Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
This is the thread to talk about games that are played outdoors.
Backyard games, trail games, travel games, camping games, and roadtrip games are all welcome ITT. (Drinking games can also count, but only good ones.) Please tell me about the ultralight waterproof ripstop -40F nylon dice you brought on your trip along the Appalachian Trail.

Card Games

Poker, Go Fish, Mafia, and Spoons are all popular in my experience, mainly because they don't require a large flat surface to play on (looking at you, Sevens :argh:). What games have worked for you? Or are you the type to challenge passers-by on the PCT to a game of Magic?

Travel Games

Miniaturized and magnetized versions of other, more popular games. Chess and checkers, obviously, but I've also seen Ludo, Sorry, and Catan travel versions. Any particular traditional games that you've found were suited to the travel format?

How Good Is Your Underhand Throw Games

Bocce
Curling for Southerners

Image by michelle wuz here
Two teams take turns to bump opposing balls out of the way and get as close as possible to the marker ball (called the jack). Originally spread around the world by Italian migrants, it is now one of the most popular games in the Special Olympics. So tell me: what do you think makes a good bocce set? What material are your balls made of? Are there certain brands or manufacturers that are better than others?

Cornhole
Bocce for Midwesterners

Image by defythegray
Players toss beanbags at a goal, 1 point for landing on the board, 3 for getting it in the hole. When I was a kid, you'd just see cornhole at graduation parties and the like. But recently it has exploded in popularity, the game now has professional leagues and ESPN coverage. Every even slightly DIY-inclined Midwestern Millenial I know has built or is planning to build a cornhole set. Are you planning to build one? What sports mascot are you planning to paint on it?

Horshoes
Cornhole for Boomers

Image by vastateparksstaff
Every horseshoes court I've ever seen looked exactly like this. What happened to horseshoes? Is it still popular where you are?

Verbal/Visual Games

Everyone knows I Spy, the Alphabet Game, and Twenty Questions, but are there more? I've always wanted to try Baron Munchausen (a game where players compete to tell the most entertaining story based on prompts and interruptions by others) on a long trip. My family always kept a trivia game called "Brain Quest" in our van for road trips, what did yours do?

I joked about it, but I am genuinely interested in games people have brought backpacking. What did you bring? Was it fun? Was it worth it? What are you bringing next time?

Did I miss your favorite game? Possible the one with frisbees and trash-can-looking things? Talk about your favorite outdoor game, or maybe just the weirdest bounce you got in ladder golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'm not gonna lie, the first thing I thought this thread was going to be was video games that give an outdoor experience, like Firewatch or Breath of the Wild.

... Though with that said, Breath of the Wild still probably counts :v:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I never travel without a copy of this:

All the fun parts of monopoly and none of the bullshit, so each game takes about 15 minutes start to finish. Fits in your pocket and you can find it at pretty much any place with a toy aisle for five bucks. Everybody picks it up quickly because everybody already knows the basics of monopoly, and if I meet somebody new and we end up playing a round, I give them my copy and buy a new one when I get back.

Because that's how I got my first one.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
My favorite game to play while working is "Rock or Cow"

Here, let's play.

Are those rocks or cows?

That's right, those are cows, as you can clearly see.

What about these? Rocks or cows?

Hah those are rocks you dumb dick.

You can bring a pair of binoculars to verify your point total but I prefer to play in the true spirit of the game, and forever wonder what I was actually looking at, just another question without an answer in a universe I'll never truly know or understand.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm not gonna lie, the first thing I thought this thread was going to be was video games that give an outdoor experience, like Firewatch or Breath of the Wild.

... Though with that said, Breath of the Wild still probably counts :v:

I would be lying if i said I have not played Breath of the Wild while drinking a beer and sitting at a camp fire in the woods.

GSSubmarine
Sep 3, 2022
On the few times I've been "glamping" with some friends, we brought a small pouch of D&D dice. Outside next to a fire is some prime atmosphere for running an adventure

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My two favorite sub forums mashed together, TG and TGO! We always take a travel cribbage board with us, no matter where we go. It also works to keep score in any game where that might matter, with added bonus of holding a deck of cards.

I’ve brought Android Netrunner for my wife and I to play, but generally we just stick to regular playing cards when camping. Cornhole is fun, but it takes too much room for us to even consider.

I’ve also considered bringing some RPG stuff, like dice and character sheets, but I feel like that’s kinda antithetical to what we’re doing. We usually end up hiking or kayaking, so playing a three hour RPG isn’t usually on the table for a weekend.

My favorite new camping game I’ve seen is Bottle Bash. You stand two plastic bottles on separate poles and take turns trying to knock them off. As the defending team you need to both catch the frisbee and the bottle before either touches the ground. We set this up at a sandbar in about three feet of water and it was a hell of a good time.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Capture the flag, or that one where you try to sneak past the guy with the flashlight. Sentry? How do you get enough people together after you're too old for boyscouts though

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Capture the flag was great in highschool (I guess still boyscouts age). There was a bar that would serve us underage so Wednesday nights, we'd go out for 10 cent wings, get loaded and go back to the woods that were behind the houses on my street. A friend lived at the end, and there was a ditch with more woods on the other side. Ditch was the dividing line. We'd get a fire going smoke some weed, team up and play till like 10-1030 when most of us had to be home.

People would come and go as they had to new comers would join whatever team might be shorthanded etc..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

We used to do a “drunken run through the woods.”

It was what it said on the package.

One person would get a flashlight, and we’d all run, full speed, no flashlight, for about five minutes behind whoever was leading. At the end we’d try our best to make it back to the bonfire.

Man, those were great times.