Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Space Haven is set in the modern day far future where the Earth has been mostly abandoned due to ecological and economic collapse. Developed by three guys and is current in early access, it's already surprisingly compelling as my hours and hours of Steam playtime will attest.

Put simply, it's a tile-based isometric spaceship builder and sim with a heavy focus on survival. Currently, there are only two starts: You begin with a small box of a ship but no means of leaving the system until you build a hyperdrive, or a much easier start intended for people who've played a couple of games where you begin on a fully-equipped space station and can build the ship of your dreams.

But what do you actually do?

Mostly, you run out of food and end up desperately scarfing down human meat you discover on derelicts or alien bug meat, provided you don't run out of Energium first. Warp into a system with Micrometeoroids and wonder why your ship suddenly has more holes than swiss cheese and blows up before you can warp out. Get blown up by pirates before you can warp out of the system. Waste your Hyperfuel and find yourself stranded and desperate over a picked-clean planetary orbit, awaiting a neutral ship to warp in who you might be able to trade something - anything - for some precious warp fuel. Or...

If your ship has gun turrets and the crew to back it up, you could open fire and blow up an enemy ship. Or force their surrender and take tribute. Then blow them up anyway. Ships don't become completely obliterated when destroyed, and this counts for you too. A ship that is destroyed will explode, but leave behind a carcass that may have much of its inner workings intact. This means that even if you get exploded up, provided your assailant doesn't land a boarding party and take captives and provided your mining pods are intact, you could repair your hull breaches and slowly, agonisingly put your ship back together. All of this assumes your crew survives the initial explosion of course.

Sounds neat! What about running my ship, which will of course be called Firefly, or Enterprise or...

First, no. Second, you need to take care of your wee humans!

The game has an Oxygen Not Included style gas and temperature system. Building oxygen generators will fill your ship with breathable air. Temperature controllers warm it up and then maintain the temperature at comfortable levels. Get a hull breach? Watch out, all that air will rush out, potentially damaging everything caught in the sudden vacuum. Seal off your vents to contain the breach! Design your ship to help compartmentalise potentially dangerous and fire-prone machines and ensure sufficient temp controllers in case those Recyclers or Fabricators start running a little hot.

Fire on board? Tackle it quickly, or your ship will quickly fill with toxic smoke and heat up to lethal levels!

Finally, there is (allegedly) a disease system where crew members may catch the alien lurgie. Either build medibeds and have your doctor treat them, or you can freeze them in a cryotube until you have the means to save them.

Each crewmember has Rimworld style skills that determine their skill or even basic ability to perform certain tasks. Mining, Botany, construction, gunnery, shields, navigation etc. Try not to assign crew who don't know a potato from their elbow to Botany or your food supplies might end up failing or growing really slowly. A poorly-skilled constructor might screw up pulling apart a piece of equipment during salvaging operations and ruin the valuable scrap. And of course, a coward with low accuracy might end up making things worse when you're exterminating bugs on derelict. Speaking of which...

But what about the Space Hulks?

One of the main ways you get resources in this game, other than mining, is from derelicts:

Insert Sunshines' creepy distress signal here

You see, while you can manufacture all of the critical components you require to build the ship of your dreams, the machines involved are expensive, space-consuming, require a shitload of energy, take a lot of crew to keep supplied and to work and are generally a big hassle unless you have a decent sized crew and are already quite rich. This is where derelicts come in.

Derelicts start out as destroyed ships in certain systems that are unexplored. To explore them, you need to draft some crew, make sure they have weapons, send them to a shuttle and then dock the shuttle with the derelict. Once on board, you need to, uh, "evict" any current occupants. With shotguns.

The further you progress along the chain of star systems, the more dangerous these infestations become. You start off killing a few bugs who can be dangerous to an unprepared crew or if your away team is too small and ill-equipped but eventually... well...

However, once the bugs are gone, now comes the tedious fun part. Whatever is on the ship is yours. This doesn't just include any cargo or items lying about (and bug meat and corpses count as cargo, either for a particularly hungry crew or for composting into water and fertiliser), it includes the actual fittings, machinery and furniture. The warp engines, generator and any consoles or computers are particularly juicy and can give you precious energy rods. Everything else becomes scrap that can be (eventually) recycled into usable building materials.

