Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
When I wrote that achievement, I sincerely thought the challenge was going to be maxing out the stat, and aiming the pitch well enough to actually get up to that speed... not just "managing to stay in the major league long enough to actually throw a pitch that you've been throwing for months".

Still, well done! I think it's good to have some nice simple achievements entirely under your own control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

We got another achievement! Turgid K. Pnurtis, long after maxing out the velocity on his fastball, finally got a chance to throw said fastball in the majors. So it's time to throw some more heat, with...

Official Turgid K. Pnurtis Spicy Gingersnaps™

First, you want to finely chop about a third of a cup of candied/crystalized ginger. Put some oil on the blade of your knife to help keep it from sticking to the blade and gumming up. Set that aside for now.

In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (sorry I don't have the measurement by weight, I should probably do that), 1 and a half teaspoons of baking soda, half a teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of ground ginger, one and a half teaspoons of ground cinnamon, and a quarter teaspoon of ground cloves. Whisk that together until homogenous. NOTE: If you want extra-spicy Spicy Gingersnaps, now would be the time to add things like black pepper, cayenne, etc. Personally I think that takes away from the ginger flavor, so I go with the candied ginger to amp up spice.

In a mixing bowl, cream together a stick and a half of unsalted butter with two thirds of a cup of white sugar. Then add your chopped candied ginger, a quarter cup of molasses, half a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and one large egg. Beat together until thoroughly combined.

Add the dry ingredients to your wet ingredients, and stir until the dry stuff just disappears. Now if you're making this at home, this is the point where you cover the dough and stick it in the fridge for at least an hour, or even overnight. I'm making this for a forum thread because I don't plan ahead, so I didn't do that. But I suffer for my misdeeds! Do as I say, not as I do!

Now get yourself a little prep station going. You want your dough, your parchment-lined cookie sheet, a plate with a decent amount of white sugar on it, and something with a flat, hard bottom. I'm using a ramekin.

Scoop out about a tablespoon of dough, roll it into a ball, and roll the ball around on the sugar until it's completely coated.

Place the ball onto the parchment paper, then use your flat-bottomed instrument of choice to press it down into a disc. Sprinkle some extra sugar on top.

Repeat until you have a tray full of cookies ready to go into the oven. Note the smear of dough near the bottom left cookie, because I didn't loving fridge my cookie dough. FRIDGE YOUR DOUGH! Anyway, bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes, depending on how snappy you like your gingersnaps and how well your oven works.

Behold what my folly has wrought: cookies that all ran together and spread too thin, overbaking in the time I set based on refrigerated dough. Flavor was still good enough that I promptly ate half of these.

Now go, and savor the heat of Pnurtis's fastball!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 32 - July 2008 featuring MizKriss

Poor MizKriss has to provide (basically) solo commentary as her beloved Cubs face the Mets.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Half of the peanut gallery signed with the Nationals while the other half were traded to the Padres for a couple lottery tickets and a tuna sandwich.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Pretty much always relevant: Metsoloft, available by prescription to all Mets fans.

Also! The prior owners, the Wilpons, had surefire investments, paying steady returns year after year. They had a good buddy in Bernie Madoff! Wait.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
:mets:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 33 - August 2008 featuring Miz Kriss

I can't believe I have to bake two things for one game. First one is coming tomorrow or Monday, the second sometime later this week. I'm gonna need to buy supplies (and practice one of them).

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

For striking out the side, today's recipe is something that might pass for something immaculate on a good day, but isn't.

Turgid K. Pnurtis Not-So-Immaculate Chocolate Lava Cake

First off, you want to butter and flour some ramekins for later. I'm terrible at this and always do either too much or too little, and this was on the 'too little' side because they struggled to release from the bottom. In the meantime, your oven should be preheating to 450F.

Also in the meantime, you should be melting half a cup of unsalted butter with six ounces of semi-sweet chocolate (about 50-60% cacao) in a double boiler or bain-marie. Also if you're trying to document this for a Let's Play thread, you should remember to take a picture of this step.

