Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
discord and SA both happen to use the same anti-DDOS protection site, CloudFlare. apparently this thing happened:

https://community.cloudflare.com/t/cloudflare-api-token-service-issues/190859

code:
Resolved - Cloudflare is investigating issues with a release that caused an interruption of service for existing API tokens for a short period of time.
good job cloudflare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

discord and SA both happen to use the same anti-DDOS protection site, CloudFlare. apparently this thing happened:

https://community.cloudflare.com/t/cloudflare-api-token-service-issues/190859

code:
Resolved - Cloudflare is investigating issues with a release that caused an interruption of service for existing API tokens for a short period of time.
good job cloudflare

Thought it was the apocalypse

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah i figured it was a gooner for sure

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
google dns was also down. basically half the internet. probably some sort of test attack from a foreign govt which I base on nothing

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The nukes have been launched :dance:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

that kind of poo poo has been happening way more frequently and im sure it will continue to happen

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
They replaced the real internet with this one.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Supreme Allah posted:

google dns was also down. basically half the internet. probably some sort of test attack from a foreign govt which I base on nothing

lol hats what I thought as well

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

this loving avavatr

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sid Vicious posted:

this loving avavatr

who are you? you seem to be some kind of cop person. Please don't post in my threads again.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Get someone to replace it with Dick Whiskey:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As always the path of least resistance leads to a really fragile status quo, and we will learn nothing from the experience

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Colonel Cancer posted:

The nukes have been launched :dance:

Laf

Might as well

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Cloudflare is more than anti DDoS, they’re a major piece of infrastructure that like a third of the web goes through, and the best DNS provider. Generally pretty rad, too, you get an insane amount of stuff for free. Pretty crazy to have an outage like this.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

chaosbreather posted:

Cloudflare is more than anti DDoS, they’re a major piece of infrastructure that like a third of the web goes through, and the best DNS provider. Generally pretty rad, too, you get an insane amount of stuff for free. Pretty crazy to have an outage like this.

so why did half the internet go off for 40 minutes last night

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The cloud is dyin', internet

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

TheAardvark posted:

Last night? No that was just the feds tapping your internet, don't worry about it.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Imagine if this happened during the immediate Yikesaroo

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i thought forums rampant ai Patient Zero Cool had finally collapsed the quartz continuum ziggurat. apparantly there is still time to save the universe. please mods do the needful and time prison Patient Zero Cool

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Engage in full on butlerian jihad on that abominable bot

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

According to one of their guys on hackernews it wasn’t an attack, just a dodgy router in Atlanta?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Yep, from their site

quote:

This afternoon we saw an outage across some parts of our network. It was not as a result of an attack. It appears a router on our global backbone announced bad routes and caused some portions of the network to not be available. We believe we have addressed the root cause and are monitoring systems for stability now.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
oh cool, a large portion of the internet is beholden to "a dodgy router in Atlanta"

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheAardvark posted:

Specific protection faults on Microsoft appropriated security encryption nodes. It’s like a 10 megawatt pull on the power grid anytime one of those chuds tries to suck a dick.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

oh cool, a large portion of the internet is beholden to "a dodgy router in Atlanta"

Yeah. The internet was designed specifically to withstand nuclear war, so it's capable of insane decentralisation. But decentralisation is more expensive than centralisation. For example we are posting on this forum instead of to our self-hosted blogs because self hosting is a hassle and we probably wouldn't even find each other's blogs. So for the exact same reasons we end up with these massive private utilities that create massive weak spots for the non-theoretical internet.

Every attempt to re-decentralise so far hasn't gone great. Mastodon is no Twitter, Diaspora is a long, long way from Facebook, Bitcoin just ended up being bank accounts, and no-one uses DDNS. Email is basically the only dominant distributed service left and it's utterly dominated by the utilities and their rules on acceptable sending and content display. It's also under attack by Slack and the like too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Would decentralization lead to more security on the user end? If so, I could imagine it's in nobody's, government or private, interest to pursue it.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
cloudflare more like ball hair

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

In the future I will be faster about dispatching groups of local vigilante goons to unplug such routers and plug them back in. Big ups to the atlanta team.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Can we bring up that south park already did it or will we get probed for sass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My router was just fine have you tried that