Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yeah proud mary roasts their beans for them and they have the best pour over in the city imo. come back someday for the one moto show. it’s the best motorcycle show I’ve ever been to lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I want to know more about that cot you used.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Looks like you had a great time!

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

Invalido posted:

I want to know more about that cot you used.

I bought the smallest cheap one I could find. It was a pain doing the extra work to break it down to leave but worth it. With a pad on top it was really comfortable. There are some weak points on this one which is why its so cheap but I am like 250lb and I bet it will last me 30 uses or more.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QS9JMGC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Same idea but packs slightly larger and is probably a bit more rugged:

https://byerofmaine.com/collections/byer-cots/products/trilite-cot?variant=32455401996427

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I've understood that cots are a thing, though I've never slept on one. I am intrigued. Seems like they would alleviate some of the biggest drawbacks of tenting. That amazon one would fit in my panniers, though if the fabric packs separate from the skeleton I don't see why the frame can't stay outside the cases, as long as the cloth part is protected from rain. Since it seems best to combine a cot like that with some kind of pad it adds some weight and bulk to the bike over what I've tried so far, but good sleep is worth a lot IMO.
I've learned I sleep very well in my hammock once I fall asleep, but the method has some drawbacks along with the advantages. Setup/takedown of the tarp being a chore, sticky evergreen resin getting on things, feeling somewhat exposed compared to in a tent come to mind, as well the difficulty to get into the sleeping bag when in the hammock. I can see why some hangers ditch the bag entirely and use some type of blanket instead.

I saw this crazy thing at a sporting goods store:

It packs pretty big and long, weighs a hefty 4kg and is supposed to combine with a foam/air mattress that packs even bigger and weighs an additional 3kg. Does look comfy though (and gets great reviews), very glamping. Could possibly be inflated real fast with motorcycle exhaust, who know? I'm not getting one, but a cot like those linked above might be well worth a try.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I’m personally fine sleeping on just a cot with just a bag and no pad, but everyone’s got their own preference.

I’ve never cared for large inflatable mattresses like that of any kind - they kinda suck to sleep on because they’re pretty bouncy if they actually stay fully inflated, and if they don’t you slowly lose air and wake up on the ground in the middle of the night.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thinking of piecing together a softbag sidebag setup for some light overnight moto camping in '24. I think I'm starting to settle on Giant Loop's kit in the form of two Mototrekk bags on their OEM rack adapter.

Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about Giant Loop's build quality one way or the other, or anything I should be looking at.

I know in my heart that Mosko is the "buy once cry once" option, but I've been doing a lot of crying lately so I'm hoping to put together a somewhat less pricey kit. Ideally under $1000CAD if I can, bags and rack mounts all in, but not going to die on that hill. Black friday deals are almost here so I'll wait to see what's what in the next few coming days.

I have a big Nelson Rigg tailbag that I hate, but it does provide a fair amount of storage for things like a tent and other larger items, so I don't think I need shipping containers on either side.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Giant Loop is fine imo. it’s all older, heavier designs, but nothing bad. I’d just as soon get some cheapo tusk chinesium stuff though if you’re not wanting to drop mo$ko coin (it’s 100% worth it though)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So you know what's funny, I actually have the Tusk hard panniers and somehow I forgot to even consider the brand when shopping for soft luggage. I'll definitely check them out as well. Barring any obvious disaster stories, I expect a lot of the non-premium brands are probably about the same, I expect, so I'll just see what looks good at what price this weekend. Thanks!

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

some kinda jackal posted:

Thinking of piecing together a softbag sidebag setup for some light overnight moto camping in '24.

..Ideally under $1000CAD if I can, bags and rack mounts all in, but not going to die on that hill.

You don't really need a lot of expensive gear to start motocamping. I got into it on a tiny SR400 with a set of these with el cheapo $20 bag supports, and a milk crate w/ a contractor trash bag in it for a top case. I did waterproof the soft bags using the old silicone and mineral spirits trick (cost me another :10bux:). Anything that wouldn't fit there got bungied to the back of the seat.

Heck I was using an old 4-man dome tent I had laying around. No chair, just took the milk crate off the back of the bike and sat on that, or on the ground with my back against a tree. Kitchen consisted of a Walmart special "mess kit", an old tomato can for boiling water, an army surplus knife/spoon/fork set, and an alcohol stove off Amazon burning denatured alcohol.

I did a week in the Adirondack mountains with that kit. Kept my food, toiletries, and cookware in the soft bags and used some paracord and a carabiner to hang them from a tree.

Cheapass to middle of the road backpacking gear from Amazon is good for getting into motocamping if you're not sure you'll like it.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm very much a motocamping noob, having been on exactly two trips. After a week in Norway the only thing I know for sure about bags is that waterproof bags are very good and convenient if you're going to be rained upon a lot. The only other real lesson I've learned is that gear weight doesn't matter much at all when compared to walking with a backpack, but with my setup at least (triplet of givi hardcases) volume of gear is still a consideration, especially if I want to have room enough in the top case for the helmet which is very nice to have IMO.
For overnight trips you can get away with all kinds of janky stuff though, just to see if motocamping is something you want to do more of. It's entirely possible to just put stuff in trash bags and tie these to the bike with lots of string or something, if you only need to do it twice every trip, for example.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Invalido posted:

I'm very much a motocamping noob, having been on exactly two trips. After a week in Norway the only thing I know for sure about bags is that waterproof bags are very good and convenient if you're going to be rained upon a lot. The only other real lesson I've learned is that gear weight doesn't matter much at all when compared to walking with a backpack, but with my setup at least (triplet of givi hardcases) volume of gear is still a consideration, especially if I want to have room enough in the top case for the helmet which is very nice to have IMO.
For overnight trips you can get away with all kinds of janky stuff though, just to see if motocamping is something you want to do more of. It's entirely possible to just put stuff in trash bags and tie these to the bike with lots of string or something, if you only need to do it twice every trip, for example.

yup. size is way more important than weight for moto camping imo

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

right arm posted:

yup. size is way more important than weight for moto camping imo

Yeah, smaller stuff really helps. Hence my mention of cheap backpacking gear from Amazon. The made in China junk may not last a long time, but it's fine for deciding if you like bike camping.

Sometimes you even get lucky on the quality. Heck, i'm still using the Chinesium alcohol stove that i bought 8 years ago when I was planning my first trip.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Generally, I think motocamping puts pretty low demands on the camping gear itself. Being highly mobile means you have all sorts of options that wouldn't always be available on a mountain trek or the like. With a minimum of planning it's never going to be necessary to pitch camp in high winds above the treeline for example, so if your tent isn't up to those conditions it does not really matter. Granted I ride 95% asphalt, the dirt people might be in different situations than I've found myself when motocamping, but the conveniences of modern society is usually just a manageable stint in the saddle away where I've been riding. If any part of my gear should fail beyond repair the worst I would suffer is probably a single uncomfortable night is what i'm saying I guess.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
A tip for longer haul Moto-Camping is to have the budget for a hotel/ camping hut night. It sucks major rear end if it’s been pissing down rain all day and all you have planned for is tent/hammock camping. There is really no way to get dry without a fire and then all your gear smells like a bonfire. It’s a much better route to just reroute a bit to find a cheap room somewhere you can try to dry out a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah. Like I had to swallow this summer, your enjoyment and safety on the bike depend on your fatigue being kept in check. If you know you're gonna wake up chilled, tired, achy, and pissed off about it, think about finding somewhere to get a decent night's rest.