Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
A few handfuls of popcorn, some prunes, swig, prunes, swig, popcorn, prunes, swig....mitch and match as you desire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Mix it up with some olives, or maybe a cucumber pickle

Pretend youre a mediterranean, looking over the agean sea

EDIT

Inverted Icon fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 14, 2021

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Incelshok Na posted:

Congee dude. It's simple, tasty, nourishing and can be doctored up in a billion ways. It's a bit of a pita if you don't have a rice/pressure cooker but if you do it's the easiest thing imaginable. Add some angry lady sauce and some Chinese vinegar and you are good to go.

Traditional congee is just boiled down (not even rinsed, as the starch is what traditionally gives the broth it’s viscosity) in like a 7-10:1 water/stock to rice ratio. When COVID broke out in March and lockdowns shut down restaurants and made a lot of private chef work pretty sketch, I worked in a hospital kitchen a few days a week for a couple of months and we crushed out 100# bags of rice for congee basically every other day in tilt skillet sized batches, it was nuts lol. If you’re new to congee and on a budget, this man speaks the truth. But don’t get discouraged, a rice maker is not needed! Just boil it down!

Seriously though, congee is so versatile, economical, healthy, and can be treated similar to ramen in the sense it can be tweaked into a billion different things between tares, condiments, oils/fat caps, broths, etc etc.

I generally prefer simple, comforting food anyways when I’m just cooking for myself. But that being said, when I’m depressed, or anxious (life long clinical anxiety struggler, checking in), or worried about something, I have a pretty consistent bench I pull from that’s kinda random and weird. But for whatever reason or mental/emotional associations I make with these, they all bring me tangible comfort when I need it.

In no particular order,

1. Tomato bisque - Whether from a box heated in the microwave and maybe add a little garlic powder and lemon or something, made from scratch, whatever. A mug of tomato bisque is a staple in my life and something I instantly crave when poo poo is hard, or I feel boxed in.

2. Rustic mashed potatoes. No fancy pommes purée of riced potatoes loaded with butter to the point they’re about to break :allears: Nope, just some boiled yukon golds or red potatoes, mashed with a fork or ladle or whatever in the pot, seared with garlic salt and finished with sour cream and butter. I literally lived off baked/boiled potatoes with minimal fat to add for years as a broke line cook. I just find mashed potatoes to be the epitome of reassuring.

3. Hard boiled eggs. With fresh cracked black pepper and garlic salt.

4. Sesame gimbap rice (I just treat it like sushi rice but season it with sesame oil and garlic salt (lol) instead of sushi vinegar with hoisin chicken thighs. I’ll make this and just sit in solitude and find so much comfort and peace from this. Mix up a little hoisin marinade or just cut it with ponzu to be lazy for the chicken that caramelizes up real nicely in the pan and slice up the cooked thighs over the sesame rice :boom:

5. The $6 whole frozen cheesecake from Trader Joe’s

6. Naked protein shakes, particularly the tan colored one with bananas and apples, etc. Been hooked on these things since Odwalla used to have the same flavor before Naked was a thing. Back in my heavy drinking days these things were a lifesaver too :v:

7. Cheap Chinese takeout. Super MSG loaded chow mein and fried rice with spring rolls and plum sauce dumped over them are loving awesome.

Edit:

8. loving dumplings. Of all kinds. Gyoza, potstickers, shumai, soup dumplings, bring ‘em all. I want all the dim sum haha.

tokyo reject fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 1, 2021

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes I just really don't feel like doing anything, like my motor cortex is a curmudgeon. The idea of touching a pan or a pot angers me, fills me with resentment. If I decided to bite the pain of putting water in a pot, my mind would be screaming at me, "this is so stupid and pointless, I hate this, I shouldn't do this," and if I manage to start it boiling, I might actually forget about it until there's barely an inch left. Even the microwave sometimes, is too upsetting to use, just the simple act of opening two doors (freezer/cabinet and microwave door) an unacceptable burden. Rice cooker? Ha, see you on the other end of Purgatory.

