Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

speaking of gary sues I’ve been watching white collar, it’s reasonably entertaining in a dumb formula network show way but the lead is basically a crime elemental who, despite being in his early 30s, is a master forger, art thief, impersonator, bomb defuser, pickpocket, heist planner, gambler, wine faker, basically anything except fighting and guns that they need in that episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/timessqkungfu/status/1783628512403886441
:hmmyes:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

qirex posted:

speaking of gary sues I’ve been watching white collar, it’s reasonably entertaining in a dumb formula network show way but the lead is basically a crime elemental who, despite being in his early 30s, is a master forger, art thief, impersonator, bomb defuser, pickpocket, heist planner, gambler, wine faker, basically anything except fighting and guns that they need in that episode

the kid from "catch me if you can" did it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

qirex posted:

that's from the same era of usa that brought us psych

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

man i tried to re-watch that recently and i do not remember the main characters being such creeps. they’re constantly being extremely problematic with women and outright harassing some of the characters/extras

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

indigi posted:

well it's certainly not narrative but given the entire book is applying real-world research to a series of suppositions I think it qualifies as sci fi. I might take a crack at it this weekend

i started reading it last night

there's not a ton that i didn't know already so far but it's laid out in like a real-life narrative of how it all goes down and it's terrifying. i love it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Eeyo posted:

man i tried to re-watch that recently and i do not remember the main characters being such creeps. they’re constantly being extremely problematic with women and outright harassing some of the characters/extras

which one is "that" (i mean theyre all creeps, just like wht degree is it here, 80s vs 90s vs etc)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

sorry, i’m talking about psych.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Eeyo posted:

sorry, i’m talking about psych.

lol ok, im still watching sugar and ive decided that his mental illness is acceptable, and useful. like rust from true detective. if there is no social support system, weirdos become it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Dragons Forever is super fun, with Jackie, Sammo, and Yuen all playing against type, which works well. Wah Yuan is also perfect as the sleazy factory owner bad guy. lots of great fight setups throughout, with all 3 leads taking part. I'd say my only beef is some weirdly out of place slo-mo cuts during the final big fight. I'd put it up there for classic Jackie & co. action.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/ballislife/status/1783567202681041199?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

should’ve just had animated master shake as sterling

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

looks like good acting but i dont understand the idea of watching a biopic

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/gmanofmysteroid/status/1783717506890240501?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"it's about five times dumber than I thought it would be and I was forced to cheer up" should go on the posters

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Caught the second ep of The Sympathizer and lmao at RDJ's 70's camp racist weeb professor role; it feels like he's too much of a star for the director to corral him here.

Gotta be said both roles he's played in the show so far have been about as far from the debonair, smooth Tony Stark as it's possible to get, though.

Also up to date with Sugar, the mysteries are progressing apace and I'm glad Failson Davey finally did something right with his life.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 26, 2024

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i have also finished watching fallout. i did not like it as much as it seems like a bunch of people in here did - it relies pretty heavily on cliche. watchable, not terrible, but i can't say i'd recommend it to someone who hasn't played and really liked the games

oof. if you're going to have a movie that's 80% gun action, you're going to need squibs, or at least far better cg than this

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

they are right, it is a fun, dumb movie

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Truman Peyote posted:

oof. if you're going to have a movie that's 80% gun action, you're going to need squibs, or at least far better cg than this

I was thinking that too. if I could make one nearly-inconsequential law it would be that any time a bullet or similar projectile's impact is shown in a movie or tv show there has to be a corresponding squib and CG's only legal use case would be for minor embellishments in such shots. also, lasers/phasers/any sci fi bullshit workaround counts as bullets.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/fedalvar/status/1783886270588219436

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
way cool
https://twitter.com/papapishu/status/1783889444073771106

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

practical effects ftw

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

well this is another rabbit hole

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it's funny because I was thinking that capture card in the G4 was p. deece, but these folks are like capturing the raw RF signal off the tapeheads/laser board and manipulating that. next level insanity. I love it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

it's funny because I was thinking that capture card in the G4 was p. deece, but these folks are like capturing the raw RF signal off the tapeheads/laser board and manipulating that. next level insanity. I love it.

i knew about the domesday86 thing because of an earlier post about it, it makes perfect sense that it's since been adapted to other formats, and obviously mag tape is just ideal. the move to the CX cards for capture is big though, last i saw domesday86 only worked with the build-it-yourself kit. it looks like the barrier to entry is low enough i might grab a couple of those cards just to have the option.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fallout BTS shot on film / transparency :eyepop:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

neat

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
neat!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
those first two are gorgeous looking. the others are neat too but a bit duller composition imo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cannonfilmguide/status/1783953335004922010

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Fallout BTS shot on film / transparency :eyepop:

that's real fuckin' neato

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

if you zoom in on the last one you can see goggins nose

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Fool posted:

well yeah, he relaxes between takes

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Fool posted:

they did a nice job building his ghoul face and keeping it relatively flat for removal. he doesn't have a pointy honker, so that helps, but the practical before shot looks real good

those are also really neat to see how much is on-set real in the shots. and that fluffy puppy :3:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
got off work a bit early and decided to watch the Lucky Stars trilogy (Winner & Sinners, Oh My Lucky Stars, Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars).

the first is, again, a classic, although you have to remember going into these that they're comedies first and kung fu movies second. Oh My is a bit of diminishing returns, you could watch the first and last 30 mins without missing a whole lot. the third is definitely worth catching, as it makes up for the second with more consistently present fight sequences, and is a bit shorter, and you get Michelle Yoeh in the bargain.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Agile Vector posted:

they did a nice job building his ghoul face and keeping it relatively flat for removal. he doesn't have a pointy honker, so that helps, but the practical before shot looks real good

from some of the other BTS stuff his ghoul face was nearly all practical, I'm guessing the green nose was last.

some of his closeups might have had more CG for wrinkles round the eyes etc.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i thought it looked great except it didn’t really look like him because his face was wider instead of sunken