Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

Adopted two kittens recently, about 3 months old from the same litter. I've had cats before, but this is my first time with kittens. Some red flags with aggression during food/litterbox use, but I have 4 food/water bowls and 3 litter boxes, so I think that angle is covered. They've been fighting and playing as you would expect kittens to do, but recently I noticed that it's very lopsided. They were born at the same time but, the larger one (Bandit) has a noticeable size advantage over his brother (Ollie). On top of that, yesterday Ollie took a nasty fall off a piece of furniture, and isn't walking straight. I booked a vet appointment, but it's not until next week. In the meantime, he's absolutely not putting up a fight at all when Bandit comes after him, and Bandit isn't stopping when Ollie starts yelping. We're talking throat-biting, but also tearing, ripping motions, and going after the injured leg too. Currently working from home, so I'm able to monitor them most of the time -- they're relatively peaceful most of the day, but around 8-12pm it's constant bullying time. Some aggression while Ollie is trying to use the litter box too, which I've been told is very bad.

My approach has been to do a verbal warning first when Ollie starts yelping. Then aggressively walk towards them, and if needed physically separate them. I've heard that getting involved in their fights is problematic, but I don't know what else to do. Torn between wanting to protect Ollie and help him heal/grow versus getting resentment from Bandit. I've made a little bit of progress with keeping Bandit distracted, channeling his play energy into something other than hunting his brother. Been able to prevent him from attacking if I'm physically next to Ollie, but I can't be babysitting them all of the time. I've tried keeping them in separate rooms, but they're still kittens and want to be together; whichever one is isolated will start crying nonstop.

How do I protect my injured kitten from his stronger brother? Or do I just leave him to Bandit's mercy?

Also, regarding Ollie's fall, I've removed that piece of furniture, and I'm watching very carefully whenever they climb onto anything now. He's really low energy right now, and I feel terrible making him wait so long for the appointment. I hope it's not a break, but I'm not sure. Yesterday he was barely walking at all, basically only moving when Bandit was attacking him. Today he's up and about more, with a less noticeable limp, but I've heard that cats often try to hide their injuries. Should I go to emergency services instead of waiting for the vet appointment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

rename bandit to micah because you've got a big ol jerk on your hands

I'd just keep them separated. And yeah I'd go to the ER vet

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

Ok, just dropped off Ollie at the ER vet.

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

Ok, vet says it doesn't look like a fracture. They said he's having some gas and gave antibiotics for it. Moved Bandit to a separate room after the first big attack of the day