Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Buckwheat Sings posted:

For some reason I really like the Vampire. Getting the right upgrades with his bloodsuck lets you quickly kill the werewolf without him going apeshit on you.

Still haven't gotten past uptown as the difficulty really ramps into high gear. Combat with anyone just turns into chaos immediately. I probably need to readjust how I play once I get to that point as I'm fairly aggressive.

Also gently caress the terminator event. That robot is such a piece of poo poo and is really hard to deal with especially if he pops up early on.

I tend to use pacific methods once I reach Uptown. At that point I'm rich enough to pay for objects asking NPCs, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
There has been some chatter in the roguelikes thread recently about SoR so I figured I'd come give this thread a bump and say if anyone has any questions I'm happy to help. I've got about 400 hours in the game. I'm by no means an expert but I can consistently win.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Been playing it since the early beta. Really fun game. It's super-arcadey and customizable, and so I keep playing a custom setup for like 20 mins a day. I wish it had like x2 the general variety in missions and map types, but playing with all the chunk packs makes up for that. Plus there's going to be a 2, so I'd love to see how this iterates. It has a game design philosophy I enjoy more than anything in a long time.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I picked this up on the Switch and recently had my first clear as the Comedian. Completing his big quest made the final level rather anticlimactic since I could just charm everyone without any risk of making them hostile. Are there several different endings? I killed the mayor and took his hat, then made the speech.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What are good complimentary classes for two-player? Or at least classes that don't step on each others goals / strengths?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe Doctor and Bartender?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

seeking out complimentary classes almost feels against the spirit of playing this multiplayer

vampire + hacker was a decently fun time idk maybe try that

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Comedian and Cop. If people get angry at your lovely jokes and start to get violent just arrest them!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

seeking out complimentary classes almost feels against the spirit of playing this multiplayer

well we can get impatient with each other playing two-player games and this one is not an exception

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Firefighter starts with a flamethrower that can then cook every dead enemy with a short burst for the Cannibal to eat for double health, freeing up lots of health items.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Bumper Stickup posted:

Comedian and Cop. If people get angry at your lovely jokes and start to get violent just arrest them!

the ol Inverted Lenny Bruce

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I still haven't got a character past Industrial 3, personally. Just run out of gas trying to do the quests when there's so much more crap to deal with than the Slums :(

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I still haven't got a character past Industrial 3, personally. Just run out of gas trying to do the quests when there's so much more crap to deal with than the Slums :(

My first win was assassin. Straightforward ability/quest. I tended toward the perks like ignore lasers/floor traps, people don't get angry when you break/steal things. etc. Zombie is also ridiculously easy if you don't mind playing slow and killing literally everyone. :black101:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Star posted:

I picked this up on the Switch and recently had my first clear as the Comedian. Completing his big quest made the final level rather anticlimactic since I could just charm everyone without any risk of making them hostile. Are there several different endings? I killed the mayor and took his hat, then made the speech.

If you want a fun time, use the Super Comedian ability by spamming it constantly, so you get everyone following you in a gigantic crowd. Try to build as big a one as possible until someone angers someone and it turns into a massive street brawl.

There's basically only two endings. The variety is in how you choose to get the ending. I like trying to get legitimate vote-earned runs where I keep paying people in towns and handing out food to get a big positive rep.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Hacker and Doctor were a fun pairing, because the doctor could refill all the hacker's guns for free.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Can you unlock the super special powers on a short run? The mutator warns you some stuff won't unlock, but the big missions still appear to be active.

I've only unlocked them for 4 or 5 characters, but it's always been on the full 15 level runs.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Short games count. Unless it says it won't count, like sandbox mode, you can use it to unlock things. The game is great like that.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Black August posted:

Short games count. Unless it says it won't count, like sandbox mode, you can use it to unlock things. The game is great like that.

That is great news! The full 15 levels ends up taking just a bit too long for my one time slot with my brother; today we got up to 4-3 but then we had to stop, so didn't complete the big quest even though we'd been working at all the way through.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The dev is trucking along in the development of SoR2. Not this year I think, but maybe 2023?

quote:

Sequel News

2021 was actually the most difficult year for me in terms of sheer brain-busting programming challenges since I began development way back in 2013. My goals for the year were simple: get the hard, technical stuff out of the way, and create a solid base for my future work on the game. 2022 is all about implementing actual structure and content into the game, which should hopefully be a lot more fun and a lot less stressful. I'm super excited about my upcoming work, and I can't wait to see this thing start to come together as a cohesive whole.

Got suggestions for what you want to see in the sequel or questions for me? Post them in the comments below, and I'll try to answer what I can!

(From here on out, I'll be referring to the sequel as "SOR2", but just to be clear, it doesn't have an official name as of yet.)

Here's just some of what I've been working on:

* Fully streaming open world

- The original Streets of Rogue was level-based. Upon entering a new level, the game would procedurally generate everything over the course of a loading screen. This is how a typical rogue-lite works.

Streets of Rogue 2 takes an approach similar to other procedurally generated open-world games, such as Minecraft. As the player moves along the landscape, the procedural generation system works its magic to determine what the world should look like, new chunks of data are streamed in, and old data is removed.

There’s nothing particularly new or innovative about how I’ve approached all of this. However, the major challenge comes in the form of integrating my existing systems into this new structure. AI, combat, items, world interactions, etc., there are very few aspects of the game that didn’t need heavy modification to function properly.

* World generation system

- At the start of a new game, SOR2 generates a large procedural world that is (for the moment at least) approximately 3,000 times the size of a SOR1 level. This world includes a full countryside to explore, complete with numerous cities and towns, and an interconnected road system.

