Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

the baltimore crabs will live forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
I wrote mostly all the code stuff for the Mills, including their Voting Calculator page and this dumb thing but also worked with someone on a bot on the Mills' discord that eventually had more accurate game odds than the site itself.
I spent so much time with this game on the first era, but after that last giant hiatus there was no way they would have any momentum going into whatever was supposed to be next. That last false start followed by all the patch notes of the stuff they didn't do for the two years before pretty much spelled it out.
RIV, lets go mills baby love da mills

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Yeah. I remember the first season fondly, when everything was wild and uncharted and organic. Good times. Best of luck to all the devs, hope they find good work making cool stuff.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Blaseball Cares is doing one last store opening for the month of June, when we get kicked out of the stadium merch space for good. Please come buy some funny hats and booty shorts to remember Blaseball by, or give Richmond Harrison, your new best friend, a loving home. Everything must go! Or we'll have to, y'know, set it on fire, as is customary.

(Out of kayfabe, the business isn't sustainable long term and we all want to move on, but it's always been by fans, for fans.)

There may be a dramatic final charity stream as well. We're trying to figure out what we can sagely incinerate at the end of the end times. RIV.

blaseballcares.com

Fake edit: Oh that's a nice, Blaseball-y typo. I'm leaving that one.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
This won't be as long as the previous siesta (instead it will be forever)

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Seriously though, freezing blaseball for a year and a half to return with a worse web version than they had before was probably not ideal.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The sheer number of people that they've laid off as part of cancelling Blaseball is kind of wild to me. I can't help but wonder what was their monetization strategy going to be, if they were going to be able to keep that many people on staff after a successful relaunch.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

blastron posted:

The sheer number of people that they've laid off as part of cancelling Blaseball is kind of wild to me. I can't help but wonder what was their monetization strategy going to be, if they were going to be able to keep that many people on staff after a successful relaunch.

yeah a part of me is looking forward to a few years from now when people are resettled and NDAs are up so we can learn what was going on during both breaks - with what's happened since I feel like the reboot into beta quality must have been a sign of something not going as planned and them trying to like demonstrate interest to a new investor or something as plan B. it might just be as simple as "they couldn't get app approval for some strange reason and the chain of dominoes knocked everything down from there", but I'm still wondering if there was some merchandising attempt that went south.

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020
Has there been anything similar to Blaseball made recently? I'm really getting that itch. Don't even care if it's single player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Misty Fog posted:

Has there been anything similar to Blaseball made recently? I'm really getting that itch. Don't even care if it's single player.

There's Terrorball, a blaseball-like that is in early development by former blaseball splortscaster JoeyTBadger.

https://terrorball.io/

https://bsky.app/profile/terrorball.bsky.social

https://bsky.app/profile/badger.cool