Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I thought I'd start a thread about Raven. He's had a really long, interesting career.

- The son of the EIC of the National Enquirer, and a former marine. Starts out in Memphis. Lawler treats him less than stellar, and Raven leaves after losing a match where had we won, he'd get a date with a young Missy Hyatt.

-Ends up in Vancouver, where he gets over, much to the annoyance of Al Tomko, who wants to push his son. Raven claims Al put up a girl to claiming he raped her. After skipping Canada on the advice of his father, and the charges get dropped. He finishes up there and moves to Portland.

-Portland, he does the Roddy Piper thing in the NWA, where he's a top heel and a color commentator. This is where starts abusing coke hard, getting so hooked that upon hearing his coke dealer has been popped, him and a friend go to the house to scrounge up any coke they can find.Raven ends up snorting a chunk of sheet rock, mistaking it for coke. Raven takes this as a wakeup call of sorts, and gives his notice. They run an angle where hes getting married to his valet. A fan thinking the wedding is real, goes to bed with him. The wedding angle ends up with him being left at the altar when it she finds out he's been sleeping around. Hilarious.

- He signs with WCW, as Scotty Flamingo. He beats Pillman for the Light Heavyweight title in a really good match, that in my opinion is a bit slept on.

Raven claims the booker told him he was destined to be the next Ric Flair. I call BS here, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he was promised great things, because its WCW. He gets shut out after losing the belt to Brad Armstrong and eventually leaves because, like a lot of the roster, he hates Bill Watts.

- Back in Memphis, still Scotty Flamingo. He wins the tag belts with Brian Christopher, and sweet Jesus ate they obnoxious. Here he is rapping in a promo on Lawler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Rvu-C-RxI

- Signs with WWE as Johnny Polo. This is where poo poo starts to really change. Raven claims that he was on the booking team and Vince wanted to make him part of his inner circle. Two things got in the way: One, what he really wanted was to be wrestling, but Vince didn't see it that way. And two, Raven and Shane are partying all the time and Vince isn't cool with it. The wrestling debate eventually ends with Raven surprising Vince and quitting

-ECW. The Raven character cones to him while watching Point Break and thinking the idea of a counter culture cult leader would work. He was right, Raven later describes this as the most creatively fulfilling period of his career. He also cones up with the concept of the Dudleys being a huge hosed up family, and does an angle that nearly gets Paul Heyman beat up by Kurt Angle: the crucifixion of the Sandman (Sandman actually made the cross in his garage).

Unfortunately, its also a period where his substance abuse is out of control.This time its opiates/somas to the point where he needs rehab. Heyman has Stevie lose the belt on his behalf, unsure if Raven will be back. When he does return, Heyman issues him an ultimatum of sorts: if you want to be ECW champion again, it has to be in a barbed wire match. Raven does it. Eventually, after dropping the belt to Terry Funk at Barely Legal, he gives notice; he's headed back to Georgia.

-IMO, Raven, had it not been for the nWo basically overrunning everything creatively, could have been the top heel for WCW. WCW audiences hated him. The Flock angle/gimmick was perfectly run. It got Saturn, Kanyon and Kidman over, it made Raven reviled, and a Raven vs Sting feud would have been fun, IMO. As is, he carried Goldberg to his 2nd best WCW match only trailing DDP at Halloween Havoc.

Speaking of Kanyon, I have to tell this story. As most of you know, Chris was gay. Only a handful of people knew: Raven was one, Father Jim Mitchell was another. Jim gets a phone call from Chris asking a favor. At this point, Jim knows about Chris' sexuality.

He explains that while moving, a briefcase that had some of Chris' sex toys fell off of the roof of his car, and basically exploded. Chris' brothers are VERY homphobic, so Kanyon panics and says "It must be that pervert Jim Mitchell's stuff! I bet he was ribbing me". So Jim takes the rap so that Chris can stay in the closet.

Raven eventually grows very unhappy in WCW. Thetes the aborted feud with Piper. The constant jobbing despite being super over.He's struggling with alcoholism, WCW is getting harder to work for. Bischoff calls a meeting saying that anybody who wants out can have their release, the lawyer is right outside the door. Raven leaves, says "See ya". And he's done with the company. He later mentions that he expected Konnan to be right behind him.

- Back in ECW. His return is a huge pop. Also the idea of Tommy having to share his championship with a man who has tormented him for years is :discourse: .

But its not a good run, mostly. Raven almost dies in rehab. On two separate occasions he does a run in and eats poo poo getting into the ring. Eventually he and Paul agree that he'll put some folks over on the way out. ECW is dying, and not even the greatest ECW champ ever can save them.

- WWE. Raven almost immediately knows hes made a mistake when he overhears Vince yell "Who the gently caress hired Raven" as Jim Ross had brokered the deal.

There's a few things worth noting. Firstly up until Mick Foley and Edge drat near kill each other at Wrestlemania, his match with Rhyno at Backlash is probably the best hardcore title match ever. Secondly, Raven accidentally almost kills another WM when he runs over an important cord with a golf cart against Kane and Big Show.

