Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've been looking at your heater and I've been wondering, did it have a grate when it was used as a wood fired heater?

I am wondering because a lot of these old heaters where built without grates and just had a solid floor that the fire was built on. You should be able to check this, the only opening to the compartment that sits under the firebox should be the front of the heater to let air in through the grate. If there are openings on the side and the back, then you got a solid base heater and you don't need a grate, you need fire bricks and mortar.

Here are some scematics that might give you some insight to how the heater is built, first one is a solid base, 2nd with a grate.

Check out cross section A in both blue prints to see the difference. This works even if the heater has the chimney exit on top or at it's base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Oh it used to be a solid bottom, my dad is making a grate though. So what we're doing is, we're sealing up the opening again, then making a slightly raised grate so that the ashes can fall through that for easier cleaning.
Unfortunately the grate needs to be cut down to size a bit first, was a tiny bit too big.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ah I was gonna suggest something like that, an andiron or a fire basket.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

My dad got himself involved in the project, so he's doing... Something I guess, had some weird mechanism he wanted to build to make emptying the ash easier so I'm waiting on him.

My basement is now down to 62% humidity though! :toot:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

So while I'm waiting for my dad to do his thing, hoping he eventually does it I figured gently caress it, do some other poo poo:

Built a headboard and added some side skirts to my bed so the mattress is now firmly in place.

I was gifted a grow your own chilies thing so I built an enclosure out of some 2x2cm wood and mink wire so the cats won't get at it. Nothing growing yet though.

And now on to finding out about a process what will suck:

My current dishwashing station: No hot water, right next to the hot stove in the winter (the wood fired one, not the small electric one), I want to move it elsewhere at some point.

Maybe against this window facing west. Right now I got some wood in here drying as I've been promised a wood delivery for loving months and I'm running out of dry stuff, but my brother had some trees felled last year so I got some of that speed drying now in here.

So in order to get the kitchen as ready as possible for next steps I want to tear down the wall between the bedroom and the kitchen. In the end I want to make the entire north end of the house into a combined kitchen/living room. Before I tear the wall down down I will have someone come in here and see if its load bearing, if it is I'll probably make a pillar or two, maybe make a kitchen island with sink between the pillars but jesus loving christ this is a pain in the rear end.

Sawdust isolation material in an interior wall, and these planks are a god drat motherfucker to remove!

I should not have cut open the paper holding the sawdust in place ;_;

Come spring/summer I'm hoping I'll have all the walls opened so I can replace the sawdust with something else in the exterior walls. I might also see if I can get a kitchen designer help me make plans for first a temporary kitchen and then later a permanent one so I could know now how to install my electricals and plumbing. I'll need a plumbers help to make a new hole for the sink to the basement anyway and some other fun things (my main water shutoff no longer shuts water off :D )

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

That stove is pretty baller (the electric one)

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I was supposed to have way more done by now but the truth is I haven't done anything. The heat or something else had me feeling just awful, but I've recovered a bit now. I spent all the energy I had getting a shipment of firewood sorted away though.

Hopefully I'll feel good enough to start some work soon, but I'm also taking on a side gig teaching at the local free education center so I need to prepare for that.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Heater update please, that thing looks awesome! Definitely on my dream house list

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

CancerCakes posted:

Heater update please, that thing looks awesome! Definitely on my dream house list

My dad was gonna make some sort of mechanism I'm not quite understanding, like some way to fold the grille up so you can easier get at the ashes. This has not progressed at all as far as I know though!
I need to tell him to either get at it or I'll just have a pro come and take a look because I really need better heating in here.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Ok a trip to the emergency dentist has revealed the cause for my tardiness this summer, my tooth is pretty massively infected so I've had like a low fever for months.
Until I get a root canal and can get the infection down I'm not likely to be able to make any progress here, by which time it might be too cold to start tearing down insulation but we'll see. One step at a time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

organburner posted:

Ok a trip to the emergency dentist has revealed the cause for my tardiness this summer, my tooth is pretty massively infected so I've had like a low fever for months.
Until I get a root canal and can get the infection down I'm not likely to be able to make any progress here, by which time it might be too cold to start tearing down insulation but we'll see. One step at a time.

Take care of yourself. You deserve it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I hope getting that taken care of goes well! Tooth infections are horrendous stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Has your house been thoroughly ruined yet