Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please

forums poster

hello friends. we went camping this weekend because we hadn't left chicago in like, a while now and camping is easy to do while keeping distance from other people

where'd we go? well let me tell you about RICHARD BONG STATE RECREATION AREA just west of Kenosha, Wisconsin, about an hour drive from chicago, and probably the most stolen highway sign in a 100 mile radius

RICHARD BONG STATE RECREATION AREA is built on a partially completed but then abandoned Air Force base and named after MAJOR RICHARD IRA BONG

here's our campsite

reward for setting up camp: an old style in a Hamm's koozie

that's some good oak savannah!

literally half the reason I wanted to get up here is to get into a body of water, basically any body of water

good first day! let's build a fire and make some sausages and veggies in foil packs

day 2: rise and grind, let's get this bread. but instead of bread let's take a little hike on one of the trails

pretty marshy

its a sled hill! and a stop on the self guided RICHARD BONG DISCOVERY QUEST

hey it's some kind of nightshade bush growing through a dead tree

it's a redwing blackbird (I swear, my phone camer just isn't that good)

post-bike beer: oberon. lookit that byob-rear end sun

found a robin's egg at our campsite

after biking to the lake again and coming back let's grill some hot dogs

and then immediately hide in the tent from the thunderstorm that rained out the rest of our night :rip:

ok day 3 let's assess the damage

not too bad just a little muddy. but we're gonna scrap plans for another hike because it's all gonna be slop city. let's just go to the beach again oh god what is that in the water

(it's me, the op, drinking a beer)

i didn't take pictures of our stop at the famous Mars Cheese Castle on the way back but you don't need pictures of that, everyone's been to Mars Cheese Castle. also I accidentally posted a bunch of these pictures on imgur publicly which means random people are just commenting on them? who does that

this has been your primer to RICHARD BONG STATE RECREATION AREA. if you're near the southeastern wisconsin area and interested in camping, hiking, fishing, ATVs, horse trails, model rocketry, or R/C aircraft, check it out! hint: the annual pass for the Wisconsin DNR is less than like 3 days worth of day passes and then you're good to go for the whole state

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

nice trip op, voted 5 :hai:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

This mfers name DICK BONG

Robot Made of Meat

I remember my family going past the Richard Bong State Recreation Area repeatedly when I was young, and even before the we'd implications, we thought the name "Bong" was funny. I never had any idea of its backstory, or that it was such a nice place. I mean, it's Kenosha after all.

Thanks for the trip report!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

awkwerd paws

weezy kiss baby on the lips in the rap city basement
i saw that recently cool you got to go there

a凸[◣_◢]凸 unban Anne fraje fanfic a凸[◣_◢]凸 Summer FYA D 2022 a凸[◣_◢]凸 good bird byw hot cocoa on the couch

408419132479 #MarioKartTour #MarioKartTourPlayerID pm to join mario kart discord

awkwerd paws

dont forget to try the fish, kenosha

a凸[◣_◢]凸 unban Anne fraje fanfic a凸[◣_◢]凸 Summer FYA D 2022 a凸[◣_◢]凸 good bird byw hot cocoa on the couch

408419132479 #MarioKartTour #MarioKartTourPlayerID pm to join mario kart discord

more falafel please

forums poster

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

This mfers name DICK BONG

awkwerd paws

lmao @

nut

i was probed last night and wanted to post here the whole time thank you for the amazing trip report op i sometimes close my eyes and trip report in my mind to the RICHARD BONG STATE RECREATION AREA

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
did not disappoint, thank you op. DICK BONG looks beautiful

The Mighty Moltres

Come! We must fly!

I'm glad you had fun at the
site.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Just a warning: simply googling DICK BONG will result in pictures that are not, in fact, MAJOR RICHARD IRA BONG, but something else entirely

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

more falafel please posted:

i didn't take pictures of our stop at the famous Mars Cheese Castle on the way back but you don't need pictures of that, everyone's been to Mars Cheese Castle. also I accidentally posted a bunch of these pictures on imgur publicly which means random people are just commenting on them? who does that

I was intrigued by the name so I had to look it up.

Checks out, it's a cheese castle!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

more falafel please

forums poster

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

I was intrigued by the name so I had to look it up.

