Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Platforms: PC, Xbox One, PS4. Expected to release on Switch later this summer.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHgFpd5o_3c

In short, Othercide is a roguelike XCOM-like. To put it in a less buzzwordy way, it's a turn-based tactics game where you play through a series of partly randomized battles while you improve and grow your forces between battles. If you end up getting a game over (which can happen quite easily, e.g. by losing a boss battle), you can start over with a variety of bonuses you unlocked during your earlier attempts.

Your forces are made up of Daughters, which come in the three classes Soulslinger (ranged support), Shieldbearer (defense and status effects), and Blademaster (raw damage). As they survive battles, they unlock new class-specific abilities for you to choose from. Certain circumstances and events during battle can also give them Traits, such as gaining a damage bonus against a particular kind of enemy after killing a lot of them. Finally, you can augment each Daughter's ability with memories that are dropped during battles, which can grant bonuses such as extra damage or armour penetration.

The battles themselves play a fair bit like XCOM. Daughters and enemies take their turns one by one, and your goal is generally to kill all enemies on the map. The main unique mechanic here is the Timeline. Instead of all combatants acting in a set sequence, they're placed on a sliding timeline. Certain skills are delayed and will only take effect some time after the unit's turn, potentially allowing the target to move out of the way if their place on the timeline is ahead of the attack. Other effects allow you to directly move people back and forth on the timeline. Lastly, certain skills can execute out of order as reactions if a certain condition is met. All this allows for some fairly intricate combos and sneaky ways to avoid enemy attacks.

The game places a heavy focus on attrition and making calculated trade-offs. If Daughters take damage in combat, they don't simply heal it over time between battles. Instead, the only way to heal them is to outright sacrifice another Daughter of at least the same level. Add to this that the most powerful abilities tend to cost Health to use, and sooner or later you will take losses. You'll need to strike a careful balance between levelling your most powerful Daughters but also growing a solid backbench to eventually heal or replace them.

Another nice thing is that RNG plays only a fairly minor role. With few exceptions, your attacks will always hit and cause a reliable amount of damage. Enemies will always act according to set behaviours specific to their type, which you can look up in the game's codex. For example, the standard melee enemy will always attack the Daughter closest to them, and if two are equally close they'll prioritise the one with less health. This lets you plan out turns quite a ways in advance and allows you to feel proper smug when things turn out just as you planned. Or like a complete idiot when you forget about delays and have your most powerful attack slam right into the middle of nowhere.

So far I'm only a short ways in but it's good fun, and of course it looks mad stylish. The game certainly is not afraid of throwing you right into harsh situations that can quickly lead to a game over, and it's not for nothing that there's a big "Abandon current run and start over" button prominently right in the middle of the game menu. But on the other hand starting a new run is quick and easy, and so far the game is also happy to throw a lot of unlockable bonuses at you that can help quite a bit if you're struggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
I like Othercide so far, though it looks like it might just be you and me here.

It took me three tries to beat the boss of the first act. I think the hardest part for me is understanding how to use the abilities that use a Daughter's health for resource. I think those abilities are less about killing Others and more about controlling how damage is distributed on your team.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gotta wait for the Switch release but I'm pretty excited for it.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I played this at launch and it has some truly broken combos. Looking at you two gun daughters with the "speed up an allies turn" ability. Get the basic skill which is +20 turn speed for 30 tu, add the memory that gives +10 to it and you have two units that can give their bar to have another unit go right away... Then you get the two unit upgrades that bump them to 120 tu and they can give each other turns and attack. The enemy never gets a turn.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Is anyone playing this? It's on sale today on Steam and I apparently wishlisted it

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
This is a game I wish wasn't a lose cycle progression

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Capntastic posted:

Is anyone playing this? It's on sale today on Steam and I apparently wishlisted it

Buy it; it's really fun. You just need to come to grips with the lack of healing, permadeath, extremely limited respawns, and roguelite bits.

Pros:

- classes all play really differently and are all useful; characters are "expendable" in the Darkest Dungeon sense
- game is not too easy
- figuring out the game mechanics is actually rewarding
- maps don't take 2 hours to play and yet require some finesse
- music is very good and adds to the atmosphere
- initiative and timeline based turns are something that I wish a lot more games would do
- combat is satisfying and the enemies get MUCH more deadly as the game progresses
- good value for price proposition

Cons:

- limited map and mission variety
- some of the voice work is either annoyingly repetitive or lines talk over one another. Small studio problem, I guess; but game runs and plays well so who really cares that much.
- bosses can be cheesed (sucks because until you figure out the cheese, you will die and then it's game over. . . it's not really a skill check; more of a cheese check)

Meh:

- Art style is as if someone just got done playing Dishonored void levels, Hatred, and added in voiceless waifus to make a game. It's OK I guess, but it's honestly hard to make out some UI things regarding movement, timeline, and other cues.
- some missions are just bad and you will avoid them on purpose once you figure out which ones they are. This is only a few missions and not every mission can be a hit, so no big deal.

I recommend giving it a shot.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Picked this game up during the recent steam sale. So far I quite like it, though there's a lot to take in. I appreciate how much thought you need to put into each move; loving up has consequences. But it seems like you have access to a lot of information during a fight, I really like clear descriptions of the enemies' behaviors.

There are definitely some QOL improvements I'd like to see; a minimap would be nice. And is there a way to tell which sister is being targeted by an enemy, say a scavenger?

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

I finally got around to playing this, and it's definitely the tactics game with the most

A) good design and well crafted combat
and
B) deal-breakingly punishing metamechanics

that I've played in a long time. I'm really enjoying it so far, but there are just a few things I'm still trying to understand.

Is there any way to tell what range enemies have on their move+attacks? Some of them seem pretty obvious (scavengers seem to attack if they can get adjacent to you, no matter how far they moved), but for most it feels entirely arbitrary whether they attack me or not at the end of a move. By far the majority of the damage I take in this game is misreading danger ranges, which is extremely frustrating in a game entirely built around avoiding death spirals

Also, has anyone found any fun strategies just in general? Should I be sacrificing my characters into each other at low level when I have extra vitae just for the stat boosts merging gives? I feel like there's a lot of weird bullshit in this game to discover, strategically

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Really love this game, especially on switch. It's my go-to xcom like game for the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is there a reason not to use manual aiming? Unless I’m missing something, the game doesn’t seem to provide you with any info about hit chances or effects otherwise.