Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Sending out probes using macro-quantum effects to search a vast space would actually be a really elegant explanation, but that doesn't seem to be the game's version of 'superposition' (though to be fair, I don't think it's a term they ever use). Only one quantum object (or 'attached' quantum object such as Solanum) exists at any particular point in space-time. Not to mention that the probe apparently is not a quantum object.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hirayuki posted:

Thanks for this suggestion, and wow.

Here's a link to the current shipless WR if anyone wants to see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp6rUF31Y30

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

Holy poo poo, this was something else.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really enjoyed your playthrough.
You sort of missed one really cool thing in the final video:
In the quantum place, the Nomai were pointing at the sky, then if you looked up there and back down, they kept on climbing on each others shoulders until they finally got replaced by the space ship. I thought that was a cool way to symbolize how they worked together in their drive to explore.

Cool LP you guys. Hope to hear from you soon!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Amy and I just finished recording the bonus episode, so that should be up soon. It prompts me to ask a question of the community here: Does anyone know a good alternate to OBS for recording PC games? I recently switched from an Nvidia GPU to an AMD one, and while I love it, recording is less than stellar. OBS constantly gives me errors, saying that the encoding is overloaded, and we've lost footage more than once because of it. I know this isn't a tech support forum, I'm just pissed about stuff right now.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I really enjoyed your playthrough.
You sort of missed one really cool thing in the final video:
In the quantum place, the Nomai were pointing at the sky, then if you looked up there and back down, they kept on climbing on each others shoulders until they finally got replaced by the space ship. I thought that was a cool way to symbolize how they worked together in their drive to explore.

Cool LP you guys. Hope to hear from you soon!

Oh, snap, that would have been really cool to have seen. I'm going to look that up later. And thank you so much for the kind words! We definitely want to do another game soon here.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 23, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Thinking about it, it's especially cool since it invokes the research principle of "seeing more by standing on the shoulders of giants." That's actually one of my favorite quotes, since it's really humble while also glorifying the concept of scientific collaboration.

There's a stickied tech support fort thread specifically for recording LPs in this subforum. The people frequenting that could probably help you quite well. There are actually incredibly extensive information resources linked in the OP.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 23, 2020

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Reveilled posted:

That's really awesome, I hadn't thought about it but if the probe launcher obeys conservation of momentum and the recall doesn't then of course that's a way to gain speed without using fuel.

I'm kind of curious why they pause run time while resting at campfires - is it because that part of the game is dependent on cpu speed or something? It seems like it really incentivizes resting until you have the perfect planetary alignment.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Qrr posted:

That's really awesome, I hadn't thought about it but if the probe launcher obeys conservation of momentum and the recall doesn't then of course that's a way to gain speed without using fuel.

I'm kind of curious why they pause run time while resting at campfires - is it because that part of the game is dependent on cpu speed or something? It seems like it really incentivizes resting until you have the perfect planetary alignment.

I believe that’s exactly why, while you’re sleeping the game runs the solar system simulation as fast as your cpu can handle, and the last time spent resting is to get a better alignment on Dark Bramble.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

I believe that’s exactly why, while you’re sleeping the game runs the solar system simulation as fast as your cpu can handle, and the last time spent resting is to get a better alignment on Dark Bramble.

Welp, that answers a question and clears up a misconception that I had in the bonus video.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
The bonus episode is up now! It was fun to see all of the optional stuff that the game offers. And yeah, I guess I was wrong about the resting time not being hardware dependent.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Nice!

FYI, the third mask is for the Probe Tracking Module, so it can send the command to fire and the info about probes it's already fired back in time.

And Bitter Hollow was also my least favorite planet. It's so easy to lose so much time there by falling into the black hole. Really cool visually, but I got real tired of taking the portal from White Hole Station.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will take anything over Dark Bramble

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Nice conclusion, too bad you never went back to the core of the interloper to show part to the end.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Nice conclusion, too bad you never went back to the core of the interloper to show part to the end.

Holy crap, you know what? We did go back to finish the Interloper, and that must have been in the footage that we lost. I didn't realize that we hadn't re-recorded it. God, this playthrough.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It wouldn't be an Outer Wilds LP without endless time loops caused by previous fuckups, now would it? Very meta of you and Amy

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Qrr posted:

Bitter Hollow
"Brutal Hollow" works, too. As does replacing "Hollow" with "Horror" in any permutation. Bleah. (And this is speaking as an observer! I appreciate how this LP conveyed the feel of the various planets to us viewers.)

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

So there are a few other conversations you can have with your fellow astronauts. You can tell Gabbro about the Ash Twin Project - they realize that removing the core will end the time loop, but they're pretty chill about it, because they're pretty chill about everything. You can tell Riebeck that you talked to a living Nomai, and they're incredibly excited about it, but also even if the sun didn't explode they'd probably never follow in your footsteps because, y'know, space travel phobia.

And you can talk to Chert, who will have very different dialogue depending on when in the loop you talk to them. You talked to them early in the loop, when they notice that a lot of stars are going supernova. If you talk to them in the middle, they're very concerned. If you talk to them near the end, they're utterly terrified and mostly ignore your questions. And if you talk to them while End Times is playing, they've moved on to acceptance and they just want to hang out with you before everyone dies.

"How unlucky to have been born at the end of the universe."

Also, there's a shortcut to the Sunless City that I guess you forgot about. It doesn't really matter since you had no trouble with the escape pod maze and had to wait for sand anyway, but you can get into it from right behind the gravity cannon in a pile of rocks.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
With Chert, you can also tell him about the Nomai transmissions coming in to the Vessel, talking about how the universe is dying, and Chert will basically have a breakdown there and then and be unresponsive for the rest of the loop. It's a laugh.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
That Chert stuff sounds really cool. I can't even imagine what the replay value of this game must be.