* “Dungeons”

- When I say “dungeon”, I’m referring to any area that the player enters which isn’t a part of the main open world. This could end up being anything from a small cave to a multi-story underground city.

* New Save/Load system

- The original SOR allowed for saving at the beginning of levels. Nothing too fancy. However, saving the state of a large open world is… something more of a challenge. Bear in mind that SOR2 is a persistent sort of open world, more akin to Skyrim than GTA5. For example: if you blow up a wall, it stays blow’d up. If you punch a shopkeeper, he’s going to stay angry, even if you walk halfway across the world and return to his shop.

* New map systems

- SOR2 actually includes a couple of different types of maps. First off, there’s the “close-up” maps, which are similar to the maps in SOR1, but are now capable of following the player as they move around the open world. And second, there’s a much more zoomed-out world map, which shows a somewhat abstract version of the entire game world.

* Day/night cycle

- The game world changes in significant ways based on the time of day…

* NPC Schedules

- NPCs are now capable of pursuing different goals based on the time of day. For example, a Shopkeeper might leave their home at 8:00 in the morning, drive their car to a store that they own, work until 10:00 at night, and then return home.

* Vehicles

- There were two major challenges to solve when implementing vehicles: A. coming up with a solid driving model that’s both fun and not completely awkward due to the top-down nature of the game, and B. NPC artificial intelligence. I’m happy to say that both A and B are in great shape right now.

* Animals

- Yes, the game will have animals this time around. No, I’m not going to say which ones. Will they be playable?... We’ll see!

* Ability to build walls and floors

- SOR2 will allow players to create their own structures within the game world. While I don’t want to give away any specifics about the purpose of these structures just yet, I will say that they may have uses beyond what is typically seen in open-world sandbox games.

* Diagonal walls

- In the original SOR, you may have noticed that walls exclusively face 90-degree angles. Last February, I spent three torturous weeks re-jiggering my systems to allow for 45-degree angles as well.

* Level editor updates

- The level editor has been updated to accommodate new features of SOR2, such as the ability to construct large regions of the world.

* “Abstracted” AI system

- NPCs are capable of continuing to pursue their high-level goals regardless of their distance from the player, and with little performance cost. Just because you’re on the opposite end of the world, doesn’t mean NPCs can get out of doing their jobs!

* Full couch co-op support

- Returning from the first game, SOR2 still supports up to four players in split-screen mode. Players can act completely independently from one another, visiting different locations on the map at the same time, or even entering different dungeons.

* Full online multiplayer support

- Much like the first game, SOR2 will allow for players to jump into and out of a game at any time. Loads of time has been spent adapting online multiplayer to the game’s new open world structure.

* Early quest integration

- All of the quest types from the original game are fully functional in SOR2, with a number of new ones planned. I’m also intending to add some actual narrative to the quest system this time around…

* A new look

- While SOR2 retains the top-down perspective of the first game, the graphics are in the process of being overhauled to look super-stunning.

* Performance and memory optimization

- I spent close to two months optimizing the crap out of this game. Why so much time at such an early juncture? Imagine this scenario: four players in split-screen coop are driving their cars at high speeds in four completely separate locations on the map, in areas dense with buildings and objects. And they’re playing on a Nintendo Switch. For my own peace of mind, I needed to ensure that it was actually feasible to do this while maintaining a decent-ish frame rate and streaming in new data quickly enough.

* Bug testing

- A LOT of time has been spent working out the kinks in the features that I’ve listed above. My hope is that I won’t be constantly getting stopped in my tracks with showstopping bugs during my efforts to add “the fun” to the game this year.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
It all sounds very cool.

I hope the improved AI and interactions are a high priority, since that was the area that I thought the original game could improve upon.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

You can buy the game for the ridicoluous price of 4€ right now.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/512900/Streets_of_Rogue/
Or spend $20 in a Overwatch 2 skin, pick your poison...

Also, first Streets of Rogue 2 screens

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2165810/Streets_of_Rogue_2/

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Looks sick as hell

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if you can't play as that pig i will be severely disappointed

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Getting real Streets of Stardew vibes there.
You have the shack in the woods, the small farm plot, and the Jojamart. I doubt this is intended, but it could be an interesting ‘home base’ between missions, like cult of the lamb, but with less poop and a more chaotic mission section.

That said, the simple answer is just showing off new level themes.

Besides, I don’t see any chicken nuggets growing on the vine.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Jazerus posted:

if you can't play as that pig i will be severely disappointed

p sure cop is gonna be in, yeah

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

tokenbrownguy posted:

p sure cop is gonna be in, yeah

:perfect:

SoR2 looks amazing! I've absolutely played one to death and can't wait to throw more money at MadGuy

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r57eVyONrJo

Trailer for SoR2!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
jesus

release can't come soon enough

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

awww hell yeah

Google Jeb Bush posted:

jesus

:emptyquote:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Holy loving poo poo this looks chaotic, and I mean that in the best possible way. Drive-by shootings and robbing banks by ramming trucks through the vault :supaburn:

In short:

Google Jeb Bush posted:

jesus

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
drat, pushed back to 2024 but I've gotten back into playing SOR1 so I can wait.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
There's a couple of different trailers here:

https://twitter.com/streetsofrogue/status/1694411713024516104?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIj5L1F9YP4

So keen for this!

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 24, 2023

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
Holy hell I'm excited. I may well actually pre-order this. I have faith it'll actually come out, and had hundreds of great hours with the first game.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah, this is one of the few games in my life I'm going to preorder.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another SoR2 video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGahQVeBoTY

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And another one, this one really serves to show off the game concept to new players
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AJBiX-N3Sg

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Looks like the original but better, what else could one want from a sequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I had fun with the first one, despite the floaty controls.

Do we have a launch date?