Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

They picked up Amari Rodgers in the draft, and now signed Cobb. Don't be shocked if 2 WRs get cut - I'm thinking Funchess and ESB.

I mean, I'm no GM, but if you gave me the choice between Randall Cobb and Devin Funchess, I'd go with Cobb.

Given the choice between Devin Funchess and Rod Hoofhearted the poster I’m probably sending you a league minimum NFL contract tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

In the so stupid it may just work category,

The Lions are having Goff have significant input in shaping and running the offense.

Maybe with him having a more active role in how an offense is constructed and executed he will perform better?

This year really will be the litmus test on whether Goff is salvageable, and the Lions seem to be doing everything possible to give him a fair shake.

Im super optimistic about our coaching, which hopefully Detroit fans will buy into when the Lions end up finishing sub .500 this year.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

They picked up Amari Rodgers in the draft, and now signed Cobb. Don't be shocked if 2 WRs get cut - I'm thinking Funchess and ESB.

I mean, I'm no GM, but if you gave me the choice between Randall Cobb and Devin Funchess, I'd go with Cobb.

I think we end up keeping six receivers on the final roster:

WR1: Davante Adams
WR2: Marquez Valdes-Scantling
WR3: Randall Cobb
WR4: Allen Lazard
WR5: Amari Rodgers
WR6: ?

The first five aren't in question at all; the sixth is. Devin Funchess probably had the advantage before this, but I could see Malik Taylor or ESB getting it now. I think Reggie Begelton and Juwann Winfree both spend another year on the practice squad, although maybe one of them has a shot at that sixth slot. I have no idea who Chris Blair or DeAndre Thompkins are.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Funchess doesn’t play special teams so he was a long shot to make roster even before Cobb. Now he really is.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Is he saying the, uh, c-word here? I thought he said "tinky" and he was describing, like, a twinkle in the eye.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

MJeff posted:

Is he saying the, uh, c-word here? I thought he said "tinky" and he was describing, like, a twinkle in the eye.

That's what I heard too

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Nah, he said "chinky".

And that's unfortunate.

I think it's quite clear he wasn't being malicious with it, even if the statement itself is. And I think it's important that he almost immediately said "I'm sorry" about it, not realizing what he'd done and why it's important that what he said and did was important.

I also think that it's important to note that a great many comment sections of sports websites, upon seeing this, jumped all over it and said "Well other people have said racist things too and they got booted and this is just as bad why not done?" Not seeing the scale or immediate apology part of the whole thing and rather "ONE PERSON OUTLY RACIST THIS PERSON RACIST TOO JUST AS BAD".

It's not a hard line to walk when a white athlete, coach, or manager says or does something overtly racist and then takes their time to think about and then maybe make atones for what they might consider racist conduct.
This man had a slip of the tongue that was wrong, acknowledged it, and immediately apologized for it.

If you can't see the difference in that, and I'm not saying this thread or this forum cannot because if anywhere on the internet can, it is here, then, well, uh, go gently caress yourself.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Yeah, that was just a slip of the tongue.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Darth Brooks posted:

Yeah, that was just a slip of the tongue.

I wouldn't call it a "slip of the tongue". It's not okay to normalize (not saying you are, I mean what Funch did with the word) and that's a very different problem than those who use these terms in an aggressive, hateful way but still a big issue.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

There's not one person on this planet who hasn't said the wrong thing at the wrong time or done something worthy of serious regret. If they haven't, they haven't lived long enough. The people who are least forgiving of the flaws of others usually have far worse flaws themselves.

E: And just to be clear, you should never stop trying to root out attitudes and actions when you realize they are wrong.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 9, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1424534946480197634?s=19

love you Calvin

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Are we saying it was an accident to that just so happen to work in that context?

Hell of a coincidence

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

It shouldn't be in anyone's vocabulary in the first place, so "it was just a slip of the tongue" is being way too forgiving, especially when you add the hand motion he did while saying it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Best shape coaching of his life

https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/1424419979852718085

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It shouldn't be in anyone's vocabulary in the first place, so "it was just a slip of the tongue" is being way too forgiving, especially when you add the hand motion he did while saying it.

In an ideal world this is true, but that's just not the world we live in. It's important to educate people on why words that may have been normalized and even downplayed in severity in their lives or upbringings or media or whatever for many years are actually problematic. It's our job to address how those words are a big deal and perpetuate hate and violence towards others. You can tell by his candor and body language that it wasn't something he realized was a huge deal to say, snd that's a huge loving problem too.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

You ever look at your avatar?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
All this is academic anyway he knew what he was doing and did damage control once it happened

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
If you don't believe people can actually not "know what they're doing" and causing harm, you're a loving sheltered moron incapable of understanding the nuances of society and absolutely part of the problem lmao

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

he knew what he was doing

Are you sincerely arguing that this man in casual conversation and on a whim which, once he was told "hey, you can't say that", immediately apologized for,

quote 'knew what he was doing' did so as to victimize an entire race of people?
Because that's what you're stating here, and I doubt that was his true intent and I'm wondering if you believe that to be true.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
You know I don’t want him out of the league. But at this point he should know better and rather than carry so much water for him because he apologized, recognize that if you are hurt by this type of language you might not bend over backwards immediately to forgive him as well.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Nobody has to forgive him. The thing he did was very wrong and extremely bad and it's both shocking and sad that he, at his age, obviously didn't realize the gravity or has never been able to realize how hurtful any racist words can be. That said I am pretty sure his intent was not malicious (which doesn't make it better though that's a very important point too) and to not be able to recognize the difference between this and, say, Riley Cooper... is an issue itself.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
I hope one day to live in a world where the Asian community has fully recovered from the damage that Devin Funchess has done to them, and as a united, enlightened people join together and buy marijuana from Calvin Johnson.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
As a celestial (my favorite anti-Chinese slur) I will speak for us all and give Funchess a pass on this.

It wasn’t malicious and it seems very unlikely he’ll ever say “chink” again.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

A narrow opening in the otherwise strong moral armour of Funchess

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I feel like there might be a reaction between "this is basically nothing, he wasn't trying to be mean and it was a slip of the tongue and nobody should be mad at him at all" and "he is pure evil and must be expunged from reality" but several posters seem to think those are the only 2 options and that if we aren't on board with the former we are actively campaigning for the latter.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Guy A. Person posted:

I feel like there might be a reaction between "this is basically nothing, he wasn't trying to be mean and it was a slip of the tongue and nobody should be mad at him at all" and "he is pure evil and must be expunged from reality" but several posters seem to think those are the only 2 options and that if we aren't on board with the former we are actively campaigning for the latter.

I don't think anyone is calling him "pure evil [that] must be expunged from reality." A couple of people called for him to be cut, which is pretty reasonable given that he's on the roster bubble anyway. He hosed up, he apologized, now it's up for him to actually take meaningful changes. If he gets cut on account of his fuckup, big whoop.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t care that much it’s just really funny how easily people will convince themselves something happened to make themselves feel better

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I just want him gone cause he sucks at football now. :shrug:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t care that much it’s just really funny how easily people will convince themselves something happened to make themselves feel better

oh, I guess?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

We're rebooting all the divisional threads for the new season. Can somebody make a new NFCN thread?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Post + Avatar convo is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Ehud posted:

We're rebooting all the divisional threads for the new season. Can somebody make a new NFCN thread?

I"m on it boss

Admin Edit!!

New thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975966