Some derelicts can actually be claimed into your fleet! There's no real rhyme or reason why one derelict can but another can't, but the system icon will tell you which is which. If you don't have the materials to build another ship for your fleet from scratch, claiming a derelict and bringing it online can save you a lot of resources. Just make sure you have the materials to make it warp-worthy or you can't bring it with you!

Building a ship!

Okay, building ships is a big part of the game as you might expect and it can be both a massive pain in the arse and very rewarding.

All ships require a few basics: A generator for power, hyperdrive engines to jump, a hull stabliser (which provides your ship with a health bar) and a navigation station so your navigator can plot jumps. Also, shuttle bays and pod bays are a very good idea if you plan to board other ships, trade, mine or enlarge your ship.

One thing to note: There are no plans for multi-level ships and everyone who assk the devs typically gets told the same answer: Nope. Which is fair enough, as trying to keep your crew wrangled and productive on just one level is difficult enough.

While shields and turrets are not required, eventually you are almost certainly going to at least want shields. They're expensiveto build, require a lot of power and energy cells to upkeep and will need someone actively manning the shield console to regenerate it but it's your only defense other than your hull, and you don't want micrometeroids impacting your hull. Ever.

Once you have a ship, gather enough materials, crew and/or find a claimable derelict, you can expand your fleet to include multiple ships. Build a dedicated warship, hydroponics ship, a prison ship or a factory ship!

Any issues?

Being in early access and developed by like 3 guys, be aware that updates will almost certainly be slow to arrive.

In addition, wrangling your crew can be pretty frustrating. Unlike Rimworld, where one character would take responsibility for collecting the needed materials, then using them and repeating for as long as they want to do their task, industry in Space Haven can be a chore. First, someone needs to deposit the needed materials at the relevant machine, which is a Logistics job. That person will almost never man the machine and actually produce the item themselves, as its a different skill (Industry) which the hauler may not even possess. Typically, a different crewmember on the other side of the ship will decide to actually complete the manufacturing task which can leave you waiting goddamn ages for things to happen, especially if you're trying to do multiple things at once, like mine, salvage or even simply keep your grow beds ticking over.

Combat and moving your crew around when boarding or fighting is pretty bare bones too. While I personally appreciate the almost classic XCom art style and character screens and simplicity of commanding your away teams, please don't go into this expecting complex combat mechanics.

Where can I get this game? :homebrew:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/979110/Space_Haven/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I like this game a lot, I sunk 30 hours into it a month or so ago before I burned through all the content and am now just waiting for more. The downside of it is that it's practically identical to Rimworld's Save our Ship mod, but the upside is that it requires a lot less micromanagement to play.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Arven posted:

I like this game a lot, I sunk 30 hours into it a month or so ago before I burned through all the content and am now just waiting for more. The downside of it is that it's practically identical to Rimworld's Save our Ship mod, but the upside is that it requires a lot less micromanagement to play.

I can't believe I've never heard of this mod. Thanks, thats another week where I'm not getting anything done!

Apparently they're bringing in research mechanics soon (October-ish). I'm hoping they expand the disease and medical system too as it feels sorely underdeveloped just now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I picked this up and had a good time but I was scraping the bottom edge of food, and it isn't clear to me how I get new crew. That said I was loving around in the tutorial zone and basically just got to now, when I am too tired to game any harder, before managing a hyperspace jump.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Nessus posted:

I picked this up and had a good time but I was scraping the bottom edge of food, and it isn't clear to me how I get new crew. That said I was loving around in the tutorial zone and basically just got to now, when I am too tired to game any harder, before managing a hyperspace jump.

This is one of the things I and a few others asked the devs for, which is better info graphics on consumption of resources so it’s easier to spot when you are not replenishing things fast enough. For a crew of six, I’d say four large grow beds should be enough, although meat is difficult to make a surplus of unless you go crazy and devote a room of growbeds for it. If you want to slowly build a food surplus, five will typically do. You need water and fertiliser which you can get from ice and chemicals respectively.

As for crew, there are only two ways just now: you either find cryotubes containing survivors on derelicts which isn’t guaranteed and also if you do find one, the occupant might be already dead, or you can convince prisoners to join which is difficult and very time consuming and imo not really worth it. An individual prisoner can be sold back to their faction for a really hefty price, so if you capture a whole crew of them, then you can make bank, which makes piracy a pretty lucrative option if you can rustle up the turrets and shields.

