Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

"Surrealism"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think it fits in the de Chirico sense of surrealism

large, open architecture with weird lighting

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think it's hitting on the same ground as the Uncanny Valley: things are recognizably "real," but have enough subtly detectable differences that they start to feel off. It's that kind of dreamlike imagery of you seeing a normal road that's twice the size it should actually be for gameplay purposes and your brain being unable to reconcile that with the familiar image in your head.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Bizarrely I think the Tony Hawks Pro Skater games might fit the aesthetic, in terms of quite empty weirdly lit areas that seem too big for humans.

But that might just be uncanny valley and not the Jurrealism thing.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Negostrike posted:

"Surrealism"?

It’s a widely used industry term. Everybody’s saying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fatty posted:

Bizarrely I think the Tony Hawks Pro Skater games might fit the aesthetic, in terms of quite empty weirdly lit areas that seem too big for humans.

But that might just be uncanny valley and not the Jurrealism thing.

I see it. It faded a bit towards 4/THUG when they started to strive more for realism, but those early games have it in spades.

1'a Mall is a strong example; I think malls are usually good fodder for the effect.