Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Hello, for some reason there have been a million posts lately about how Nothing Matters and the world is gently caress, so this is a dedicated thread to explore your nihilism and fantasies about living under Donald Trump Jr., God Emperor of the United States in in Year 14 of the Trump calendar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

:firstpost:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Goddamnit we're all gonna loving die and the world is going to literally burn to death gently caress poo poo piss.

There, got it out of my system.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

enough americans have died from coronavirus to fill 3 and a half NFL stadiums and people still refuse to wear masks and 47% of this country thinks its a hoax

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Doomed post in a doomed thread on a doomed subforum on a doomed forum on a doomed medium by a doomed member of a doomed species.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't think this thread will be a habit for me BUT Oregon is on fire and in the morning it looks like literal hellfire. Also all day. The sky is blood red in Salem and yellow color-graded to the extreme throughout the entire Willamette valley.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/cpitawanichkgw/status/1303417488814698496?s=21

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
For those of you not keeping up with the climate change thread, basically we get one of these every few days:

Something we didn't know was happening is happening, and it's bad.
Something we knew about is having a bigger impact than we thought it would, and it's bad.
Something we knew was going to happen in 20 years is actually happening today, and it's bad.

We are so far past hosed. Millions are going to be murdered at the borders of the global north by ecofacists.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

For those of you not keeping up with the climate change thread, basically we get one of these every few days:

Something we didn't know was happening is happening, and it's bad.
Something we knew about is having a bigger impact than we thought it would, and it's bad.
Something we knew was going to happen in 20 years is actually happening today, and it's bad.

We are so far past hosed. Millions are going to be murdered at the borders of the global north by ecofacists.

i legitimately feel that we are on a sinking ship and the best thing we can do is rearrange the shattered wreckage around us to live as comfortably as possible (and improve material conditions for the highest number of people) before the ship finally sinks, killing us all, within the next 75 years.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

It's just a stutter

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pick posted:

I don't think this thread will be a habit for me BUT Oregon is on fire and in the morning it looks like literal hellfire. Also all day. The sky is blood red in Salem and yellow color-graded to the extreme throughout the entire Willamette valley.

California's the same and the only reason my corner of the state doesn't have blood red skies is that the prevailing wind has blown the smoke from the local fire into Arizona.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Are you posting this thread because people were disagreeing with you in some other thread? Perhaps it would be more effective to either engage with those people's arguments, or contact a mod if you think they are breaking some rule, rather than posting a containment thread that your posting enemies will not post in anyway? Just my 2 cents

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Are you posting this thread because people were disagreeing with you in some other thread? Perhaps it would be more effective to either engage with those people's arguments, or contact a mod if you think they are breaking some rule, rather than posting a containment thread that your posting enemies will not post in anyway? Just my 2 cents

i'm posting this thread because as the election comes closer people are having increasingly long meltdowns in other threads about how we are doomed and nothing matters, so i would rather those people channel their fear and ennui here than elsewhere.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

i legitimately feel that we are on a sinking ship and the best thing we can do is rearrange the shattered wreckage around us to live as comfortably as possible (and improve material conditions for the highest number of people) before the ship finally sinks, killing us all, within the next 75 years.

Why? What's the point, if you think that the human race will literally go extinct? I mean wouldn't the sensible case be to spend the rest of your life advocating for as many people to commit suicide as possible, before committing suicide yourself?

How many more years do you think you have left? How much longer do you want to live?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DrSunshine posted:

Why? What's the point, if you think that the human race will literally go extinct? I mean wouldn't the sensible case be to spend the rest of your life advocating for as many people to commit suicide as possible, before committing suicide yourself?

...no? i'm inevitably going to die but that knowledge doesn't make me want to kill myself

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

DrSunshine posted:

How many more years do you think you have left? How much longer do you want to live?

Why? Telling other people* to kill themselves is hosed up.
*Nazis aren't people.

As for how much longer I want to live, why as long as possible. Quality of life here is pretty good all things considered.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

evilweasel posted:

...no? i'm inevitably going to die but that knowledge doesn't make me want to kill myself

:same:

I mean nobody here can reasonably expect to see 2300 roll around but we're all still here.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

yep - we all know that climate change is probably going to make the world significantly worse in several decades, but we can still enjoy the time we have left and try to advocate (and hope for!) a better future. people in the early 20th century believed that were on an ever rising, inevitable march of progress, and that war was extinct, and they were horribly, painfully, shockingly wrong. I could be wrong too!

i still wake up and enjoy playing with my dog, have fulfilling relationships with my loved ones, and do my part to make the world a better place. i go to work, contribute to society and try to make things better.

'on the beach' is a very appropriate novel.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My favorite thing about my cat and lizard is to them everything totally normal except I'm home more :buddy:

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Opening week of football and the Bills look solid. Will revisit whole suicide thing depending on whether Allen causes team to miss playoffs. But by that time PlayStation 5 will be coming out, so...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

evilweasel posted:

Because the death of the self is not isomorphic to the death of the species. Your actions and the things you accomplish in life can have beneficial, positive impacts on other people presently existing, and can continue to have positive impacts on future people who come to exist after them, long after your death. If you sincerely believe that the human race is going to go extinct imminently, and in a violent and agonizing way, then the greatest good to be done would be to prevent as many future generations from existing as can be done - to get as many people to die now, while things are not as hellish. I am fine with dying in 50 or 60 years as long as I know that the human race will continue to exist, and that lives will get better overall, in the long run, than worse. But if I were to be convinced that the human race will end before that time, or to continue onwards until the natural extinction period of biological species is reached while living in a hellish, debased state of agonizing suffering and nihilistic war of all against all, then my calculus changes significantly.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Hello friends don't give in to doom you don't have to choose between voting for the racist octogenarian rapist or the other racist octogenarian rapist neither will improve your or your families material circumstances.

Wall street has already bought and paid for the election but you can help the greens reach a a 5% threshold! https://howiehawkins.us/volunteer/

Are you concerned about environmental protection? Are you concerned about immigration reform? Are you concerned economic justice? Don't vote for Joe, you don't need to take my word for it hes already told you not to vote for him. Vote Green 2020 choose to believe in hope!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

KingNastidon posted:

Opening week of football and the Bills look solid. Will revisit whole suicide thing depending on whether Allen causes team to miss playoffs. But by that time PlayStation 5 will be coming out, so...

Can't miss the playoffs if the playoffs are cancelled.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

also this is not the thread to talk about suicide. if you are considering suicide please seek professional help.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

DrSunshine posted:

Because the death of the self is not isomorphic to the death of the species. Your actions and the things you accomplish in life can have beneficial, positive impacts on other people presently existing, and can continue to have positive impacts on future people who come to exist after them, long after your death. If you sincerely believe that the human race is going to go extinct imminently, and in a violent and agonizing way, then the greatest good to be done would be to prevent as many future generations from existing as can be done - to get as many people to die now, while things are not as hellish. I am fine with dying in 50 or 60 years as long as I know that the human race will continue to exist, and that lives will get better overall, in the long run, than worse. But if I were to be convinced that the human race will end before that time, or to continue onwards until the natural extinction period of biological species is reached while living in a hellish, debased state of agonizing suffering and nihilistic war of all against all, then my calculus changes significantly.

Antinatalism will always be the dumbest possible position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

this thread lasted 30 minutes before talking about suicide so i'm gonna close it. good try everyone.