Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Problem description: I recently bought a Western Digital Ultrastar 6TB drive new in box, had to return it for exchange due to a problem, and the latter exhibited the same problem:

I got my first drive, and connected it to a SATA port on my motherboard. While it would let me look at basic serial number information, it would not let me look at SMART status. It reported a logical and physical sector size of 512, even though it should have been be a 512e/4Kn drive. I couldn't actually write to the drive: trying to create a partition table -- or even read data on the drive -- resulted in a generic input/output error from any software I used. Finally, the drive would click for half a minute at computer and OS bootup, which was strange.

I RMA'd this drive to get another, thinking that would solve the problem.

The second drive I got was connected to a SATA port the same way. It didn't freeze the bootup process, but it also wouldn't work. Through a few hours of experimentation, I found out:
- According to a WD internal tool "hugo", the drive is locked because ATA security is set. hdparm concurs.
- Trying ATA unlock commands using either the WD or HGST master password do nothing.
- Like the first drive, the second one reports a logical and physical sector of 512, despite this supposedly being a 512e drive.
- Like the first drive, any attempt to read or write data results in a generic input/output error.
- And again like the first drive, it isn't showing SMART attributes.

Thinking that there could be a way to disable ATA security on the drive, I found a key combination which unlocked a Hard Drive Security tab on my motherboard's UEFI... but only my main drive, an SSD, is shown there. The hard drive I purchased doesn't even show up there, which may mean a different drive security standard than my motherboard cares for.

Some more experimentation showed that hdparm displays a sense error:
code:
SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 04 51 00 00 21 04 00 00 80 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
The only other people who seems to have this kind of issue are using USB enclosures? This doesn't make sense unless my motherboard is doing something fucky...

I also tried calling and chatting with WD support, who unhelpfully told me they "didn't support Linux" (despite their internal documentation claiming otherwise), and that at this point I can return it to the vendor. Again.

I'm at 0 for 2 on a drive model. Am I just having bad luck with the two I got? Is this an incompatibility between an "entreprise" drive and a consumer motherboard? Or is my motherboard's SATA controller acting up, even though it worked for another device?

Full hdparm -I output is: here

Attempted fixes:
- Rebooting.
- Testing SATA/power cables.
- Making sure the SATA ports and cables work with a SATA SSD I have lying around
- Made sure SATA was in AHCI mode.
- Searching through the UEFI BIOS for hard drive security.
- Attempted unlock commands with WD master password.
- Called WD support

Recent changes: Nope.

--

Operating system: Manjaro Linux (64-bit)

System specs:
Motherboard: Asrock B450M Pro4
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU: Radeon RX 5500 XT
Memory: 2*8 GB RAM (Some G.Skill Ripjaws)
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 650W
Main drive: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB
Problem drive: WD Ultrastar 6TB, aka HGST HUS726T6TALE6L4 internally

I have Googled and read the FAQ: For a few hours

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Anaxite posted:

I'm at 0 for 2 on a drive model. Am I just having bad luck with the two I got? Is this an incompatibility between an "entreprise" drive and a consumer motherboard? Or is my motherboard's SATA controller acting up, even though it worked for another device?

The likelihood of getting two DOA enterprise drives seems very, very unlikely.

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

I was at the latest recommended one for my CPU, and have also tried the latest version.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 6, 2020

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

The drive has now also been tried in Windows with no luck. Unless two SATA cables that work on another drive are somehow incompatible, or a SATA-to-Molex power adapter doesn't do that one fix I've researched, looks like this drive is DoA as well.

Or I have an incompatible motherboard SATA controller.

Trying ASRock as a last resort, and then moving on to another drive.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Final update: RMA'd the second drive, waited to get a third drive... and this one works. I was just really unlucky to get two DOA drives the first time.