Whisk together 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks until they roughly double in volume and lighten in color. This might look frothy here, but keep going.

Better, but keep going!

Now we're talking. Whisk in 3 tablespoons of white sugar, one and a half tablespoons of brown sugar, a half teaspoon of salt, and one and a half teaspoons of vanilla extract. (This photo is after these additions.)

Fold the egg stuff into the chocolate stuff, then fold in about two tablespoons of flour. Another step I'm not good at. It's better to be streaky like this than to overmix at this stage, because you'll deflate the egg mixture and that's bad.

Pour the batter into your prepared ramekins (preferably without spilling like I did) and put them in the oven for 10-11 minutes. Err on the side of too little time than too much, because these are lava cakes and if you overbake them, you get no lava.

Also ignore the lower right one where I accidentally spilled extra flour into the batter. Don't do that.

This is probably as far as you ever want to take them. The top should be set with those cracks, but it should still be gooey inside. Again, ignore the bottom right, it didn't rise properly and that was a handling error, not a batter error. Batting error?

See, they can sorta look like soufflé and are sorta made like soufflé but are way more forgiving! So, not quite immaculate! Anyway, go around the edge with a knife to loosen them, and invert them onto a plate.

Optionally, if you made these not just for the internet but also for your mom's birthday this past weekend, dust with powdered sugar to make them look all fancy (and hide any ugliness from sticking to the bottom of the ramekin) and stick a birthday candle in there.

And there you have it, Not-So-Immaculate Chocolate Lava Cake! Enjoy!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
feel like we need a crab cake recipe at some point.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I shudder to think at baking a crab cake instead of frying it

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 34 - September 2008 featuring Danaru, habeasdorkus, and Miz Kriss

A Pnurtis is finally in the playoffs!

...in the minors...

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Alright now that our baby boy Turgid’s been flying through the achievements and has officially surpassed his big brother, we should have some more goals.

The Smash Mouth Reference Make it to the All Star Game
Going Postal Make it to the Postseason
The Postman Always Delivers Win a Postseason Series

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The Postman Always Rings Twice: win two world series.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 35 - April 2009 featuring bunnyofdoom, Danaru, habeasdorkus, and Miz Kriss

There were audio issues in this recording session, and all I know is that it was because of one of my co-commentators. Rather than speculate, however, I'm just going to blame Danaru.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Alternate Timeline Win the World Series before 2016 as the Cubs

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I've just found this and after watching flaccid's first few games I'm disappointed to find out he's already washed out of the league.

roll on turgid I guess

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 35 - April 2009 featuring bunnyofdoom, Danaru, habeasdorkus, and Miz Kriss

There were audio issues in this recording session, and all I know is that it was because of one of my co-commentators. Rather than speculate, however, I'm just going to blame Danaru.

How dare you imply I've ever had a technical issue during an LP :mad:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Danaru: appearing drunk in an LP near you! Maybe even yours!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

ilmucche posted:

I've just found this and after watching flaccid's first few games I'm disappointed to find out he's already washed out of the league.

roll on turgid I guess

Flaccid may be coming soon to an LP thread near you.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Redemption Arc: with the bases loaded and no outs, strikeout three batters without giving up a run

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Ooof, I dunno what was up with my audio that last session. I hope that's not the same going forward.

(it wasn't great the episode before that, either, but at least i wasn't completely indecipherable)

e: Oh! I had forgotten! I had a dream about Turgid! He was throwing his fastball at 111 mph and I was like "wow, I didn't even know you could throw that hard."

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 31, 2021

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

e: Oh! I had forgotten! I had a dream about Turgid! He was throwing his fastball at 111 mph and I was like "wow, I didn't even know you could throw that hard."

Fastball Baggins and his 111th birthday.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Should learn from the wakefield school of pitching. 65 mph knuckler and a 74 mph fastball that freezes them.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

Fastball Baggins and his 111th birthday.

