Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are you using the stock EPAS in the BRZ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BlackMK4 posted:

Are you using the stock EPAS in the BRZ?

No, it's a GC8 hydralic. Kaptain Ballistik couldnt get it working when he tired a few years ago

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah okay. Mine cuts out like mad and it drives me nuts, the only actual solution I've come across is DCE who wants $5k for their drop in motor / controller upgrade.

Thank you

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji0Xs91QIBM

FINALLY the loving point of this thread

Its time to get this Clubspec EVO4 GC8 intot he garage and finally .... FINALLY.... begin to restore it. Only taken five loving years to even begin this project

(Forester seems to have a intermittent starting issue. Still stuuuupid fast when it runs altho I have turned it down to sane boost levels now)

First tasks -

Fix sunroof
Redo passenfer side guard
Disassemble front bumper
Look at rear rust issue
Clean interior

About bloody time the actual reason this thread exists is beginning.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 19, 2023

Lincoln Freak
Sep 11, 2001
The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!
Alright, looking forward to this! Godspeed Mr. Interceptor! :)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Maybe not an issue in Australia but uh... this makes me nervous.

"Look at rear rust issue"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

builds character posted:

Maybe not an issue in Australia but uh... this makes me nervous.

"Look at rear rust issue"

Surface rust from what looks like to be a crash repair. Also this car has spent 5-6 years under a tree before I got it, I got it going and registered before the gearbox made weird noises and I put it aside again .... annnnd then didnt get to it for another five years -_-

If it wasnt 170/300 of a limited edition it probably would have been parted out years ago.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I have no idea where I'm up to talking about this project so it's just gonna be a photo dump with kitties

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I have no idea where I'm up to talking about this project so it's just gonna be a photo dump with kitties

Hold up, what?
Are you OK?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
You'd better be ok CAT INTERCEPTOR

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'm Im fine, the stomach haaaaaaaates blood pressure medication

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iweCicso6Jo

Something about a AWD BRZ not being posted.........

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah mine messes with my vision, so I only take it if my blood pressure gets really bad now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm on 3 blood pressure meds, still have high BP. I'm just not a walking stroke with the meds...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah mine messes with my vision, so I only take it if my blood pressure gets really bad now.

The thing that pisses me off so much about blood pressure medication is that the side effects are so badly communicated, esp for someone like me who is in general intolerant of medications - not allergic, just dont tolerate them well. I can accept that sure the family issues with high blood pressure meant even a person who is far fitter than the doctors (let alone general population) I'd need medication but FFS I've gone through 6 in short order because the side effects are just awful and some "rare" ones like GERD on turboboost.

It's in some ways a relief to hear others saying yes they get hosed up side effects. Because it's misreble to be so blindsided by issues caused by trying to address an issue like BP

One positive effect tho is that ACE inhibitors it turns out is a known PED and that has helped increase the amount of cycling I do from 1250Kms a month to 1800kms+ (as well as you know just getting out there far more and finding any excuse to ride....)

But mostly just gently caress BP medications and gently caress the lack of communication of just what they can do to you.

(The side effects do make sense because you are fuckign with a fundamental body process but still)

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

gently caress the lack of communication of just what they can do to you.

Been fighting this too, both with my father and myself. I was telling him to go thru his meds and check ALL the side effects, and low and behold it explains some of his problems, so I did the same myself. My main problem is weight, but I'm struggling with muscle and joint pain and trouble moving, so exercise is proving hard. I know it's hard, that's fine, but I'm not seeing progress and for a while now I've just felt like somethings not right. Oh, turns out two of my meds cause muscle and joint pain and trouble moving, on top of what excess weight does. I'm not just lazy!

What I realised is the communication problem is doctors and pharmacists focus on the dangerous side effects, they tell you all about them, but you're on your own with the more mundane ones. Turns out those mundane ones can stack up!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

One positive effect tho is that ACE inhibitors it turns out is a known PED and that has helped increase the amount of cycling I do from 1250Kms a month to 1800kms+ (as well as you know just getting out there far more and finding any excuse to ride....)

I wonder if this applies to ARB inhibitors as well? I had to switch from ACE because they gave me a dry cough (let me tell you how fun that was during the height of COVID), but ARB carries many of the same benefits (including protecting kidneys)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Been fighting this too, both with my father and myself. I was telling him to go thru his meds and check ALL the side effects, and low and behold it explains some of his problems, so I did the same myself. My main problem is weight, but I'm struggling with muscle and joint pain and trouble moving, so exercise is proving hard. I know it's hard, that's fine, but I'm not seeing progress and for a while now I've just felt like somethings not right. Oh, turns out two of my meds cause muscle and joint pain and trouble moving, on top of what excess weight does. I'm not just lazy!

