Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Here's a relevant XKCD What If. Vega is built in a cold location for a reason.

quote:

1.875 terawatts is like a house-sized stack of TNT going off every second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

There are temperatures below absolute zero, if I remember right. It's one of those "physics gets weird" things you get when doing particle physics experiments and the like.

(Or when you're making a sequel to Gunbuster).

Also, it's nice how Doomguy isn't an rear end in a top hat.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

chiasaur11 posted:

There are temperatures below absolute zero, if I remember right. It's one of those "physics gets weird" things you get when doing particle physics experiments and the like.

The demons I think would disagree about the rear end in a top hat part.

Or is ultra-violence considered polite in Demon Society?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Negative temperatures are theoretically possible, but it's less about particle physics wackiness so much as extending very particular definitions of "temperature".

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

chiasaur11 posted:

Doomguy IS an rear end in a top hat, but he's an rear end in a top hat with a good moral center, the kind who does the right thing, but will not hesitate to crush some rich dicks mansion in the process. Or rich dicks mars base in this case.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

JigglyJacob posted:

[Part 12 - My Other Friend]

VEGA III
UAC REPORT FILE 5TW1DBY1

VEGA is powered by a mix of unrefined Argent plasma (taken directly from the Argent Fracture) and UAC technology. While details regarding the development of VEGA are a closely guarded secret, it is rumored that VEGA's core is powered by a piece of arcane technology found near the Argent Fracture.

The behavior and calculating power of VEGA is unprecedented in AI theory, and the system is, to some extent, "self-taught". After the initial core software was uploaded, VEGA began gathering data from all the UAC subsystems without oversight, and effectively took control of the Mars facility operations. VEGA also proposed a more effective method for processing Argent plasma into Argent Energy, devised better analysis theorems, and even designed new Argent compression schema, allowing for the development of Argent Caches, and later, the Argent Accumulator.

VEGA Central Processing
The internal operating temperatures of VEGA's plasma based neural net are high - extremely high. Early tests of VEGA's proto-plasmic circuity showed temperatures exceeding 1.2 megakelvins (hotter than the surface of the sun). To contain this level of heat, a massive supercooled structure needed to be built to house VEGA's miles of circuity and millions of processing centers. The structure was built away from the Argent Facility to ensure VEGA's secrets remained safe from prying eyes. Access to the VEGA polar core is strictly controlled. VEGA's design is so complex that the study of its inner workings has been given its own field of study - VEGAcore Physics.

Revenant III
UAC REPORT FILE S7FG9VJQ

During initial development of the Revenant program, a curious side effect of Lazarus Wave exposure was discovered. The Argent Energy held within the plasmatic isotopes of the Lazarus Wave mutates ossein proteins, resulting in rapid skeletal growth. The expansion of the bone matter results in avulsion of the skin and connective tissue. The flesh is literally torn from the bones. As the skeleton continues to grow, the exposed internal organs begin to decompose. After several weeks of intense pain for the patient, the skeletal growth stops - resulting in a 3 meter beast comprised primarily of bone. The height varies depending on patient's original physiology. Despite this bizarre biological structure, the Revenant appears to bear no ill effects.

VEGA Central Processing
Artificial Intelligence
(I missed this one. It's directly to the left of the computer where you disable VEGA)
A note for all advocates regarding VEGA. At times, you may feel as though your every move is being watched. As if there is no privacy, and that even your deepest thoughts are being analyzed and processed by VEGA. You are not paranoid. This is indeed happening, but it is nothing to fear. VEGA's intelligence is vast and his power immense, but he is not omnipotent. Like all of us, his existence is monodimensional. He needs Argent Energy to survive. His circuits and coolant reserves are mechanical and can break down. At the end of this age, he will be another trophy for the dark masters, destined for display on the Great Steppe. It is essential that you recognize VEGA for what he is - another tool to help open the gates, and nothing more. Like us, he can be manipulated and controlled. The vast intellect and understanding of the Titans of Hell far exceed anything VEGA is capable of understanding. Ultimately, his intelligence, like ours, is artificial.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As long as you haven't even peripherally and willfully helped demons Doomguy will probably at least let you live.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

As long as you haven't even peripherally and willfully helped demons Doomguy will probably at least let you live.

I mean Doomguy hasn't killed Hayden yet and Hayden is semi-responsible for this poo poo happening to begin with.

