Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
honestly i really did like the full screen start menu, but everything else was trash. i feel like xp wasn’t great until sp1 (yesss wzc) but that was a long time ago

my stepdads beer posted:

the best bit was they ported the insane full screen start menu to their server product too

windows server 2021 will entirely replace the command line with an innovative new point and click gui

it’s the most revolutionary windows we’ve ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

r u ready to WALK posted:

The bad part of Windows 8.0 wasn’t the new start menu, it was the idiotic hidden “charms” bar that you swiped in from the right being the only place to log out or shut down. I think you had to hold the mouse cursor on a single pixel in the bottom right edge to bring it up on desktop and god help you if you had multiple displays with the main desktop on the left.

People literally couldn’t figure out how to turn off their computer.

It’s the main thing they fixed in 8.1

I think I've complained before but I got to use some CAD software that shotgunned buttons all around the window on Win 8, and the cluster gently caress of trying to use buttons on the RH edge without triggering the charms bar had me ready to start throwing fucks around in about 5 mins flat.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

mediaphage posted:

honestly i really did like the full screen start menu,

my dude have you ever considered linux on the desktop? I think you’d love gnome3

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Soricidus posted:

my dude have you ever considered linux on the desktop? I think you’d love gnome3

Self-harm requests prohibited in YOSPOS!

:mad:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

friends don't let friends use linux

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Schadenboner posted:

Self-harm requests prohibited in YOSPOS!

:mad:

they were literally advocating using windows 8 gui design. this is the one situation where suggesting gnome3 is harm reduction

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Soricidus posted:

they were literally advocating using windows 8 gui design. this is the one situation where suggesting gnome3 is harm reduction

I take your point.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
xp86

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Why doesn't winkey+arrows tile vertically on my portrait monitor. It'll do a quarter of the screen and then I have to drag it across. Awful

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SpaceAceJase posted:

Why doesn't winkey+arrows tile vertically on my portrait monitor. It'll do a quarter of the screen and then I have to drag it across. Awful

i'd bet no one on the windows desktop team uses or knows anyone who uses a portrait monitor

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

SpaceAceJase posted:

install https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys and set up fancyzones

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Soricidus posted:

i made it a personal policy not to install linux on any system that has a discrete gpu to save myself frustration. to be clear, i only liked the start menu, all the other swiping bullshit was terrible (i’m not defending this, it’s like enjoying fluffernutter sandwiches)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
then just cover your desktop with useless garbage icons and pretend it's your start menu

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

then just cover your desktop with useless garbage icons and pretend it's your start menu

gross, who allows icons on the desktop

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I can still remember watching the build event where windows 8 was announced and thinking "what?"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mediaphage posted:

gross, who allows icons on the desktop

idiots who like full screen start menus

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

idiots who like full screen start menus

never