Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
I am a United States citizen and my in-laws are from Beijing.

They currently have health insurance in China. However, to utilize this during an emergency, I'd have to fly over there and sign for approval for them to be treated. If I do not (including if the flight takes too long), they could die.

Even if I can both convince them to move to the US and get them approved to stay, I'm not aware of any way to get them any form of health insurance by the time the paperwork would be finished due to the age they'd be. Even if they did, there's no guarantee they'd be kept on private insurance plans as they aged, nor a way to get them something like medicare.

I have a family (including a one-year-old) and we reside in the United States. I'm from here, my parents are from here, their parents are form here, etc. I don't want to leave if at all possible. But I'm also responsible for making sure my in-laws don't die.

I am eligible for Romanian, Austrian, and Israeli citizenship should I chose to activate them (with the ability to keep all citizenships simultaneously without giving any up, should I chose).

This isn't an immediate need but is a huge deal that needs to be solved somehow. They currently healthy and do not have any pre-existing conditions.

How do I get health insurance for my in-laws?

Note that this needs to be done in a way that does not jeopardize the safety or education of my son.

edit: I am in the lucky/rare situation where countries are welcoming enough to provide legal residency despite the climate. But the issue here is health insurance. US health care would be great if possible - I saw how well my grandparents were treated near the end and how long their life was extended due to the quality of local care.

edit2: I just saw this https://www.insubuy.com/medicare-fo...are%20benefits. It looks like it is possible for them to BUY medical care from the US government, if I can convince them to move stateside when they are older and get them approved. Has the US government ever dropped anyone's coverage for being too old/etc? I know private insurers are known to do that. Of course, that's a five-year gap hoping that they will be able to stay on private insurance that could be dropped at any time, which is pretty bad in itself.

diadem fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Given that the whole point of insurance as a concept is that the expected pay-out is less than what you pay in, have you considered just opening a savings account, labeling it "health insurance", and putting all the money you would expect to pay for health insurance into it? There's a chance you'd end up worse off, but statistically there's a significantly bigger chance you'd end up better off, and the cash option would be way more flexible about where you're allowed to spend it. That's assuming your goal resembles the American healthcare system. If you can get them citizenship somewhere with worthwhile state healthcare then that's almost certainly a better option for you (though one might argue you'd be exploiting the contributing citizens of that nation by dumping elderly people into their healthcare system without having contributed, so ethically it's a somewhat dubious option.)

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I sorta have a similar situation, not exact but my retiree mother is currently staying with me while her green card is being processed.

I asked my immigration lawyer for options to buy health care for someone who wouldn't qualify for medicare yet....

His response was this:

"The healthcare available to people who aren't US Citizens or residents gets really complicated. I'm not an expert but I would try to make sure she is not eligible for an ACA marketplace plan. I see some indication here that a pending I-485 green card application might be one basis for applying. I can look into it more if you have any questions.

http://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/
"

So if your in-laws are coming in with a pending green card application, according to the site above they may be able to buy health care on the exchange. Check with an immigration attorney.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz

Big K of Justice posted:

I sorta have a similar situation, not exact but my retiree mother is currently staying with me while her green card is being processed.

I asked my immigration lawyer for options to buy health care for someone who wouldn't qualify for medicare yet....

His response was this:

"The healthcare available to people who aren't US Citizens or residents gets really complicated. I'm not an expert but I would try to make sure she is not eligible for an ACA marketplace plan. I see some indication here that a pending I-485 green card application might be one basis for applying. I can look into it more if you have any questions.

http://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/
"

So if your in-laws are coming in with a pending green card application, according to the site above they may be able to buy health care on the exchange. Check with an immigration attorney.

Thank you. Thank you so much!

quote:

Immigrants with the following statuses qualify to use the Marketplace:
Lawful Permanent Resident

Those two little lines mean so much.