We need to name our next pitcher this :colbert:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 36 - May 2009 featuring bunnyofdoom, Danaru, habeasdorkus, and Miz Kriss

This is the same recording session with the messed up audio so apologies for that. Also I have more achievements than recorded recipes at this point, and I don't remember what achievements we even have, and don't know how to pair them up anymore. So apologies for that as well, but recipes will come eventually.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

The call ups / send downs don't really make any sense to me. You got sent down in September when the roster was expanding and you'd just pitched like a half dozen clean saves including an immaculate inning?

I suppose it is the Cubs.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 37 - June 2009 featuring bunnyofdoom, Danaru, habeasdorkus, and Miz Kriss

It's the last episode with the borked audio. Today we record a new session, hopefully, with no borked audio, hopefully.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 37 - June 2009 featuring bunnyofdoom, Danaru, habeasdorkus, and Miz Kriss

It's the last episode with the borked audio. Today we record a new session, hopefully, with no borked audio, hopefully.

Featuring the story of how my Dad was mistaken for a serial killer

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It feels annoying that as the pitcher all your batters seem to have perfect plate discipline and with 90%+ accuracy determine if a pitch is a strike or not. The point of a pitch like the changeup is to confuse the batter into swinging for an unhittable ball.

Also if you keep missing your target on your offspeed pitches maybe you should aim the reticule off the plate and let its inherent instability make it a strike? Seems like it worked out a few times (probably accidentally) when you were left of the plate and then it landed right in the zone.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 38 - July 2009 featuring bunnyofdoom, HulkaMatt, Danaru, Miz Kriss, and The_Goog

It's a new recording session, and the audio doesn't sound like total garbage! Just the regular amount of garbage.

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 4, 2021

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

CirclMastr posted:

Episode 38 - July 2009 featuring bunnyofdoom, HulkaMatt, Danaru, Miz Kriss, and The_Goog

It's a new recording session, and the audio doesn't sound like total garbage! Just the regular amount of garbage.
This links to the June 2009 episode.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

ArchWizard posted:

This links to the June 2009 episode.

I hate how often I do this. But it should be fixed now.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 39 - August 2009 featuring bunnyofdoom, Mistywave, Danaru, Miz Kriss, and The_Goog

Astute viewers will note that in this episode, HulkaMatt has stepped away. Astute viewers will also note that I do not immediately give up multiple home runs to my opponents. Coincidence, or...?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Apparently when I posted that episode, I forgot to actually publish it. Welp.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Hi friends! I've been lurking this thread and just wanted to say if you've been enjoying this LP, a bunch of posters/commentators in this thread (including circlmastr) are also part of the Super-League, another interactive baseball LP that just opened signups for next season! It's a super fun time and you get to hang out with all your favorite LP superstars of this thread, come check it out!!!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Monicro posted:

Hi friends! I've been lurking this thread and just wanted to say if you've been enjoying this LP, a bunch of posters/commentators in this thread (including circlmastr) are also part of the Super-League, another interactive baseball LP that just opened signups for next season! It's a super fun time and you get to hang out with all your favorite LP superstars of this thread, come check it out!!!

I do recommend you sign up for this, I joined knowing basically nothing about baseball, and I'm still having fun. Everyone is friendly and willing to help out with questions like "what is going on" and "how do I do this" and be sure to directly PM HulkaMatt with all of them.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 40 - September 2009 featuring bunnyofdoom, Mistywave, HulkaMatt, Danaru, Miz Kriss, and The_Goog

I don't even know what to say about this.

Other than to join the Super League, check Monicro's post just above this!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

catching up but yeah chris sale is nuts. it was some throwbacks he didn't like that he took the scissors to.

the stout refusal of pnurtis to back anyone up is great.

Interleague happens more now because there's 15/15 split AL/NL since the stros moved over so it has to happen to get every team playing

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 15, 2021

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 41 - April 2010 featuring bunnyofdoom, Mistywave, Danaru, Miz Kriss, and The_Goog

It's a new season but the same old Cubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
This is absolute magic. Looking forward to more recipes.