Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Problem description: Computer not recognizing keyboard on log in screen. The mouse works fine. Can't get computer to recognize input of Ctrl + Alt + Del. The keyboard is getting power as the light for Caps Lock goes on when pressed. I don't see anything to click on with the mouse.

Attempted fixes: Multiple restarts. Switched USB connection for keyboard to other ports. Tried holding ESC when booting up to go to safe mode but that didn't do anything. I tried connecting the keyboard to an older desktop we have and it worked fine.

I don't have another keyboard available to connect to the newer desktop to get past the ctrl + alt + del screen (the older desktop uses a PS/2 keyboard that can't connect to the newer desktop). Next step was going to be to buy a different keyboard but was hoping for fix.

Recent changes: This is a work computer that was brought home, had been working previously.

Operating system: Windows 10 Enterprise.

System specs: HP EliteDesk 705 G4 SFF. Keyboard is HP SK-2025.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Update: resolved, got different keyboard and that worked.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sucks when this happens. Time to go to Kmart and spend ten bucks.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Zeluth posted:

Sucks when this happens. Time to go to Kmart and spend ten bucks.

Thanks yeah, getting a different keyboard from the office resolved the issue.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The couple times it'd happened to me it was because Windows really wanted to do hardware setup for the new keyboard, but won't do that unless signed in. For future reference, using the on-screen keyboard from the accessibility options should work if you can't get a different keyboard to try.