Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Soul plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
e: changed my mind

Watch Zardoz instead

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 22, 2020

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Oldstench posted:

The Holy Mountain

This is a good answer.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm bored so I'm going to hijack this thread for a movie recommendation. Something on Australian netflix. I will give a review in the form a limerick.

I approve of this. Folks feel to ask for movie recommends and share reviews here!

Also, I'm not sure how Aus Netflix is different from USA Netflix, so not sure what to offer.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Sid Vicious posted:

My favorite musician in the world scored this movie and I've yet to watch it but I love his score

quote:

Mark Oliver Everett is the son of physicist Hugh Everett III, originator of the many-worlds interpretation of quantum theory. Everett's maternal grandfather was Harold "Kid" Gore, a legendary men's basketball, football and baseball coach at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst.[1] When Everett was in his early teens, there was an incident that occurred while he was attending a concert by English rock band The Who, where a laser directly hit Everett's eye. As a result of this incident, he has needed to wear glasses ever since.

woah.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Internetjack posted:

I approve of this. Folks feel to ask for movie recommends and share reviews here!

Also, I'm not sure how Aus Netflix is different from USA Netflix, so not sure what to offer.

There are some differences, but we've also got Stan. which is a Netflix like service and offers a lot of foreign and independent films.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

K, we are back with film reviews! Tonight you get two!

I picked The Ninth Configuration as a recommendation simply on the the screenshot of an astronaut on the moon checking out crucified Jesus Christ. I mean seriously....

This is a pretty decent film from 1980. The premise is Vietnam soldiers that have lost their minds, or have they? Lock them in a loony bin and evaluate them. Let's see if they are faking it to get out of service or not. Set in a castle in the pacific north west. there are actually quite a few castles in the pacific north west, I doubt the one in the movie is in the same hemisphere though

Lead role is by Stacy Keach. He delivers a pretty dang good performance, like nails it. The humanitarian military psychologist brought in to help run the show and evaluate the vets there. Ultimately it is a "lunatics in charge of the asylum film" and has you guessing who the crazies really are. The hyper militant base commander? The doctor whose pants are always being stolen? Or, the actual inmates themselves?

It's not a bad run, a bit slow paced, especially in the second act, but gets its legs back in the third with a big reveal and a crazed biker gang leader with a lot of eye liner. It is not a bad watch and I'd recommend it as a decent psych piece.

Second!
Addams Family Values

k, I just found this in an old pile of dvds and I watched it out of order, it is the second of two. Watching the sequel before the first movie. Oops. It is a good time though. The cast is really impressive. Raul freaking Julia as Gomez Addams. The writing is great and he nails every scene. But nothing like Angelica Huston as Morticia Addams. Great lines, great lighting, great costuming and makeup, and great delivery, over and over. And of course it features Christina Ricci in an early role, and though it is a bit campy and fun family movie, she delivers as well. And there is also Christopher Lloyd playing over the top, but probably as directed. Lots of decent jokes and chuckles with the dark humor the Addams Family comes with. If you want a fun and good laugh, especially for Halloween or such, I'd place this on your list.

Will re-read the thread for recommends and scrounge through the DVD bags and add on in the near future. Others, feel free to do the same.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I had the first reply. How could you betray me like this.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Pi

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Arrhythmia posted:

I had the first reply. How could you betray me like this.

My duder, you did not follow the rules of the OP. BUT, your recommendation for It's Such a Beautiful Day looks excellent. I'm not finding it on Netflix discs, or Amazon Prime. I will try the library as they are soon opening again with mask rules and such. And the library here is nuts; they'll order in and stock stuff if they can find it in a couple thousand miles. That's about what I got where I live. I appreciate a good recommend, no doubt.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Weekend at Bernies.
or
Weekend at Bernies II.

Seriously, they are both fun stupid romps. And I won't spoil the twist for you in the 2nd film.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Internetjack posted:

My duder, you did not follow the rules of the OP. BUT, your recommendation for It's Such a Beautiful Day looks excellent. I'm not finding it on Netflix discs, or Amazon Prime. I will try the library as they are soon opening again with mask rules and such. And the library here is nuts; they'll order in and stock stuff if they can find it in a couple thousand miles. That's about what I got where I live. I appreciate a good recommend, no doubt.

I think you can get it streaming from Vimeo, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

As OP has admitted that he, as a luddite idiot, has no streaming services and must rely on his inferior DVD collection to service his entertainment needs, it would seem that we must guess the contents of his DVD collection to make recommendations. Given OP’s original offerings, I assume that he has both Batman (1989) and the Dark Knight in his collection and recommend that he watch both and compare their narratives