Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Groovelord Neato posted:

According to that thread the Rodney King incident is actually captured far in the background of the film but I have no clue if that's true.

Terminator 2 might be my favorite movie. A year or so back when they did the re-release in theatres I HAD to go. I was overjoyed being being able to finally see it on the big screen (was only 6 when the movie came out).

I don't think it was near the set but from what I recall it was happening when they were shooting the scene where he takes the motorcycle from the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Also, John Connor is wearing a Public Enemy t-shirt the whole movie.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

loved this image so much I thought we deserved a Special Edition of it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ1ZsXhLeWQ

Strong men also cry. Strong men also...cry.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3TRIZte94w

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Anyone ever think that T2 was his gently caress you to that whole controversy of him ripping off Harlan Ellison's Demon With A Glass Hand/Soldier?

Because T2 ended up being the more memorable film and all.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Anyone ever think that T2 was his gently caress you to that whole controversy of him ripping off Harlan Ellison's Demon With A Glass Hand/Soldier?

Because T2 ended up being the more memorable film and all.

It was just Soldier and not Demon With a Glass Hand. But having read Soldier and watched the Outer Limits episode based on it I can say that Ellison was full of poo poo. Basically Solider has a guy from a future war who gets sucked back into our time. That is the only thing it shares with Terminator. If a superficial thing like that counts as plagiarism then pretty much all fiction from the last 100 years is plagiarized.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah when I first heard about the settlement years back I figured it was a closer analogue as in one soldier is sent back in time to stop another that was previously sent back. But it's not like that at all.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah when I first heard about the settlement years back I figured it was a closer analogue as in one soldier is sent back in time to stop another that was previously sent back. But it's not like that at all.

Yeah for anyone who didn't read it/see the Outer Limits episode it's about a solider from the future who gets sucked back in time completely unintentionally and then ends up in a mental hospital with a bunch of incredulous doctors trying to communicate with him. If anything it's got more in common with 12 Monkeys and even that's mostly a stretch. Harlan Ellison was basically an angry lunatic who thought people were constantly trying to steal his ideas and was just suing everyone left and right. He was a good writer but he was also a gigantic rear end in a top hat, but that's unsurprising considering how misanthropic and nihilistic his work was. He once had this to say:

quote:

"If you put your hand in my pocket, you'll drag back six inches of bloody stump".

I can't recall if he ever said anything about it but Skynet is kind of like AM from I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 5, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CPL593H posted:

Harlan Ellison was basically an angry lunatic who thought people were constantly trying to steal his ideas and was just suing everyone left and right. He was a good writer but he was also a gigantic rear end in a top hat, but that's unsurprising considering how misanthropic and nihilistic his work was.
Tom Servo: They arrested Harlan Ellison!
Joel (with uncharacteristic vehemence): Good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/ilovejohnkimble/status/1313913389354287106?s=20

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I’ve never heard anybody claim he was naked. I’ve always heard he wore the loudest shorts possible (checks out) so that people’s gaze would naturally be drawn down.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He WAS nude in The Terminator though. We'll always have that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

He WAS nude in The Terminator though. We'll always have that.

Thanks to that film's commentary (maybe it was 2?), the phrase "digital winky removal" will forever be in my lexicon.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

CPL593H posted:

I went to a midnight screening of The Thing (in 35mm even!) about ten or twelve years back and the girl sitting behind us was tripping on acid. At the time it was infuriating but as a memory it's hilarious. So for your story and mine it's both.
This sounds *terrifying*.

I love the hell out of T2, but I'm more a fan of the original overall despite T2 clearly being so much better technologically. It perfectly parallels how I feel about Alien versus Aliens, actually: the latter is an amazing sci-fi action movie, but the former is a perfect sci-fi slasher film. Not to say that T2 or, God forbid, Aliens lacks tension or moments of horror, but it's definitely a different overall feel.

I have to admit, reading through this thread has provided some insight into the movie that went completely over my head decades ago when I last watched it -- the discussion regarding why the T-1000 took the form of an LAPD officer has just blown my mind, since of course suburban white kid me simply thought that a police officer was perfect because that's who people would trust! I'm going to have to do a rewatch.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

david_a posted:

I’ve never heard anybody claim he was naked. I’ve always heard he wore the loudest shorts possible (checks out) so that people’s gaze would naturally be drawn down.

"I'm going to throw up all over you."

"That's ok. On these shorts it wont show."

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

This movie rules and was my favorite growing up. (With only Demolition Man coming close)

I remember running with my fingers fully extended in gym class cause the T1000 did it and he was super fast.

AeroZ
Nov 9, 2016

It’s one of my favorite movies of all time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

T2 is one of my top three movies of all time and I’ve probably seen it more than any other movie. There’s just so much stuff I love

The way Arnold flip cocks the shotgun on the bike
When John goes by the camera in the background on his whiny motorbike and then the wheel of Arnold’s motorcycle dominates the frame sounding so much more menacing
Uncle Bob
I used to work at a van rental place and whenever someone would drive by another employee had to run out the door and chase them running like the T1000
The T1000 getting his head split apart by the shotgun
The music kicking in when the T1000 slorps down through the elevator roof and starts chasing them
Sarah beating up the orderly
The female guard elbowing Arnold in the face and breaking his glasses
T1000 going through the bars
Your foster parents are dead
The theme music
Arnold cutting his skin off and showing the Dysons his arm
Arnold shooting all the cops in the knees
Arnold with his mini gun shooting the cop cars
Dyson gasping as he dies
Get out
Arnold standing guard at the window and the sun coming up without him moving
Sarah’s nuke nightmare
Sarah’s thoughts about how the T800 is a better father to John than anyone else
The whole helicopter chase scene
Arnold’s tuck and roll off the tanker
The dry ice freeze and shatter scene
The things only the T1000 can do during their fight
How sad the t800 looks getting beat up
The finger wag
And of course the thumbs up

I’m sorry there’s something in my eye

There’s something in my heart

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Thumbs Up really entered pop culture, I feel like.

About 1 minute in (also I could only find the clip in Spanish)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EWfyVmd_5k

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

david_a posted:

The Thumbs Up really entered pop culture, I feel like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWYZ_eeASD0

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Was put in Dota during one of the seasonal events for the boss monster Roshan's death:

There's also a death animation for the playable Hero robot Clockwerk where he does the sinking thumbs up but I don't think it was even implemented in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The original Terminator and Terminator: Dark Fate are now included with Prime if anyone wants to check them out.