Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Okay, we all had fun with yelling about bacon, insisting to everyone that they loved bacon if they said they didn't, wearing clothing item that had bacon on it, covering bacon in everything, covering everything with bacon, making everything bacon flavored, sprinkling things with bacon, constantly reminding everyone that we loved bacon, drinking bacon, canning bacon, snorting bacon, cheating on your partner with a slab of bacon, etc. but the shine has come off, and now we no longer revere bacon as our meme food.

So what are we gonna do? We're gonna come with teh new epic garage food to meme about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
offbrand jimmy deans is really good, hope to eat 1 today

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I think there's a few lessons we can take away from avocado that may help us in this discussion:

1) needs to look cute when you cut it open- Avacodos taste bad but look good in a picture because they are are pleasingly round and have nice contrast between pit/flesh/skin. I'm not sure a dead chicken cut in half has quite the same visual appeal, for instance. Hard boiled eggs??? Maybe. Coconuts? Olives?

2) Should be able to be spread on toast- toast is the hot new trend and I think we need to piggyback on that. avocado, despite being disgusting, was a big hit because you could spread it on toast, which influential millennial instagram influencers crave. our research show that the biggest trend in food and dieting in 2021 is going to be 'all-toast diets.' Looks like juice cleanses are 'toast'! Anyway, as above, a split in half dead chicken is not immediately spreadable on toast, so maybe not a great choice. Eggs might have some potential here? Not quite spreadable (although maybe in shell, sous-vide soft-scrambled could be? The INcredible, spreadable egg?? Just spitballin here) but they definitely have a breakfast and thus toast association that i think we could leverage. All your basic spreads (jelly, peanut butter, butter, nutella etc) are well and good, but I'm not sure they'll capture the aspirational imagination of today's foodie.

3)doesn't have to taste good-This is where avocado really excels. Nobody actually likes it and avocado sales were terrible before 2014. turns out removing 'tastes good' as a requirement opens up alot of options! Cut in half dead chicken actually really does well in this category, as do pickles.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Macnult

Khanstant posted:

offbrand jimmy deans is really good, hope to eat 1 today

call it jimmy memes and watch the impact-font numbers go up

Escape From Noise

I'm confused because avocados taste really good

Escape From Noise

Egg salad can be spread on toast... but it's not very versatile. Can't see candied egg salad being a thing.

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
just got off the horn with fellas down under, they're telling me Vegemite is picking up some serious traction

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

The Voice of Labor

gonna go with semisweet dark chocolate

like it's real similar to a food stuff most people like, but different enough that most people don't like it

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
What about Vegemite? It's niche and underground, but shows you are a goon of the world

And it's delicious, albeit an acquired taste

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Prof. Crocodile

i don't want to sound like a trend-jumper, but have we given enough thought to kohlrabi?
  • its leafy texture makes it versatile in photoshops (biblical fig leaves, marihuana, etc.)
  • its has a funny name that can be mispronounced or misspelled for comic effect a la internet 1.0
  • its name rhymes with all kinds of words (hobby, bobby, sloppy, punjabi, etc.)
  • its kind of exotic so it has good hipster/anti-hipster joke potential
  • it kinda looks like a pokemon
  • taste unknown because literally no one has ever eaten it

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Prof. Crocodile posted:

i don't want to sound like a trend-jumper, but have we given enough thought to kohlrabi?
  • its leafy texture makes it versatile in photoshops (biblical fig leaves, marihuana, etc.)
  • its has a funny name that can be mispronounced or misspelled for comic effect a la internet 1.0
  • its name rhymes with all kinds of words (hobby, bobby, sloppy, punjabi, etc.)
  • its kind of exotic so it has good hipster/anti-hipster joke potential
  • it kinda looks like a pokemon
  • taste unknown because literally no one has ever eaten it

:hmmyes:

'cool rabbi'? I'm in. I always thought it was a root thought, I didn't know it was a giant swollen stem.

frump truck

hello... again!

torte is fun to say, and it looks funny written, and it makes you feel a little like a guy with a monocle too. how about torte

frump truck

hello... again!

different direction: umeboshi. hey come have this nice plum, plums are good right. heheh meme's on you, friend!!!

Escape From Noise

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:hmmyes:

'cool rabbi'? I'm in. I always thought it was a root thought, I didn't know it was a giant swollen stem.

A rabbi that sits in a chair... backwards?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
The "If you wouldn't wear it for clothing then you shouldn't eat it" meme and like, fruit roll up leather outfits and cotton candy hats?

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

The Voice of Labor

ehhh....call rhabi

Escape From Noise

The Voice of Labor posted:

ehhh....call rhabi

Drink-Mix Man

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

We've got a saying in the meme food industry: "If it smells, it sells." Gotta go with smoked salmon on this one.

super sweet best pal

Let's bring back Welsh rarebit.

nut

The Voice of Labor posted:

ehhh....call rhabi

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
The new food is Medium Buffalo Boneless Wings

Finger Prince

Y'all are thinking too healthy. Part of the bacon thing was it's just really loving unhealthy and that's what raised its profile. Also it was an augment. You could put bacon on things, in things, around things.
With that in mind, I suggest:
Batter.
It's deep fried. You can coat anything in it and deep fry it. You can batter an avocado and deep fry it, a cut in half dead chicken, battered and deep fried.
You can even just sell deep fried batter bits, or add them as a side dish.
You can deep fry the batter in healthy-ish vegetable or nut oil, you could deep fry the batter in duck fat or beef tallow, or go dirty with the finest hydrogenated palm oil.

