Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is there any setup to Reagen before that page? Because I love how wonderfully minimalist the whole thing is. "your doctor really did get held up" tells us everything we need to know about how this girl ended up on this ledge.

There a scene where superman flies past her therapist, who is indeed stuck in traffic talking on his mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Bug Squash posted:

poo poo, I meant Oedipus. Been playing too much Hades.

But, also there's also Zeus over throwing Cronus, and Cronus killing Uranus before him.

Fearing replacement at the hands of our children, and it's inevitability, is a deep vein in human psychology. It plays up a lot in modern tales about robot uprisings and transhumanism, and the comic Miracle man before that. Ultimately we all fear being obsolete so authors can return to it again and again.

uuuuhhhh the literal original robot story was an allegory for colonial slave rebellions, so its a little bit different than a parent being replaced by their child

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Gerund posted:

uuuuhhhh the literal original robot story was an allegory for colonial slave rebellions, so its a little bit different than a parent being replaced by their child

I was talking about modern stories, rather than R.U.R., but honestly I think there's a strong thematic connection rooted in the fear of something you think you have control over throwing that off.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
There's a bunch of variables that one might also not initially consider.

Namely, what sort of world is this? Is it like ours, where we've had fiction with superhumans as Superman is explicitly identified as for decades? Is it like the Boys universe, where actual superhumans exist besides fictional promotion of them? Is it a world where such fiction never caught on and hasn't become as ubiquitous as it is these days? Each one likely deeply affects whatever mindset one might try to adopt.

I suppose the biggest issue is, really, how much of this power does the superhuman have at their birth? It's telling that as comics started going slightly more for 'realism', Superman went from being Superman even as an infant to slowly developing his powers over his growth (I distinctly remember an early take on Krypton's destruction showing that all Kryptonians had superpowers innately and were dismissive of Jor-El sending his son to Earth because humans were super primitive and "They don't even have X-Ray vision!"). Every person is different, but it's been generally assessed that empathy is something that often takes years to develop and has to be twinned with other concepts like consequences: you have to learn to not like bad things happening to you and what to do to avoid them before you can start to understand why Bad Things Happening To Others is Bad. If you're nigh-impossible to impose consequence on, then it seems very difficult to teach it. Isn't there some study that shows that all children inherently profile as psychopaths because of innate mental development rather than any nature or nurture issues?

And of course, there's the ultimate thread: since superhumans don't exist, any method is equally valid and invalid, because nothing happens unless the author wants it to. Homelander is the screwed up immensely dangerous mess he is because that's what Ennis/the show writers wanted. You could just as easily say "Homelander's higher senses allowed him an unnatural ability to interact with, understand, and emphasize with humans" and it would be just as 'realistic' an end result, barring quality of execution. It's the same reason canon DC Superman did stuff like 'Take all of Joker's torture of Batman onto his mind' (Emperor Joker) and "Refused to kill Manchester Black after Black faked killing Lois to provoke Superman into killing him to prove Superman was no better than anyone else despite having the IMMENSE desire to do so, which he managed to keep under control." (Ending Battle), while Injustice Superman suffered a similar trauma and turned into a villain.

I guess if you insist on an answer, the only real one I can give myself is "Try your best." Anything else is more or less impossible to quantify in any solid way.