Also, protip: unless you are absolutely desperate for water, never build more than one water collector. For some reason, they burn through energy more than any other machine in the entire game. I noticed the water vapour in my ship was really high so I build a couple more collectors to exploit it and ended up shutting literally my entire ship down. A large and a small generator running in tandem wasn’t enough for three collectors (plus everything else but jeez).

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Ran into 2 problems so far that I didn't know how to deal with.

For some reason my meat plants keep dying but I don't know why. None of the other plants seem to have problems but every so often I get a message that the meat died.

I accidentally sealed one of the crew into an airless and unheated closed off section of the ship when I was making separate rooms for things. Right then everyone went to bed and the trapped crew person also decided to sleep on the floor. I couldn't figure out how to get the wall removed any quicker and had to wait through the night and for them to have morning coffee, breakfast, and conversation before then finally decided to come free their crewmate who by that point was half dead from low oxygen and exposure.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

oh poo poo. it's the Space Hulk games but from the perspective of random scavengers?

is the combat xcom-y? those screenshots give me major UFO Defense vibes

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Depends posted:

Ran into 2 problems so far that I didn't know how to deal with.

For some reason my meat plants keep dying but I don't know why. None of the other plants seem to have problems but every so often I get a message that the meat died.

I accidentally sealed one of the crew into an airless and unheated closed off section of the ship when I was making separate rooms for things. Right then everyone went to bed and the trapped crew person also decided to sleep on the floor. I couldn't figure out how to get the wall removed any quicker and had to wait through the night and for them to have morning coffee, breakfast, and conversation before then finally decided to come free their crewmate who by that point was half dead from low oxygen and exposure.

It's hard to say, but it's likely meat plants died for any of the following: Not enough CO2, water, fertiliser, the grow beds losing power for longer than a few seconds. You can use the overlays ('R') to check things like how much CO2 there is and the temperature. Generally, it's a good idea to keep grow beds in its own room, with a CO2 producer, water collector and a temperature controller. Meat plants also require a level 3 Botany skill so if all your botany crewmembers are level 2 or lower, I don't think it'll work (but I always roll with at least a few level 3s, so I don't know what happens otherwise - I assume you simply can't plant them without level 3 botany).

When it comes to forcing crew to do things, you can select individual crewmembers and you'll see a small window down in the lower left, one of which says "Override". You can use that to force crew to switch to work mode (or rest, or sleep if necessary) for a few hours. Worst comes to worst, you can go to the ship schedule and just make everyone work for 24 hours until the emergency is done.

Famethrowa posted:

oh poo poo. it's the Space Hulk games but from the perspective of random scavengers?

Sadly not, it's very basic and quite fiddly. It's not terrible but you basically just group up your away team, click on a spot and if you spot something, you need to click again somewhere close to where they are to stop them from just blindly moving around while monsters attack them. They fire automatically at enemies they can see but you can right click on specific things to shoot at.

Combat is an area the game need work. so while I can definitely recommend it, bear that in mind if you're looking for an Xcom feel.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I got 115 hours into this game, it's a loving blast. Just be prepared to restart abunch because as you play you'll learn a lot of things--like don't try to build anything but a giant cube at first because the fancy ships require a ton of experience on placement. The most reliable way of increasing your crew number is to hunt pirates for the first few galaxies then you can make a decision on whether or not you wanna start hunting other factions for prisoner recruitment.

The next update is gonna add space stations so this may change because they talk about giant pirate stations with like 30 dudes on it haha.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How do I set one crew member to focus on, for instance, botany? Is that doable at all or do I just have to resort to prayer?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Nessus posted:

How do I set one crew member to focus on, for instance, botany? Is that doable at all or do I just have to resort to prayer?

The top left of the screen has some buttons one of which is crew. There you can set the schedule and job priorities for each crew member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Depends posted:

most likely you don't have any crew with botany skill 3, so there's a good chance that when they try to tend the meat plant they botch the task and kill it

Depends posted:

iirc you can force colonists to work, or tamper with their schedule so that it's work time and not rest/eat time. also bump up the construction priority in this case

Famethrowa posted:

that's just the pixel art style. the combat is super basic, crew will fire away at any enemies in their LOS and the only real influence you have is moving your people around on the ship, like retreating from a charging alien, chasing down that last pirate, etc.