Batter. It's the new Bacon.
(also try our new battered bacon)

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

Y'all are thinking too healthy. Part of the bacon thing was it's just really loving unhealthy and that's what raised its profile. Also it was an augment. You could put bacon on things, in things, around things.
With that in mind, I suggest:
Batter.
It's deep fried. You can coat anything in it and deep fry it. You can batter an avocado and deep fry it, a cut in half dead chicken, battered and deep fried.
You can even just sell deep fried batter bits, or add them as a side dish.
You can deep fry the batter in healthy-ish vegetable or nut oil, you could deep fry the batter in duck fat or beef tallow, or go dirty with the finest hydrogenated palm oil.

Batter. It's the new Bacon.
(also try our new battered bacon)

How about something slightly more specific like pancake batter? It's also got it's own sort of flavor, and it's not like it actually works well with both sweet and savory, but people can act like it does. That way they can also customize it a bit and do like blueberry or chocolate chip pancake battered avocados or bacon or whatever!

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Finger Prince

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

How about something slightly more specific like pancake batter? It's also got it's own sort of flavor, and it's not like it actually works well with both sweet and savory, but people can act like it does. That way they can also customize it a bit and do like blueberry or chocolate chip pancake battered avocados or bacon or whatever!

Or go the other way, and customize tempura batter with chocolate chips and blueberries.
Blueberry battered prawns.
Chocolate chip batterered pumpkin.
Bacon bits tempura battered chocolate bars.

Khanstant

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think there's a few lessons we can take away from avocado that may help us in this discussion:

1) needs to look cute when you cut it open- Avacodos taste bad but look good in a picture because they are are pleasingly round and have nice contrast between pit/flesh/skin. I'm not sure a dead chicken cut in half has quite the same visual appeal, for instance. Hard boiled eggs??? Maybe. Coconuts? Olives?

2) Should be able to be spread on toast- toast is the hot new trend and I think we need to piggyback on that. avocado, despite being disgusting, was a big hit because you could spread it on toast, which influential millennial instagram influencers crave. our research show that the biggest trend in food and dieting in 2021 is going to be 'all-toast diets.' Looks like juice cleanses are 'toast'! Anyway, as above, a split in half dead chicken is not immediately spreadable on toast, so maybe not a great choice. Eggs might have some potential here? Not quite spreadable (although maybe in shell, sous-vide soft-scrambled could be? The INcredible, spreadable egg?? Just spitballin here) but they definitely have a breakfast and thus toast association that i think we could leverage. All your basic spreads (jelly, peanut butter, butter, nutella etc) are well and good, but I'm not sure they'll capture the aspirational imagination of today's foodie.

3)doesn't have to taste good-This is where avocado really excels. Nobody actually likes it and avocado sales were terrible before 2014. turns out removing 'tastes good' as a requirement opens up alot of options! Cut in half dead chicken actually really does well in this category, as do pickles.

oh my god what is this, you sound like someone from The North, not trying to b mean, just my uncle is avocados so i take it personally. tell me, can you even eat a jalapeno withotu freaking out?

Finger Prince

Khanstant posted:

oh my god what is this, you sound like someone from The North, not trying to b mean, just my uncle is avocados so i take it personally. tell me, can you even eat a jalapeno withotu freaking out?

Maybe the mutant cilantro tasting gene affects avocado taste too.

Escape From Noise

Dr. Robotnicks B Mean Machine

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Khanstant posted:

no i am from very deep in the south and jalapenos are fine i guess. I don't have a particular grudge against avocados aside from generally Do Not Care For, but they are masivelly overhyped in the food meme scene i think. Rgiht up there with oat milk and chia seeds and kimchi imo. Did not mean to offend your avocado uncle tho.

honestly batter is sounding very promising. I think there as an angle where we can sell it as a form of toast? 'toast that surrounds your food'?

Escape From Noise

I like avocados but I always ate them even as a kid. A lot of foods get way overhyped. I do love a good kimchi though. In college I used to get bags of it from the Korean grocery store in the next town over and make big ol' batches of kimchi stir fry. I'm sure my housemates hated me for the smell.

Escape From Noise

A Food As A Lifestyle

I'm thinking of getting people to just drink straight batter, like from one of those protein shake bottles. Slamming batter as they talk about how much they love batter.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

great potential synergy for a marketing campaign with major league baseball too

Finger Prince

A Food As A Lifestyle

I'm thinking of getting people to just drink straight batter, like from one of those protein shake bottles. Slamming batter as they talk about how much they love batter.

Now that could lend itself more toward pancake batter.

Escape From Noise

Beget Your Own Batter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile

Beget Your Own Batter