Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Howdy! I'm new to camping and hiking, started doing it late last year and fell in love with it. I come from a family with zero background in outdoors stuff.

I'm currently in southern California, and I'd like to plan a trip to Big Sur. I've been doing some research and wanted to ask folks here if they had any advice for camping there or less specifically advise for how you plan a trip around a place you've never been to before.

Any feedback is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Already got your camping stuff?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

DeesGrandpa posted:

Already got your camping stuff?

I do! I've gone camping twice now and bought the gear I needed through some co-workers that camp all the time. I've decided I'm going to research this and put my findings and the result of the trip on this thread so hopefully someone can learn from my eventual mistakes.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

JackDarko posted:

I do! I've gone camping twice now and bought the gear I needed through some co-workers that camp all the time. I've decided I'm going to research this and put my findings and the result of the trip on this thread so hopefully someone can learn from my eventual mistakes.

Part of camping is just going for it and figuring out what went wrong afterwards. Hopefully not bad enough to dissuade you from camper ever again though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was just in Big Sur and the waterfall is closed for repairs. Just fyi

Also a couple years ago some friends and I "won" a lottery once and camped on top of the waterfall where there are two sites. It sounds wonderful. It sucked.

You have to walk over a mile to get there which is fine if you were planning on a hike to camp and not holding a cooler as I was. The waterfall mist that rises creates a very peculiar "moon dust" effect on the dirt. It billowed up like talcum powder every step I took. When I got home my legs were caked in dirt all the way up to my upper thighs despite wearing jeans. Highly unrecommend.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Thank you, folks! I appreciate the advice the encouragement goes a long way. I think I'm going to do some dispersed camping off of coast ridge road.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Surfer forums I read says it's real crowded up there lately. You might have to drive around for a bit to find a spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Lime kiln is a killer campground in the Big Sur area, I'd highly recommend trying for that space if possible (it's often booked up several months in advance). There's a great bar somewhere in the area called the Big Sur Taphouse(I think, I can't quite remember but taphouse was in the name). It's a great place to stop on the way in or out of the area