Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sheen Sheen posted:

I don’t necessarily disagree about Sean McDermott but this is absolute horseshit.

Marrone's final season (9-7) and Ryan (8-8, 7-9) averaged 8 wins. McDermott is averaging 9 wins a season so far, but granted he looks like he has the Bills good for 12+ this season.

Prior to that the Bills hadn't had more than 7 wins in a season since 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I’m not disputing how many games the Bills won over the past seven seasons, I’m disputing the ludicrous idea that Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan have anything to do with Sean McDermott and the Bills’ current success

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Sheen Sheen posted:

I’m not disputing how many games the Bills won over the past seven seasons, I’m disputing the ludicrous idea that Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan have anything to do with Sean McDermott and the Bills’ current success

McDermott's main appeal is he got a GM who worked together with him and they both tore the team down to the studs. They sent all the Rex/Marrone players except maybe Kyle Williams to Dead cap island and signed a shittload of Panthers as Free Agents who were 'meh', but lucked out on a lot of other acquisitions and draft picks because the GM turned out to be pretty formidable.

McDermott needs more experience as a head coach when it comes to decision making and game management, but he is very impressive in completely rebuilding a team in three years to what it is now.

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 6, 2020

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

wandler20 posted:

Guys, Watson isn't going anywhere. His cap # is $67m next year and $51m in 2022.

the dead money is including bonuses and guarantees, if they trade him the bonuses accelerate for the texans and are normal for the other team, maybe without the bonuses idk specifically.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

pasaluki posted:

McDermott's main appeal is he got a GM who knew what he was doing and they both tore the team down to the studs. They sent all the Rex/Marrone players except maybe Kyle Williams to Dead cap island and signed a shittload of Panthers as Free Agents who were 'meh', but lucked out on a lot of other acquisitions and draft picks.

Exactly, there was an astonishing amount of turnover in McDermott’s first year, and off the top of my head the only player I can think of who was on the team prior to the McBeane era is Jerry Hughes. McDermott wasn’t riding a wave of success from his predecessors a la Barry Switzer

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Transforming *Josh Allen* into the player he appears to be today is absolutely one of the most astounding coaching feats of the last decade, though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

fsif posted:

Transforming *Josh Allen* into the player he appears to be today is absolutely one of the most astounding coaching feats of the last decade, though.

Yeah. Motherfucker is proving math wrong :saddowns:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Romeo Crennel is now the oldest head coach in NFL history, at 73.

One of the funniest bits from the dear departed SAS wiki was that at the bottom of his page, under categories, someone put "Bucket Theft Is A Crime"

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
3 years ago we were laughing our asses off at

https://twitter.com/BuffaloBills/status/849282456318603265?s=20

McDermott owns and is well on his way to being an upper end coach.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

That actually looks really cool. I wouldn't model my home that way but it'd be a cool place to hang out.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Ches Neckbeard posted:

3 years ago we were laughing our asses off at

https://twitter.com/BuffaloBills/status/849282456318603265?s=20

McDermott owns and is well on his way to being an upper end coach.

I'm still laughing.

Good coach though.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

fsif posted:

All the more astounding is the Bills have no history of developing QBs, and far from being a QB guru, McDermott is pretty poo poo at offense and started Nathan "Football Hitler" Peterman and it ended in a cataclysm. Then Peterman the next year wins the starting job out of training camp and starts over Josh Allen.

Brian Daboll apparently found the Philosopher's Stone and used it on Allen.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kalli posted:

I mean... is he?

With an absolute HoF QB he was able to run dominant offenses... some times. Has had tons of trouble on the defensive side of the ball most years. I don't think he's as consistent as any of the tier 2 guys

He took over an absolutely garbage, Browns level bad franchise and turned them into a regular contender. Brees wasn’t Brees before he hooked up with Payton. Carroll has spent the last few years crippling his future HoF QB with terrible offenses and putting together mediocre defenses but he’s still a great coach when you look at who he’s up against.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Gatts posted:

What are the consensus around head coaches? Bill B and Andy Reid tops? I’ve been reading Andy’s history and drat his record is pretty great

Bill B, Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin, Sean Peyton.

Bill B is obvious. Arguably the GOAT. Probably not even arguably tbh.

Andy - 14 double digit wins out of 22 season. Liftime winning percentage in playoffs (15-14). 1-1 in superbowls. His offenses ranked in the top 10 an absurd 14 years out of the 22 he was a coach . His defenses also ranked in the top 10 13 out of the 22 years he was a coach. Astounding.

Mike Tomlin, winning percentage in playoffs (8-7), superbowl win, 8 out of 14 seasons had double digit wins. His defense finished 8 out of 14 season in top 10, his offenses 6 out of 14. Just incredibly sound football teams for the most part his 14 years in pittsburg.

Sean peyton has literally never coached an offense that wasn't better than league average. His worst offense ever finished 12th (2007 New Orleans). That's astonishing. Like Mike Tomlin 8 out of 14 double digit win season and 8-7 in the playofs + superbowl win.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
After last season I'm convinced Tomlin is HoF worthy. He was loving robbed for COTY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Week 5 is up.