There's the aborted feud with Eddie Guerrero. The proposed feud with Steve Austin. The Ravens deadly sins angle where Raven and Tommy would fight for the soul of Hurricane Helms. They could have used him but didn't. WWE still does this.

TNA: Raven is broiling hot to begin with, doing a belt theft angle with Jeff Jarrett. Raven is in a spot to win the strap, but he was on a short-term deal, so when the title match comes, JJ puts a contract in front of him. Its implied that had Raven signed he'd have won.

However, according to Raven, he had recently gotten concussed, and didn't feel comfortable signing with literal brain damage. The match is a mess with half the roster running in. JJ retains despite being DDT'd while handcuffed. Raven does eventually win the NWA Heavyweight title. He later admits to crying upon being told he'd be winning. His reign is poorly timed, they panic and put the belt back on JJ off TV.

He also has a fun if not sloppy and overhyped feud with CM Punk in ROH. Punk rages against Raven for squandering his talent with substance abuse.

Hope you all enjoyed this.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He heard a great story from terry funk while sandman laughed his rear end off

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i saw raven at a subway before a tna show and did the raven pose behind him

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
First off, I had to make sure Raven hadn't died.

Secondly, Raven is probably the most prime example of a guy who managed to get over on his own hard work everywhere except WWE. I'd love to see him do backstage work somewhere, because he's a smart guy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That Kanyon/Jim Mitchell story is the most :unsmith: thing

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

The Bowery Death Match cage deal DDP and Raven had at the height of their feud is my favorite cage match ever. There's so much fuckery and interference but so many crazy spots and stuff I haven't seen repeated (they use a kitchen sink as a weapon). Definitely try to watch that one anyone who hasn't.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

To this day I'm mad about the house show title loss back to Jarrett

It didn't matter ultimately, it wasn't even the most petty thing Jarrett ever did, it certainly doesn't compare to any of the petty stuff we've seen in wrestling the last few years, and from a neutral perspective (if you didn't give a poo poo about Raven, Jarrett, the belt or the company) it was funny as gently caress. but still

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chris James 2 posted:

To this day I'm mad about the house show title loss back to Jarrett

It didn't matter ultimately, it wasn't even the most petty thing Jarrett ever did, it certainly doesn't compare to any of the petty stuff we've seen in wrestling the last few years, and from a neutral perspective (if you didn't give a poo poo about Raven, Jarrett, the belt or the company) it was funny as gently caress. but still

I always liked the story of ROH were going to pay Raven to lose his hair in a hair vs hair match during the CM Punk feud, because he wanted to cut it anyway & hey, payday. But TNA decided "oh wait, you should give us that match" so ROH lost the stip they'd advertised & TNA ended up having him lose to Shane Douglas in 2003 & Jim Mitchell managed to gently caress up the shaving so bad that Raven basically got scalped & was a bloody mess from a loving haircut.

And the "Clockwork Orange House of Fun Cage Match" he did with CM Punk in ROH as a make up was so bad that about half of it (it's a 31 minute match) gets edited out of the DVD & I'm not sure if an unedited version even exists.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I always liked the story of ROH were going to pay Raven to lose his hair in a hair vs hair match during the CM Punk feud, because he wanted to cut it anyway & hey, payday. But TNA decided "oh wait, you should give us that match" so ROH lost the stip they'd advertised & TNA ended up having him lose to Shane Douglas in 2003 & Jim Mitchell managed to gently caress up the shaving so bad that Raven basically got scalped & was a bloody mess from a loving haircut.

And the "Clockwork Orange House of Fun Cage Match" he did with CM Punk in ROH as a make up was so bad that about half of it (it's a 31 minute match) gets edited out of the DVD & I'm not sure if an unedited version even exists.

TNA did a lot of petty poo poo via a vis their relationship with ROH.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's changed at all but Raven's podcast for the longest time was like 10% interesting stories and 90% irritating bullshit which tbf seemed like exactly what he wanted it to be. I still remember when he had Jericho on last year and you can hear Jericho go from playing along to dying to get off the air in the span of like 20 minutes

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Raven had a great series on Wrestling psychology with ROH shoot videos that was really interesting. He clearly knows his stuff.

It also inspired Bryan Alvarez to say (paraphrasing here) "All I hear is that Raven is this great master of psychology but every Raven match I see is just dudes hitting each other with garbage cans"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

raven probably was one of my favorite guys in wcw tho, which is weird because i loving hated him in ecw and was glad to see him get kicked out after dreamer beat him. like my top 5 guys in wcw were rey mysterio jr, eddy guerrero, mongo, raven, chris jericho. raven's stuff kept me affixed to wcw more than wwf during 97 and most of 98 but when he started losing flock guys and just jobbing all the time i started to lose interest. him losing the us title one day after winning it always made me kind of resent goldberg i think.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What did you like about Mongo?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I loved Raven as a wrestler and character in WCW, and for a while there he had a ton of crowd heat; fans used to just melt down booing the guy. I also think Paul E. made a good point that Raven's character had all the makings of a babyface, but Raven played it so whiny that crowds hated him. Even ECW heel fans hated him during his first run there. It's really impressive.

