Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
hi all, due to circumstances many of u r now working from home for the first time

i have been working from home or whatever passes for it for the past two and a half years while i was travelling & ~*dating internationally*~ & living abroad if canada counts. i dont think i know much that u dont by now, we've all been at it for months. try to get a comfortable workstation set up in a place where you have enough peace & quiet to get things done

instead of tips & tricks id like to use the op to show some trends

more ppl than ever r working from home (as well as dying of rona)

& most like it a lot (bc xtreme social distance from coworkers)

& lots wish they could wfh forever (the avg commute is almost a half hour each way lol fuckk theyre stealing r lives even if they dont infect us)

since thats the case (listen to labor) id also like to encourage ppl to post about their wfh job searches. i understand a lot of ppl r looking & maybe looking together will spread solidarity. it wld be nice if all our pals could find safe employment until full communism or at least full vaccination

i also would love to talk abt terrible wfh pyramid schemes bc there r a lot of them, and just schemes in general that capitalists run in order to exploit your valuable labor thru internet work

e: tbh against the spirit of the thred to post this on a saturday morning when i should be enjoying my day off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
reserved

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

working from home or homely from working? haha just a little home office humor, by the way did you get that thing i sent ya

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

muted; no cam

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

!!IMPORTANT!! Policy handbook updates on video conferencing "backgrounds" *PLEASE READ*

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Daily Check in 9/12

Good morning, I am online now

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

executive reacting to vendor quotes and recommendations from it for a technology thats been in widespread reliable use for almost 2 decades: "zoom zoom"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
hello computer touchers :)

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
hello minrad and other ppl who posted itt :)

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
has anyone here been hired wfh after the pandemic started?

id love to hear more abt it

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
has anyones team brought in new hire wfh staff?

plz post and tell me what job & region

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
post thirdhand stories & facebook accounts of ppl getting their dream wfh job or any wfh job in a pandemic

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
its all a fucken lie & its way harder than u think to do wfh in a sustainable way

capital will pull it away before u ever get the prize, or as soon as u come to rely on the flexibility, & instead brand & package it for middle+ mgmt

wfh krew, the ppl posting wishes for wfh, it is a bill of goods

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
imo to do wfh long-term u either have to do it urself as a gig worker like i did, or roup together & come up w/something new

goon projects like that arent something im usually into, i think they usually end up like ddobies dog house

but comrades keep being fed into the meatgrinder & unemployed comrades r facing up to the fact they need to b e essential or get by on unemployment

so what do we do? my contract is up atr the end of the month & soon enough i will be out of the techbro wfh boat & into the panic wfh boat

well for me i will pledge material support to anyone who employs wfh goons

is there an appetite for more? how do u feel? u keep posting 'wish i was wfh' and it keep killing me that u think wfh is gonna be along term thing, nobody is expanding it, if u want it u gotta make it imho & ime

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

wfh allows me to be high nearly every waking moment

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
lol not eeveryone can manage a functional high

in the next 3 weeks i will assemble a list of things i have to do in order to contiue wfh despite a pandemic & work down it, that includes market research & billing decisions, in my case opening a bank acct and filing paperwork bc i do not want to continue as 1040-tier. i am lucky enough to already have experience w/software i can make profitable, i have a local & global market etc

i will do it bc i know when i am done w/the checklist i will have taken material steps toward accomplishing my goal of getting another job where i can be high & in sweats all day thank u v much

ill post abt that maybe

i just want to put the writing on the wall. wfh is fleeting, enjoy while u can. there is 0 expansion taking place rn into wfh, it is a holding tactic

if u want to wfh as a gig worker, it is almost certain ur bein taken advantage of willingly or not

if u happen to read this & r in a position to employ & not just exploit wfh goons & u have questions about ur app i will listen politely & explain cloud services even down to infrastructure best practices, assets and cost projections suitable for a Serious Meeting

if not i will buy ur thing

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

https://twitter.com/roaringsoftly/status/1300641433314000896

I'm the wet hair bun that never dries

B B
Dec 1, 2005

FormaldehydeSon posted:

:same:

I am taking a t-break now (from THC, at least; still enjoying CBD before bed) ahead of my week off at a cabin next month. :)

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

thank u for moderating my nervous breakdown crusty nutsack

i will continue to post my wfh experiences if there is chitchat itt

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

i wfh

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

seattle plague rat posted:

thank u for moderating my nervous breakdown crusty nutsack

i will continue to post my wfh experiences if there is chitchat itt

I've worked from home for many years doing the gig thing so I feel this thread in my bones

I'm a homebody though so it rocks I think

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
its nice to see another pre-pandemic wfh comrade

