, the Doctor completes his tasks and manages to examine a priest's hole, Rory and Amy explore the sewers and find the Rutan ship while evading the Sontarans and the plot thickens even further at the end. The final video will be crammed full of drama!

Kibayasu posted:

I speculate what happened to Mr Rod is that enemies are programmed to have a small sight radius when a character is crouched but a larger one when a character is standing, and he stood up in front of one.

If this wasn't an adventure game I'd be looking forward to bashing some heads with the ceremonial mace they name-dropped.

The Sontaran was stood still and his line of sight didn't even clear the water. It could just be that the AI reacts differently to NPC's.

From what I've read, they weren't keen on making a combat-based game as the Doctor is a non-violent character. The final video may surprise you a little (and I mean little) as they add a new mechanic to the gameplay that is used in only a handful of situations.

Jacobean Life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the final video of this episode and of this LP. I really had no intentions of doing an LP of this any time soon as I already have quite a lengthy list of games that I want to do. I was originally intending to just complete where I had left off five years ago. I've already started my next LP, Beyond A Steel Sky, which was another spur of the moment decision.

Jacobean Life