Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Problem description: My partner's laptop has an issue with its wifi, but only when they try to connect to one of the MMOs they play. Specifically Guild Wars 2, Genshin Impact, and Eve Online all fail to connect whenever they use their Wi-Fi. The wif-fi in the rest of the house works fine, everyone elses devices are running smoothly, and I can connect to any of those games on my own devices. They can access the internet fine, use Discord, Steam, Netflix and basically everything else perfectly, but gets connection failed errors on these games. When they are on a wired connection, the games work flawlessly. It seems like the wifi still fails to connect to things when using the xfinity hotspot but that thing is a piece of poo poo so who knows.

One perhaps important piece of this - this same issue began happening to their previous laptop. I have looked and I don't THINK there's any apps they installed that would cause this specific band of wifi problems, but I can't rule out that my partner just emits an aura of Bad Wi Fi vibes that kills any Fun Packets headed to the machine. One theory I saw online when I checked is that the power cable being plugged in causes interference. Unplugging it has mixed results, and I can't firmly say it helps or doesn't, but it kinda seems to a little

Attempted fixes: All the basic steps - reinstalled drivers, restarted, winsock reset, turned off power management, etc. Restarted my router, which is maybe 2 feet from the device and did whatever refreshes and resets the internet tells you to do there. Tried alternative wifi hotspots but no dice.

Recent changes: None that I can think of. The issue wasn't here when they first got the laptop, but developed over time and got progressively worse until now where logging on to any of these games is impossible.

--

Operating system:Win10, 64bit.

System specs: MSI GF63 Thin. Has a Intel AC 9560 in it.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Your router might have some kind of fancy dual band pairing mode on it, something that merges the 2.4 and 5ghz spectrums.

These modes suck, and often don't work; they can often work worse on a low tick rate type of online game like an MMO. I'd see if that's the case, and try to disable it on both devices.

If there's any KillerNIC software loaded on it by any chance, disable every last "optimization" it has they're all garbage.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 7, 2020