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

hi, i'm the-saur-us

this is i w f h

i
double you eff ache
i wofoho high
wofoho via wifi
my my
itsi bitsi tipsy jitsi
furloughed cuomo'd cobra unemployment code
wafflehouse vindaloo wolololo deliveroo
uber eats google meets meat beating cant unseeing
yolo
corona
co roh no
and then u
die
*beatnik snaps*

wow, thanks for that. don't forget to drop by thesaurus' going away zoom on friday, which is right after the zoom happy hour. ok our next talent this team building tuesday is going to be kelly from development who's been using the lockdown to learn how to meditate. please remember to mute your microphones

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ok here's my work from home tip:

loving ignore all those people that are saying you need to keep a rigid schedule and wear "work clothes" in order to be a productive person.

the world is literally burning around us and poo poo it nuts and if waking up 20 minutes after you're supposed to start working and never getting out of your pajamas makes your day just a little bit better, than you loving do that. there's a lot of wfh habit shaming and it's stupid and counterproductive. get through your work day however the gently caress you can, and good for you when you do it.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Breakfast All Day posted:

hi, i'm the-saur-us

this is i w f h

i
double you eff ache
i wofoho high
wofoho via wifi
my my
itsi bitsi tipsy jitsi
furloughed cuomo'd cobra unemployment code
wafflehouse vindaloo wolololo deliveroo
uber eats google meets meat beating cant unseeing
yolo
corona
co roh no
and then u
die
*beatnik snaps*

wow, thanks for that. don't forget to drop by thesaurus' going away zoom on friday, which is right after the zoom happy hour. ok our next talent this team building tuesday is going to be kelly from development who's been using the lockdown to learn how to meditate. please remember to mute your microphones

:hai:

now back to work (from home)!

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

logged in

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

"i'm in" - me every morning, after connected to the vpn while clubbed to death is playing

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
all systems go

im side hustling PII breaches by scanning public buckets for .sql dumps and then processng them for VIN nuumbers. i notify the hits, they fix their bucket, and some lovely vpn sales website pays for the disclosure so they can ppretend to have discovered it themselves

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
My productivity has apparently gone up due to working from home but I basically spend most of the day posting and usually will just lay on the couch watching YouTube videos after I eat lunch at 11am

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Today we are having a hackathon while everybody is working from home and pretending it was never just an excuse to eat pizza and gently caress around at the office with your work buddies

bashosanchez
Feb 19, 2008
Hell yeah, time to log in and respond to 3 emails before I go back to sleep for a few hours

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

due to wfh conditions we are reimagining this falls scheduled hackathon as a whackathon. prizes will still be awarded

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
post a pic of the trophy

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

bashosanchez posted:

Hell yeah, time to log in and respond to 3 emails before I go back to sleep for a few hours

a month of this and then a month of ten hour days where what used to be my home becomes a nightmarish hellscape of data entry doing work for people who make twice your salary with twice the benefits.

my immediate supervisor has taken two weeks vacation (beach house and mountains) and is now taking another week and was like "i just really need an actual vacation!" meanwhile i haven't taken more than two days off consecutively, and those were for painful medical procedures, since i started.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Lol one of my many bosses fought tooth and nail to get us back in the office to promote team building during a loving pandemic. Thankfully somebody above him must have said no thats dumb, so I will continue to work from the kitchen.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

FormaldehydeSon posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

seattle plague rat posted:

all systems go

im side hustling PII breaches by scanning public buckets for .sql dumps and then processng them for VIN nuumbers. i notify the hits, they fix their bucket, and some lovely vpn sales website pays for the disclosure so they can ppretend to have discovered it themselves

my sql dump scanning paid off i grabbed one bingo for the day & made an extra $250 gross. i also ruined stacie's day at friendemic which is like lol change ur company name

it is not sustainable & i can dip in & out whenever the search engine i use reindexes, which is like quarterly, but at a certain point i run out of stuff to look thru & get diminishing returns

the usual cert path to do this as a full time wfh job is OSCP by offensive security, it is uhhh not cheap but tbf not even the most overpriced infosec cert. most ppl can self-fund w/some grinding by hunting for bugs or working with tech sites like i do. imo its a decent gig as far as gigs go, its just not entry lvl bc u already need some sort of programming or admin skillset altho its possible to start from scratch

that cert is probs only useful for in-person jobs in major metros but it is one of the hotter ones imo

if anyone is interested in getting a hands on look email me for grayhatwarfare login & im willing to talk about it itt

e: i do this enough i hacked together a scanner & told a regex i want VIN numbers, u can make money by just manually looking thru databases if desired but the real motivating factor behind OSCP is learning toolbuilding

seattle plague rat has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Sep 15, 2020