Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, it was pretty clear that an Ascian had to be involved *somewhere* in the Allagan civilization and as far as who it could have been that left Xande (pre-clone), Amon, or someone new/just being Ascians influencing things as Ascians. I did appreciate that Amon didn't get recruited until well into the Allagan excess era to just help push over what already existed; with these kinds of "evil plan behind the scenes" stories it can be an easy trap to just make all of Man's evils their fault. Granted we don't know that Emet *wasn't* Xande or someone else at the founding of the dang thing, we know he set up Garlemald and it's easy to assume that was his MO every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bruceski posted:

Granted we don't know that Emet *wasn't* Xande or someone else at the founding of the dang thing, we know he set up Garlemald and it's easy to assume that was his MO every time.

We more or less can rule out Xande. Xande's soul was captured at his death, and used to reincarnate him. If Emet-Selch was just piloting a corpse, that wouldn't make sense, and if Xande was just possesed for his entire life, and then his soul got captured, and then he got reincarnated like nothing happened, that also doesn't make sense.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

We more or less can rule out Xande. Xande's soul was captured at his death, and used to reincarnate him. If Emet-Selch was just piloting a corpse, that wouldn't make sense, and if Xande was just possesed for his entire life, and then his soul got captured, and then he got reincarnated like nothing happened, that also doesn't make sense.

Oh right, yeah.

Anyway, "it was Ascians" was pretty clear, but how or whether it would ever actually come up was a question mark.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Hell, it could have been practically ANY Ascian who helped plant the seeds that grew into the Allagan Empire.

Lahabrea was a man of science, and the Allagan Empire existed long enough ago that he may not have been whacked out on body-hopping and prolonged exposure to the Heart of Sabik yet.
Plus, the Heart of Sabik was used in the construction of the Ultima Weapon, an ancient relic that even the vaunted scholars of ancient Allag failed to crack.

It would have been in his interests to have a culture of super-science established to try to continue researching the thing, even if their best didn't measure up to the Unsundered World, it still would have accomplished a lot more than if he had tried to study it entirely on his own.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think Emet-Selch did take credit for Alag, and he did know how to operate the Crystal Tower without help.

It was definitely his project at some point, but as who and what capacity is the question.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Doesn't the Emet we see in Amon's recruitment flashback look more or less like Hades? I assumed he and any other Ascians actively influencing Allag were just doing it under no-name identities, or influential figures of the time who weren't preserved in the historical record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Antivehicular posted:

Doesn't the Emet we see in Amon's recruitment flashback look more or less like Hades?

If you mean 'white', yes, we only really see his lower face.