What I realised is the communication problem is doctors and pharmacists focus on the dangerous side effects, they tell you all about them, but you're on your own with the more mundane ones. Turns out those mundane ones can stack up!

The first BP medications caused extreme lethargy, loss of morning appetite, stomach pain and depression. Eventually I just said "No gently caress this" and stopped cold to prove it wasnt something else. When my brain refused to ride beyond 5 kms - and if you know me you know 5kms isnt even a warm up normally - thats when i understood that no, these fuckign thngs do real harm even if it's not "severe allergy"

Next was the hives breakout. I'm not allergic to anything.

The we circle back to more stomach issues and then the GERD just going utterly crazy oh and then sure how about the sinus and breathing issues caused by Bardayn(sp) enzyme buildup? Now I can only sleep on one side else I cant breathe lying down

Ahhhh well, did you also know caffeine also interacts poorly? And hey if you have a sweet tooth like I do, say goodbye to the sweets and chocolate, your system wont like that anymore either! Positive side effect of that, with the sugar gone from the diet things do taste sweeter. And of course alcohol is a "gently caress no" for anyone on blood pressure medication but no issue there for me, I dont drink. That one did get mentioned as a negative but not the straight out "just loving dont" that is really what is the case.

I'm tolerating the to medications now but jeeeeez the ACE inhibitor can be wild.

Oh and last...... did they mention have the medications with food? No. But with CCB's that better happen or I'm going to have either a lethargic spell or the guts will be raging pain esp if you have a hint of diverticus - which CCB's actually also cause and inflame your large intestine.

But hey here's another pill to help the symptoms - no get hosed, I'm not taking another medication long term because the first one cause problems, PPI's might be GERD fix magic do poo poo like damage your liver long term. Sometimes I feel like the amount of pills being popped by society is a cascade all trying to fix another symptom caused further up the chain and it's not sustainable.

Oh and yeah good luck if you are a woman, medical studies do a piss poor job studying effects on you because for too long there was a presumption women would react the same as men and all the focus was on a male subset.

Really over this poo poo. I'm happy to do somethign about blood pressure but goddamnit not like this. (TBF, I am kinda tolerating what I'm taking now but yeah I have bad days)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ugh and thats part why I'm not that quick working the cars right now. Maybe this weekend I'll muster the mental energy

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sorry about the BP woes but the BRZ is :krad:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well that aint good

(Gearbox)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Artisanal home made lapping compound?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Uhh.... where was I?

Photodump to catch up

(4am riding bike? Yeaaaaaah)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Taking apart the yellow WRX's motor

Uh.... wait a sec, that's not standard

Thats standard WRX

[img]https://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/i.php?/upload/2024/03/17/20240317033505-11aca7a3-xx.jpg[/img]

And thats standard STI

So having a look under the motor to see what bottom of the pistonslook like, they look like forged Carrillo's. Well thats a bit of win.... must have been installed years ago tho, the motor hasnt been apart in a long time

I dont remeber EJ205's being that well baffled......?

THere's a fair bit here to unpack and some oddities. Forged pistons but stock rods? Stock turbo? Very odd.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

How do you do fellow Subarusiasts?

I have a 1985 VW Vanagon with an EJ22 swap and I'd like to move the oil pressure sender from a filter sandwich plate to one of the galleys. I'm inexperienced at this sort of thing... can the galleys just be... unscrewed? And an adapter fitting threaded in with teflon tape? Or do I have to drill/tap something? Thank you.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

rope kid posted:

How do you do fellow Subarusiasts?

I have a 1985 VW Vanagon with an EJ22 swap and I'd like to move the oil pressure sender from a filter sandwich plate to one of the galleys. I'm inexperienced at this sort of thing... can the galleys just be... unscrewed? And an adapter fitting threaded in with teflon tape? Or do I have to drill/tap something? Thank you.

I know this is not the exact engine, but I helped a friend do this on their WRX with no issues.
https://www.wrxtuners.com/threads/oil-pressure-sensor-install-in-galley-plug.45194/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

With cats !
With Bikes!
With... a very sus thing growing at the side of the road!
Engines torn down!
Street art!
Cars moved and a once again working WRX/STI swapped Forester!

(YEllow WRX's motor had bearing wear so engine out was adamn good idea, it didnt have long to go)

(Forester's issue was the blue ECU conenctor had loose wires. Now it starts once again)

(3:40am is when I catch the train to go to work)

(The handsome boi is not my cat)

(Those are possums under the roof of the deck having a very noisy fight)

(Maddi is a good poo poo poster and loves sitting with homans when they are playing Minecraft)

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 14, 2024