For these cases, all I can rely on is a stock of Quest bars, or Aussie Bites from Costco, or some other kind of dry-ready snack. I'm glad I ran into this thread because I've needed to re-up on pistachios for a while and had forgotten how often they solve my problems. The act of shelling helps wear down my excoriation drive so I don't take it out on my skin. But even though pistachios are green, I don't think of them as green vegetables. Frozen broccoli is probably the most reliable for that role, whether microwaved or in a smoothie. Costco has a big bag of individual microwave steam bags, and I greatly appreciate it.

I've been cooking chickpeas with some spices and garlic or onions based on this video and having that for breakfast, but this week I've been sick, and lost all will in the morning, barely enough to give myself cereal and take my dog outside and prepare his meal. Because I mix a little canned beef stew with his kibble, I wondered if there was a way to achieve the same flavor and texture for myself. So far, a sort of simple chickpea curry is the closest I've come to that. Those who do not occasionally fly into apoplexy at the idea of slapping stuff into a pan will probably benefit from this.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I don't know WHY I didn't do this before, but bulk made Tarka has been a game changer for me.

What is Tarka? It's that spice mix that one does when one is making Indian food. Generally, for me, it's mustard seed, cumin seed, urad daal or chana daal, hing (asafoetida), curry leaves, and sesame seeds. You can make drat near any Indian dish by starting with those basic spices, and adding whatever else it is you'd like to eat that day. The issue with cooking during the week, or during depression is that the Tarka is the messiest part. The mustard seeds pop, and fly all over the place. The oil also joins the mustard seeds, and coats everything in a mist of oil. It's really really annoying, and if you're in a deep horrible place, you'd rather just not eat than go through all that mess.

I figured it out by accident. I bought a pack of curry leaves at the store. I usually use about 1 stalk or so per recipe when I'm cooking. What this ends up doing is that it leaves me with curry leaves that will go off or dry out by the time I get to all 5 or 6 stalks of curry leaves. Considering that it costs me $1 for those 5 little stalks of curry leaves, I was getting increasingly annoyed. However, the taste that you get from adding fresh curry leaf cannot be replaced by anything else.

I heated up like a cup or so of oil. Added a couple tablespoons each of all my spices, and like a good heaping 1/2 teaspoon of hing. I used a mix of coconut oil and peanut oil to fry everything in. When the spices were done popping, I added the entire quantity of curry leaves. Now it takes me seconds to open a bag of frozen veggies, add a teaspoon or so of the pre-made Tarka to the top, and throw it in the microwave for a few minutes to get a really nice tasting side dish. Works with a tin of beans too. Also works with cooked rice, plus whatever addition I want, like coconut or lemon juice or whatever to make a quick rice dish.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I'm not doing the greatest job of eating well / feeding myself lately (read: I have been skipping lunch for various reasons) — is there anything wrong with drinking a pea-protein based protein shake for lunch to forestall getting hangry at 4:30pm and possibly loving up my dinner? is it a well-adjusted solution to the problem of "you need to eat something, idiot"? like an emergency ration?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

DasNeonLicht posted:

I'm not doing the greatest job of eating well / feeding myself lately (read: I have been skipping lunch for various reasons) — is there anything wrong with drinking a pea-protein based protein shake for lunch to forestall getting hangry at 4:30pm and possibly loving up my dinner? is it a well-adjusted solution to the problem of "you need to eat something, idiot"? like an emergency ration?
As long as you're not making a shake that's full of sugar you're good. I drink a pea protein and oatmeal shake for dinner all the time at work and I consider myself well adjusted. I see lots of people doing it, too.

Just remember to shake it really well before you drink it if you're making it ahead of time. One of the grossest things I've ever tasted was a pea protein shake that had settled.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

As I learned the hard way, if you're using one of the mixes with fiber in it, don't let it sit either. Mix it and drink it, or you'll have to chew it later. :D

Still, the vegan protien shake has been my go-to for getting home after 12 hour shifts and not having the brain left to make food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

DasNeonLicht posted:

I did exactly this for a while. I was either buying expensive and unhealthy lunches at work, or buying something sensible which I then didn't eat. Lunch was purely perfunctory. I got Huel just so that I'd have consumed something that was no real effort, was inoffensive, and staved off hunger for a bit longer, as you describe. I'd mix a portion then down it in one go. It was ... acceptable.