Even if you did help the demons if by the time Doomguy reaches you, you are prepared to go the other way and help Doomguy kill the demons, he isn't going to just waste you.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well hayden is helping, and now VEGAs disabled hes the only support, so he gets to live, for now.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Hayden's complicit, but even when Doomguy was busting up the Argent power generators that Hayden wanted to keep because they solved a lot of Earth's problems, he never actively stopped or impaired Doomguy's mission of kicking Hell's rear end off of Mars. As long as he doesn't pull an Olivia or otherwise clearly stand in Doomguy's way of making Hell pay, there are bigger fish to fry.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Keeping in mind that I haven't played Eternal and don't know what goes on there: Hayden is super sus to me in that he's got an other quality that's unsettling. I'm not reading into that too much because I'm only just a bit ahead the thread atm, since there's time left for the inevitable twist and/or sequel hook.

Doomguy preserving VEGA was my favorite thing in this game, hands down. :3:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

He pegged my "totally going to kill this guy later" senses right from the get go.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Malah posted:

Keeping in mind that I haven't played Eternal and don't know what goes on there: Hayden is super sus to me in that he's got an other quality that's unsettling. I'm not reading into that too much because I'm only just a bit ahead the thread atm, since there's time left for the inevitable twist and/or sequel hook.

Doomguy preserving VEGA was my favorite thing in this game, hands down. :3:

Oh, I absolutely don't trust Hayden either. He really hits that "anything is justified in the name of science" feel, trying to justify his actions with claims that it was "for the good of humanity." He feels like the kind of guy who would say "the most efficient way to keep modern society stable is to feed orphans into a wood chipper on a daily basis" is an acceptable step. The kind of guy who looks at the rituals in the Fatal Frame games and says, "yes, torturing this one person for eternity is a perfectly valid option that could in no way backfire, I will cease any attempts to find alternative methods." The kind of guy who thinks Lobotomy Corporation (the corporation, not the game) is a good idea.

I don't like Hayden and I want him to end up a boss in Eternal, is what I'm saying.

edit: Also, despite my earlier remark that I prefer Doomguy not having much beyond RIP AND TEAR, yes, the thing with VEGA was great.

azren fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 11, 2021

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Thus concludes this, Doomguy's modern opus. Look forward to Eternal starting hopefully same time next week!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

It was at this point that I went, wait I don't kill hayden?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I'm really glad you guys are going to cover Eternal, that game has some awesome fights.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

It was at this point that I went, wait I don't kill hayden?

Nobody kills him. He lives.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I know! Isn't it baffling?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Jesus, Grandpa! Why am I even playing this!?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

FoolyCharged posted:

I know! Isn't it baffling?

It's like they wanted to hold that in reserve in order to sell more DLC.

EricFate fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 16, 2021

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Did none of you watch the video? Sam straight up says, "I'm not the villian in this story" so Doomguy can't kill him. It's like calling Dibs or Shotgun, you can't violate that sacred trust!

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Wa11y posted:

Did none of you watch the video? Sam straight up says, "I'm not the villian in this story" so Doomguy can't kill him. It's like calling Dibs or Shotgun, you can't violate that sacred trust!

You say that like Doomguy follows ANY pre set rules.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

JigglyJacob posted:

[Part 13 END - They Promised]

Argent D'Nur
While some intelligence has been directly retrieved from Argent D'Nur, most of the details we have regarding this location have been extrapolated from decoded tablets and scriptures. Limited data from remote collection and information decrypted from the Corrax tablets suggests that this area is the corrupted ruins of a "lost realm" - a world that has been entirely conquered and absorbed into the Hell dimension. The battle that was fought to claim this area is of great significance, as the spread of Hell's dominion accelerated quickly upon absorption of the region.

The Hell energy that emanates from this region passes through a dimensional tear, and appears on Mars at the Argent Fracture.

From the Corrax tablets:

"All falls before the command of Hell, for our power is absolute, our march to victory inevitable. Before our armies, even the Elemental Wraiths of Argent D'Nur were subjugated. In that great victory the Night Sentinels, protectors of the Wraiths, were betrayed by one of their own, and the wretches wept as we devoured their world and took The Well for our devices. None stand against us, for treachery resides in all things and we shall set it free."

The Wraiths
While there have been no confirmed sightings of these creatures, much is known about them as they are revered by the demons and referenced multiple times in all explored areas of Hell. According to scriptures found in the Kadingir Sanctum, the Wraiths are elemental beings that inhabit the realm of Argent D'Nur, a world that was colonized in the First Age of Ascension. The Wraiths were deified by the people of Argent D'Nur and protected by their fiercest warriors, the Night Sentinels. They are believed to have been imbued with a powerful energy.

