Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Personally I think Urasawa Naoki is the best mangaka because he is prolific, consistent, a strong storyteller, and a profoundly good artist with an instantly recognizable style. But maybe you think someone else is better at creating manga and want to share your thoughts. Great news! I made a thread for you to discuss those thoughts in. Set sail for fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s dang near impossible to say who my favorite it is but I have a couple that I think are top tier.

Ryoko Kui, author of Dungeon Meshi and a number of anthologies is really good. She creates settings and characters with real charm and wonder, and her art is gorgeous.

Satoshi Mizukami is another of my favorites. His best work is, imo, Spirit Circle, but Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer and Sengoku Youko are also really good. He’s also done a number of pretty good anthologies. His stuff is more offbeat and his art style is different but he always has a really unique approach to the themes he works with.

Yellow Tanabe is my final name, they made Kekkaishi and Birdmen, which are really good and criminally underrated. Unfortunately the team that was scanlating Birdmen has dropped of the face of the Earth so I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to finish it. Tanabe’s works have really strong world building and big casts or very interesting characters trying to change a world much bigger than them

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s dang near impossible to say who my favorite it is but I have a couple that I think are top tier.

Ryoko Kui, author of Dungeon Meshi and a number of anthologies is really good. She creates settings and characters with real charm and wonder, and her art is gorgeous.

Satoshi Mizukami is another of my favorites. His best work is, imo, Spirit Circle, but Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer and Sengoku Youko are also really good. He’s also done a number of pretty good anthologies. His stuff is more offbeat and his art style is different but he always has a really unique approach to the themes he works with.

Yellow Tanabe is my final name, they made Kekkaishi and Birdmen, which are really good and criminally underrated. Unfortunately the team that was scanlating Birdmen has dropped of the face of the Earth so I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to finish it. Tanabe’s works have really strong world building and big casts or very interesting characters trying to change a world much bigger than them

That's cool I'm unfamiliar with Mizukami or Tanabe. Definitely going to have to add those works to the pile. Dungeon Meshi is of course phenomenal and its unique concept/exploration of fantasy tropes has been super influential. I feel like there must be at least a half dozen mangas of varying quality running currently that owe Dungeon Meshi a lot of credit (and I also think the overall creativity of Dungeon Meshi may have helped cleared the path for the explosion of isekai that currently pollutes manga).

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Anybody else in this forum enjoy manga?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Pewdiepie posted:

its pronounced manga

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pewdiepie posted:

Half of my free-time (which about 2 hours per day) is spent reading recommendations made by the lovely goons in this very sub-forum and their different threads.

Mainstream mangaka that I absolutely love are:
  • Hiroaki Samura: Mainly known for the incredibly grim Blade of the Immortal (which was also the first legit tankobon I bought at age 15) and the goofy and surprisingly poignant Wave, Listen to Me!. My favorite thing he has ever done is the short story compilation Ohikkoshi.
  • Yoshihiro Togashi: Yu*Yu*Hakusho, Level E and Hunter x Hunter. Like them all to different degrees
  • Takehiko Inoue: The guy behind the spectacular Vagabond, the fantastic Slam Dunk and what's undoubtedly my favorite work of his, the incredibly powerful Real.
  • Junji Ito: Tomie, Fragments of Horror, Uzumaki and a fuckton of other titles.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
you, the reader's favorite mangaka :)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
kago shintaro

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

noboyuki fukomoto - desperation is cool

kaiji kawaguchi - seinen is cool

usamaru furuya - gore is cool

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
it's Ashinano Hitoshi

no one's made a better art than yokohama kaidashi kikou[1]. some view it[who?] to be the best manga ever.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
My favorite manga artist is Bob.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Personally I think Urasawa Naoki is the best mangaka because he is prolific, consistent, a strong storyteller, and a profoundly good artist with an instantly recognizable style. But maybe you think someone else is better at creating manga and want to share your thoughts. Great news! I made a thread for you to discuss those thoughts in. Set sail for fun!

Urasawa is real good, 20th+21st Century Boys, Monster, and Pluto are great. Asano Inio is also really good, Oyasumi Punpun is perfect and Solanin and It's a Wonderful World were also good. Need to read other stuff by them.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

sourdough posted:

Urasawa is real good, 20th+21st Century Boys, Monster, and Pluto are great. Asano Inio is also really good, Oyasumi Punpun is perfect and Solanin and It's a Wonderful World were also good. Need to read other stuff by them.

Asano was probably the first that came to mind for me. Also ONE.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
its choborau nyopomi, everyone

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Whoever made k-on. Because k-on is good and yui is the best.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Yoshihiro Togashi and Mitsuru Adachi are two personal favorites of mine, although Togashi wins it for not being obsessed with incest-like relationships.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
Go Nagai because he creates what he loves: sexy violence

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It doesn't really get more mainstream than this, but I'd go with Akira Toriyama. He had great fight choreography in his panels, told an obviously enthralling story, and I like that he was able (and willing) to recognize that he wasn't going to be able to out-do Dragonball and just kind of kept chipping in on that here and there while transitioning into cashing fat checks to design characters for things like Dragon Quest.

I'd consider Akasaka Aka to be the best in the romance manga category, he's found the perfect mix of romance and comedy and it always captivates me. Kaguya is the manga release I look forward to the most week to week right now.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Kentaro Miura. The man who writes Berserk. Hes successfully released two chapters this year and everyones really happy that coronavirus has had no impact on his schedule.

Srsly though, his work at its best is absolutely top tier fantasy horror. We will not speak of his other work, which is divisive at best.

McGrady posted:

Go Nagai because he creates what he loves: sexy violence

I've become a big Go Nagai fan since watching crybaby, having seen the original OVAs at far too young an age.

Big Witch Hat
Oct 28, 2020
I think yuri manga is the best so here are two yuri manga authors I like:

Milk Morinaga has that stereotypical incredibly sweet and soft school yuri romance genre covered. Girl Friends is great, but she also drew a bunch of other shorter manga.

Takemiya Jin's yuri manga is more serious in tone (including addressing actual LGBT topics) and also way more diverse in its cast (that's right, yuri manga not with teenagers exists).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of a cliché answer but there's a reason Osamu Tezuka is so well regarded. While in America he's mainly known for stuff like Astro Boy or Black Jack I would recommend his works from the 70s when he focused on the darker side of the human condition.

Ode to Kirihito a young doctor at a prestigious hospital tries to navigate the politics of medicine and is sent to an isolated village where there's an outbreak of a mysterious disease that turns people into animals.

MW Michio Yuki lives a double life. By day he's a rising star at his job as a banker, by night he kidnaps people for ransom and then kills both the person he kidnaps and the victim who pays the ransom. The motivations for his actions stretch back 15 years to an isolated island shortly after the end of the war.

For more modern stuff I'm a big fan of Makoto Yukimura. Planetes is just straight up one of my favorite manga and his ongoing series, The Vinland Saga, is also really good. Planetes is cool for its realistic depictions of the dangers of space travel.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like Makoto Hagino

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Kiyohiko Azuma can tell a story for all ages and draw some breathtaking panels as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

My favorite manga artist is Bob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43l7hh6jquc

T_T thanks.