Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
They made the objects in Mystic Marsh feel not quite so out of place this time around. I think they stuck out a lot more in the original because the rest of the level was so comparatively barren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Funny Pods saying there should be a way to fireball the ox cause anyone familiar with the original game might remember that there technically is a way to do so, just not with this level's power up.

I always assumed Metropolis was linked to Robotica Farms since they're directly across from each other and are robot themed.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

Funny Pods saying there should be a way to fireball the ox cause anyone familiar with the original game might remember that there technically is a way to do so, just not with this level's power up.

I always assumed Metropolis was linked to Robotica Farms since they're directly across from each other and are robot themed.

They’re definitely linked since our first NPC said the uprising came from the farms. And since the other two winter tundra levels are closely related too.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I suppose the only levels that aren't closely linked are the speedways and a few levels in Summer Forest.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Final boss and credits! But not the very end of the LP yet.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

I'm ready for more trouble with the trolly!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Spyro two is definitely the best in terms of raw platforming mechanics that made the original Spyro good, three introduces new play styles that, while not necessarily bad, are different from what had come before.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

Spyro two is definitely the best in terms of raw platforming mechanics that made the original Spyro good, three introduces new play styles that, while not necessarily bad, are different from what had come before.

Agreed.

Only two things Spyro 2 does badly (compared to its siblings) is the lack of thematically united levels within same hubworld, and how game forces very minor backtracking to fully complete levels.

I think that Spyro 1's themed hubworlds is masterstroke of building up the theme. It also nicely ties up with increasing difficulty and hostility Spyro faces during the adventure. Spyro 2's levels don't really feel connected (outside of the pair levels, and even those some of those fall through too).

Backtracking feels very... pointless. Returning to level with climbing ability to collect 23 gems and 2 Orbs from small area feels busywork. If new abilities opened up larger areas or alternate ways to traverse familiar areas it would be more worthwhile addition.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I have to disagree with Sinatrapod that spyro 2 benefited from the reignited treatment more than spyro 1. There's a couple of reasons, but chief among them: Spyro 1 came before dualshock controls.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Banemaster posted:

I think that Spyro 1's themed hubworlds is masterstroke of building up the theme. It also nicely ties up with increasing difficulty and hostility Spyro faces during the adventure. Spyro 2's levels don't really feel connected (outside of the pair levels, and even those some of those fall through too).

To be fair, the levels having unified themes makes more sense it Spyro one because the worlds are built around the five dragon tribes who are themselves meant to be themed hence their redesign in reignited to show each tribe's theme.

The Artisans for example are exactly what their would imply and so live in peaceful meadows to allow their proverbial muses to frolic, the Peace Keepers are warriors who train in harsh deserts to keep their minds and bodies sharp, the Magic Crafters prefer the solitude of remote mountains to study magic in peace, Beast Makers live in swamps because that gives them good raw materials to make critters with, and the Dream Weavers live in a literal dream world.

There were even two scrapped dragon tribes: The Aquifiers, who control the many waterways of the world and protect travelers from the beasts inhabiting the depths, and the Machinists who created the machinery and energy sources that keep the industrialized parts of the world running with their world being adapted into the Gnorc Gnexus after the tribe itself got scrapped.

I can understand why two and three didn't do this cause the whole point of Avalar and the Forgotten Worlds is that the dragons and their tribes don't live in these worlds and so have no influence on how these worlds developed.

Like I can't imagine that the Peace Keepers would not tolerate the Land Blubber/Breezebuilder war for example especially since according to scrapped dialogue from Elora, the Breezebuilders and Landblubbers got along well before Ripto arrived and he may have started the war between the two species.

quote:

Backtracking feels very... pointless. Returning to level with climbing ability to collect 23 gems and 2 Orbs from small area feels busywork. If new abilities opened up larger areas or alternate ways to traverse familiar areas it would be more worthwhile addition.

That is one thing that three's addition of distinct challenge areas made a marked improvement on since it allows the levels to be bigger while also allowing areas to be built for a specific character's move set thereby justifying why you need to unlock these characters in the first place.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 8, 2021

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

I like backtracking much more in a Metroid game for instance because the world is so connected and not divided so clearly and separately like in Spyro.

I do agree it’s much better in 3 and than here. The Summer Forest one especially irked me.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I feel kind of bad for Crush that they didn't get resurrected as a robot. That's Ripto's worst crime.

Nihilarian posted:

I have to disagree with Sinatrapod that spyro 2 benefited from the reignited treatment more than spyro 1. There's a couple of reasons, but chief among them: Spyro 1 came before dualshock controls.

I'm not a huge fan of Spyro 1, it's always been a debate between 2 and 3 for me but as far as improvements on the original go, you're definitely right.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Just A Friend posted:

I like backtracking much more in a Metroid game for instance because the world is so connected and not divided so clearly and separately like in Spyro.

An interconnected world does tend to be better, I remember that Jak and Daxter required you to activate the Blue Eco vents to get everything in Sentinel Beach meaning you have to backtrack if you did the latter first.

I liked how Medievil and Ape Escape handle backtracking though the former only requires inter-level backtracking once not counting lost souls in the ps4 remake and AE only requires it for 100% Ape collection post story.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Thank you SO much for watching. I love you all.

Video Content:
Ripto Odds & Ends + Dragon Shores + Art Gallery + Grand Finale

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
It's such a faithful remake otherwise, it's weird that they removed the epilogue! Did they just... forget it existed?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Beartaco posted:

It's such a faithful remake otherwise, it's weird that they removed the epilogue! Did they just... forget it existed?

It's clear to me that the people remaking the games were too bad at the games to get 100%.

Great LP, JAF!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
How do you trigger it, get 100% and then beat Ripto? Is it possible the developers just forgot to do the second part? Nah, that'd be ridiculous.

This was a situation like the Crash remake where they didn't have the source code right?

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 13, 2021

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe an epilogue felt weird if you were going from one game to the next.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe an epilogue felt weird if you were going from one game to the next.

Also because the Ripto + Gnasty alliance didn't pay off iirc; it was the Sorceress in 3, and that's where Spyro ended!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Beartaco posted:

How do you trigger it, get 100% and then beat Ripto? Is it possible the developers just forgot to do the second part? Nah, that'd be ridiculous.
You just earn all the skillpoints. Which obviously includes beating Ripto.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I imagine it's a combination of not having the source code, the epilogue itself presumably not making sense for the remake (namely the Extinct Creatures of Avalar section of 2's epilogue), and to be consistent the Spyro having the art gallery in place of an epilogue in Reignited.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
They remade everything else, scene for scene, literally word for word. It was so faithful to the original I genuinely don't believe that the consciously removed it.

Anyway, thanks for the LP Jaffy! Your old Spyro videos have been my favorite way of revisiting those PS1 games this past, I guess decade at this point. I'd been hoping you'd check out the Reignited trilogy since it released and I wasn't disappointed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Beartaco posted:

They remade everything else, scene for scene, literally word for word. It was so faithful to the original I genuinely don't believe that the consciously removed it.

To be fair, we've had HD remasters remove stuff even when they seemingly should have the source code so I wouldn't assume that these weren't omitted deliberately.