Slaan posted:

It wouldn't be an Outer Wilds LP without endless time loops caused by previous fuckups, now would it? Very meta of you and Amy

Yeah, you've got it!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I can finally share my story of solving a puzzle an unintended way!

So, I took a long time to figure out the Ash Twin teleporters, and I knew I needed to visit the black hole forge. The jetpack doesn't have enough oomph to get up the collapsed tunnel or go outside it. But you know what does? The ship. I flew the ship into the interior of Brittle Hollow, somehow got it around the cables for the forge, then went up to the inside of the crust. All while fighting the intense gravity of the black hole. Then I flipped the ship and got it to land on the sticky tile and hopped out.

Then I did like you and jumped without thinking. So I had to do the whole thing all over again. And of course each successful attempt was the result of several tries. When I found out the intended solution, I simultaneously felt sheepish and really accomplished. There was an easier way, but I pulled it off in a really cool manner!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Holy crap, that's an awesome story! Yeah, this game definitely wants you to do things a certain way, but it doesn't discourage you from getting from point A to point B however you figure it out.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that reminds me, I accidentally figured out the ash twin project teleporter. Like everyone I was stumped for a bit, it never seemed to do anything. So I ended up placing a probe on top of it and went off to do other things.

Once I noticed that the probe was no longer on the pad, but also hadn't been sucked towards ember twin, that was the confirmation that the pad had to do something, and it was time to experiment. So I did it again, this time observing the probe from the alcove, where you don't get sucked towards ember twin. After that the 'trick' became obvious pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Outer Wilds is very much like Riven: The Sequel To Myst, in that it only really has a very small number of puzzles, but those puzzles happen to span the length and breadth of the game world, and bring together elements from every corner of it that you need to understand and combine in order to solve. Outer Wilds only really has three puzzles, and they're handily marked up as huge, central nodes in your giant conspiracy board on your ship: the Ash Twin Project, the Probe Tracking Module, and the Vessel*. What sets these puzzles apart from Riven is the capacity for solving some of them them accidentally. Riven's two puzzles both boil down to combination locks with, uh [opens calculator app] well one has about 6 million possibilities and the other has [opens scientific calculator app] 60,000,000,000,000,000 give or take, so those kind of put a hard stop on any idea of stumbling past them.

(*and of course the Quantum Moon, which is optional, but has the same kind of deal, while also (ironically?) being much more game-like in its conceit).

The Ash Twin Project puzzle is all about figuring out, basically, that you need to step on a plate during a window. It's fairly out in the open, figuratively and literally, in that the only real gate on it is the rising sand pillar, which will pull you away from the panel if you wait on it; you need to run onto it while the sand is rising, and that's really the only thing that could possibly keep you from stumbling in there by accident. To figure it out "properly" you combine the knowledge of the towers existence in the first place, the knowledge of how warp towers work, and the egregious technicality that the Hourglass Twins constitute a single astral body that can somehow accommodate two teleporters without cross-wiring them, which requires you to properly explore Ash Twin, the White Hole Station, and Brittle Hollow. Then, the Vessel requires you to basically "solve" Dark Bramble which requires you to find one of the other two escape pods first and also learn about anglerfish on Ember Twin (which, you might observe, very blatantly nudges you into firing your little scout at something from one position and using it as a navigational aid from another position). Finally, the Probe Tracking Module requires you to enter the observatory on Brittle Hollow and get a hint from Feldspar, who in turn sort of requires you to poke around Timber Hearth a bit, which is only hinted at from Attlerock. I suppose you can consider figuring out that the Nomai were on a quest to locate the Eye of the Universe, which is somewhere in the solar system but they needed its exact location, to be a fourth puzzle. You combine all of these things, and together they make the solution to the game.

The thing is that the Ash Twin Project is kind of the biggest deal of all of these, in that it underlies the biggest and most direct mystery of the setting, and produces the most impactful consequence, but also is the easiest to stumble upon. I don't know exactly what chain of development, uh, developments led to this outcome, but for whatever reason, they decided that the inside of Ash Twin Project should contain more or less the entire itemised history of that endeavour; the discovery of time travel, the plan with the probe cannon, the construction of the warp towers, the failure of the Sun Station, and the arrival of the Interloper. Arriving there early fills out a huge chunk of the ship log by itself. I think, personally, this was a mistake; yes, it's kind of skipping ahead a bit in the plot once you're in there, but there's still two (or three) more keys you need to figure out before you can really do anything with the warp core that's in there other than get a bad ending, and the writings you do get don't really hint at that, so, yeah, that's just kind of a weird thing. I guess the idea is that seeing the story laid out start to finish like that is part of the reward for piecing together the puzzle to get in there in the first place, and a final assurance that everyone who reaches that point is on the same page.

By the way, you can reach the core of Giant's Deep without using the cyclone if you fly into the water at like 6000m/s. Trophy for it too, natch.

Other "fun" trophies include manually landing on the Sun Station (as discussed earlier), landing the model rocket on the Attlerock, flying the model rocket into either the Sun or Hollow's Lantern, colliding with the Timber Hearth satellite, and completing the game on the first loop. (I have a theory that Annapurna Interactive have a house policy about trophies that they impose on developers, because I've played a couple of their games now and they all seem to have this approach to trophies; there's never one for just beating the game, but instead they're all weird, optional, often humourous but also very much not enjoyable to pursue things that there's basically no reason to want to do. This will probably be a chapter in the book that I keep joking that I'm writing about Trophies.)