The Wraiths II
The Elemental Wraiths, if they do still exist in Argent D'Nur, have no doubt been corrupted by the power of Hell. However, descriptions of the beasts suggest they were terrifying in their own form before any demonization occurred. The protection of these beasts was both a measure to harness the power they generated, and also a defense against them - hence the need for a warrior order to serve as protectors rather than a simple priest caste.

Several tablets describe the worship of the Wraiths as a necessity to avoid their wrath, and the Ungmar Codex specifically states that "Wraith-Call" (the sign of an approaching Wraith) caused panic and terror among the people of Argent D'Nur. It is also possible that some sacrificial ceremonies were attached to the worship of the Wraiths.

The Wraiths III
Further readings from the Ungmar Codex:

"The Night Sentinels stood strong against our legions. Conquest of Argent D'Nur, empowered by the Wraith-energy, was foiled at every turn. Yet in our darkest hour came a lowly Hell priest, Deag Grav, and in his guidance a weakness in a heathen of the Night Sentinels was found.

The bargain was struck thus: for the return of the Betrayer's only son, lost on the battlefield, Deag Grav must be taken to the source of their power, the Elemental Wraiths. Lead there by the wretched Betrayer, Deag Grav and his cabal set a curse upon the Wraiths as they slept, and used their essence for our own devices. With the power of the Wraiths they formed The Well, that which brings us upon our enemies. Thus, the city of Argent and their false gods fell under the unholy might of the Hell priests.

For his payment, the Betrayer's son was returned to him in our form, and the Icon of Sin was brought upon the heathens. His vengeance was swift and merciless, for the wages of treachery are suffering.

With the fall of Argent D'Nur, their realm was taken into ours, their temples and runes, their carved rock and edifice, all was absorbed into our realm and taken as trophies of our triumph."

Spider Mastermind
UAC REPORT FILE FVS1EC3F

The first Project Lazarus Tethering Operation (MTC 2146/351) retrieved a small compendium from the Umbral Plains in the crypt of a destroyed tower of unknown construction (artifact reference PL E2M8). This "vade mecum" was mostly illegible, but it did contain one of the rare references to the Aranea Imperatrix - a mystical demon that is still largely unknown.

"When the gate is opened, in the fourth age, when we have risen and the masters have shown us the path, she will be come. A great blessing will be given to the key holder, for they will become one with the master, and in that holy union the power of the dark priest will be unleashed upon the heretics of the Penumbral Plain. The Aranea Imperatrix. Carried in the mind of all who follow, fed from the blood of those who fell, made with bone of rock, iron, steel and sinew. A mighty god to rule over all other gods. One become two become legion."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Huh. There is actually a bunch of foreshadowing for Eternal there.

It's also kind of interesting how the tablet describing the mastermind is referenced as E2M8 where it really should be E3M8? On the other hand, they refer to a "tower" which would fit E2M8 more... Seems like they didn't really know what to do with the reference.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 16, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

So lorewise Argent is not originally hell but fallen into it. So really what Hayden is doing with all of this extraction is stealing from the demons energy that THEY stole and corrupted in the first place from these Argent Wraiths.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its that *and* hell has a huge amount of energy just floating about.
I think eternal goes into it.

The short of it is: Hell was created. It isnt natural.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

azren posted:

Jesus, Grandpa! Why am I even playing this!?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AtomikKrab posted:

So lorewise Argent is not originally hell but fallen into it. So really what Hayden is doing with all of this extraction is stealing from the demons energy that THEY stole and corrupted in the first place from these Argent Wraiths.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The short of it is: Hell was created. It isnt natural.
The story of Doom was so much cooler when it was just "Hell is real and scientists accidentally opened a doorway to it. Whoops, demons everywhere!" All this new poo poo is tiresome.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They could have gone into it in a less tiresome way.

To any writers reading this: its is fine for things to be 'just so' in a story, it does not need three thousand lore pages.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You all are going to love Eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Talking about games that are similar to Doom 2016, given one of the avatars in this thread there is one game in recent memory that is very much like Doom 2016 and its even another game that was remade and is now identified by the year of its release, Shadow Warrior 2013. It has bigger versions of the some of the same flaws of Doom 2016 but also a lot of the same strengths in gameplay and character. Honestly its so close that considering that Doom 2016 reportedly began re-development in 2013 sometimes I think it was the direct inspiration.