Checks out, it's a cheese castle!

yeah for folks not from around here Wisconsin is exactly as stereotypically Wisconsin as it's made out to be, so there's literally cheese shops everywhere. they usually sell other stuff like sausages and jams and maybe fudge, probably some local wine, definitely some souvenir/tchotchke type stuff, and beer, especially New Glarus beer, which is only sold in Wisconsin and is officially Pretty Good, which means anyone from neighboring states (myself included) treats it as the holy grail of unknowable pleasures. Mars Cheese Castle is no different from any of these except they also have a restaurant and bar (not open right now) and since they're like 10 minutes from the illinois border, they're the first stop for lots of chicago and suburban folks making their way up to the cabin for the weekend or whatnot, so they do a lot of business

the best way to describe where RICHARD BONG STATE RECREATION AREA is to a chicagoan is "you know where mars cheese castle is? same exit, like 10 minutes west"

more falafel please

forums poster

it's out of the way, so we didn't go there this time, but my actual favorite wisconisn cheese shop is Ehlenbach's Cheese Chalet. i just discovered they have commercials including several starring David Bakhtiari, offensive tackle for the green bay packers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxVH0JA6DzY

Prof. Crocodile

this is a good recreation area and a great trip report and i especially liked the robin egg and oberon ale, which are both beautiful creatures

free hubcaps

excellent OP! i like the sled hill, thats very thoughtful of them

i think you should go here next

ty Saoshyant!

Prof. Crocodile

i have been here and it is cool and good

fun fact: named after major richard "dick" ira cheesequake

sb hermit

City of Glompton posted:

nice trip op, voted 5 :hai:

:same:

sb hermit

Op, does the cheese castle have cheese curds?

And does Wisconsin have good poutine?

more falafel please

forums poster

starbucks hermit posted:

the question is do they have anything other than cheese curds (the answer is yes)

i don't know anything about wisconsin poutine but they've got the curds!

Robot Made of Meat

starbucks hermit posted:

Wisconsin does not have poutine. "Good Poutine" has no meaning.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

sb hermit

the question is do they have anything other than cheese curds (the answer is yes)

i don't know anything about wisconsin poutine but they've got the curds!

thank you for the clarification.

I want to visit Wisconsin and eat at the state fair.

I also want poutine.

Well, in a future time, maybe I can find an occasion to do both.

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Wisconsin does not have poutine. "Good Poutine" has no meaning.

hmm, ok

Well, Wisconsin has lakes and cheese, and both are good reasons to visit!

sb hermit

I find it depressing that Wolf Lake is not known for wolves.

I had a junior high teacher named Mr. Wolf and from what I remember, he had a lot of facial hair and students really liked him despite the fact that he was old and stern.

So, here's to hoping that Wolf Lake is named for a werewolf that drowned in that lake and anyone that swims in the lake on a full moon is turned into a werewolf. That's be cool.

Ass-penny

yeah for folks not from around here Wisconsin is exactly as stereotypically Wisconsin as it's made out to be, so there's literally cheese shops everywhere. they usually sell other stuff like sausages and jams and maybe fudge, probably some local wine, definitely some souvenir/tchotchke type stuff, and beer, especially New Glarus beer, which is only sold in Wisconsin and is officially Pretty Good, which means anyone from neighboring states (myself included) treats it as the holy grail of unknowable pleasures. Mars Cheese Castle is no different from any of these except they also have a restaurant and bar (not open right now) and since they're like 10 minutes from the illinois border, they're the first stop for lots of chicago and suburban folks making their way up to the cabin for the weekend or whatnot, so they do a lot of business

the best way to describe where RICHARD BONG STATE RECREATION AREA is to a chicagoan is "you know where mars cheese castle is? same exit, like 10 minutes west"

Living on the other side of Wisconsin, and having family in Chicago, having driven through Wisconsin more than anywhere else except my native city, I'm very familiar with the Mars Cheese Castle and New Glarus beer. My favorite is Two Women. :lmao: at WI living up to its stereotypes, they do not disappoint. Additionally friends of mine have a literal dick shaped bong, it's a funny novelty piece. I only was over there once and did not get offered to smoke it.
Good trip report. I have never been, and camp fairly irregularly, but perhaps I can steer my next camping excursion that way, Richard Ira Bong recreational area might be good for me.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

alnilam

DICK BONG

ty manifisto

more falafel please

forums poster

alnilam posted:

DICK BONG

KNUC TATS

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

alnilam posted:

DICK BONG

more falafel please

forums poster

can't wait till it's warm enough to go back to RICHARD "DICK" BONG STATE RECREATION AREA

Prof. Crocodile

can't wait till it's warm enough to go back to RICHARD "DICK" BONG STATE RECREATION AREA

:patriot:

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Prof. Crocodile

sb hermit

Escape From Noise

Going to the great outdoors to suck on dicks, bongs, dick bongs, and bong dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Wisconsin has cheese curd fries, which is like poutine but instead of gravy, there's more cheese.

People say fancy places in Madison have poutine now that it's trendy, but I've never seen it in person.