He also had a great run of matches on WCW Saturday Night, both in singles (he got a fun match out of Renegade, of all people) and in tags with Saturn and Kanyon.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

I loved Raven as a wrestler and character in WCW, and for a while there he had a ton of crowd heat; fans used to just melt down booing the guy. I also think Paul E. made a good point that Raven's character had all the makings of a babyface, but Raven played it so whiny that crowds hated him. Even ECW heel fans hated him during his first run there. It's really impressive.

He also had a great run of matches on WCW Saturday Night, both in singles (he got a fun match out of Renegade, of all people) and in tags with Saturn and Kanyon.

He also has a really good match with Jaz Hatashi, with a really cool reversal for a finish

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Raven's Suicidal Tendencies shirt is legendary

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Everytime I hear Raven mentioned, I remember the story of the Goon who sold Raven a suppository at walmart or whatever, then when cleaning out the trash in the parking lot later he saw the box and used item that was recently sold to a certain wrestler

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

What did you like about Mongo?

his promos had a lot of confidence for some reason that clicked with me

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

JOHN CENA posted:

his promos had a lot of confidence for some reason that clicked with me

Cocaine would be that reason.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Raven owns. He used to wear Sandman (DC comics character) t-shirts which was cool.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the becky bayless stuff though is pretty weird

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Raven was my favorite wrestler when I was 14. He ruled.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Raven still has the funniest story on the "Forever Hardcore" documentary.

"Sandman was mad about the crucifixion. He kept saying "WELL WHY DON'T YOU CRUCIFY ME ON A JEWISH STAR?" I told him we couldn't, because then he'd just roll away."

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 1, 2020

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Vince MechMahon posted:

Raven was my favorite wrestler when I was 14. He ruled.

I preferred the Flock to the nWo as a kid. I forget who the best was, after Kaynon is was either Lodi or Sick Boy

or Wade Boggs

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Raven was a better shoot interviewee than he was a wrestler

bartok
May 10, 2006

Eat My Fuc posted:

Raven's Suicidal Tendencies shirt is legendary

I started listening to Dinosaur Jr. because of a shirt he wore.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Hirez posted:

Everytime I hear Raven mentioned, I remember the story of the Goon who sold Raven a suppository at walmart or whatever, then when cleaning out the trash in the parking lot later he saw the box and used item that was recently sold to a certain wrestler

That was me, and for the record it was a Walgreens

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

you lucky dog, you've also cursed me because I literally think about it everytime I see a post about Raven :smith:

Hirez fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 1, 2020

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Was he still using then? One of the few things he recalls from his oxy/heroin years is that it took him forever to poo poo because of all the codeine in his system.

Reality Protester posted:

Raven was a better shoot interviewee than he was a wrestler

Raven could be pretty drat good in the ring when he was motivated. The problem was keeping him that way, which only two promoters really knew how to do.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Was he still using then? One of the few things he recalls from his oxy/heroin years is that it took him forever to poo poo because of all the codeine in his system.

Raven could be pretty drat good in the ring when he was motivated. The problem was keeping him that way, which only two promoters really knew how to do.

When you're trying to kick, the body sometimes needs coaxing because it's become used to constipation

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Someone at AKI or THQ clearly liked Raven. The Flock was presented as a force on par with both nWos, he was on the cover, and they gave him lots of unique animations. No idea why but it gave me a thrill to run into the turnbuckle and do the Raven sit even though it did no damage to your opponent.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Tato posted:

Someone at AKI or THQ clearly liked Raven. The Flock was presented as a force on par with both nWos, he was on the cover, and they gave him lots of unique animations. No idea why but it gave me a thrill to run into the turnbuckle and do the Raven sit even though it did no damage to your opponent.
I was going to mention the same thing actually, I was a huge Raven fan when he was in WCW, he was just so cool at the time. There were a lot of guys in WCW that were just oozing cool and had a ton of character.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The Evenflow looked so cool when he was young & spry and could put some snap into it. Also an innovator WRT wrestling in jean shorts.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

As a young mark in 1995, there was little cooler than the Raven-Tommy Dreamer feud.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i really liked the revenge cover because it basically featured the face of each of the factions, hogan's nwo b&w, nash's wolfpac, raven's flock, and goldberg as the new driving force behind WCW. i think i remember an interview where the original mockup had sting in raven's place but th*q's marketing people felt raven would be more condusive marketing wise. its also very probable the marketing guy was just a raven mark

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
WCW/nWo Revenge is also the best wrestling game of all time, so that checks out.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the soundtrack is still in my head like 25 years later.

it was very much not WCW music but it just *felt* like WCW music

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Tato posted:

according to Raven the project manager loved him so they made him a big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Critical posted:

according to Raven the project manager loved him so they made him a big deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUGi2X42sQ