Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I use XenOrchestra to manage 5 XCP-NG servers. Works well enough for management. Don’t use it for anything “advanced” though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I use Xenorchestra and Puppet

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
What do you guys think about the Intel Xeon 5512U vs. AMD EPYC 8224P? They seemed to be the most comparable in terms of price & performance for this core count, the product lines kind of leap frog each other. The AMD certainly seems like a much better value - any other aspects that would make one that much more compelling over the other though?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fletcher posted:

What do you guys think about the Intel Xeon 5512U vs. AMD EPYC 8224P? They seemed to be the most comparable in terms of price & performance for this core count, the product lines kind of leap frog each other. The AMD certainly seems like a much better value - any other aspects that would make one that much more compelling over the other though?

Intel's list prices are not real numbers, ask your vendor for prices before you do any planning based on costs. Is there a reason you're looking at single socket parts specifically? Are you power/heat density limited?

I'm guessing from your low core counts / clocks that you don't have CPU intensive workloads in line, but Intel's 5xxx line has been in an awkward middle place recently. 6xxx and higher have a 2nd FMA port and can perform noticeably better with vectorized workloads. If you're trying to hit 24 cores per node specifically I think I'd rather hang around the bottom of Intel's stack with 2x Xeon 4510 than either of those options. MSRP for a pair of those is less than a single 5512U.

The 6 memory channels on a 8224P are really low for a modern server system, but depending what you're doing with these things that may be fine. If this is for homelab, I'd ask "why not consumer platform" because a 7950X is cheaper and faster than an 8224P, 16 fast cores vs 24 slow ones. If you're after big RAM at home I'd ask "why not DDR4", because filling these systems up with DDR5 won't be cheap.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Twerk from Home posted:

Intel's list prices are not real numbers, ask your vendor for prices before you do any planning based on costs. Is there a reason you're looking at single socket parts specifically? Are you power/heat density limited?

I'm guessing from your low core counts / clocks that you don't have CPU intensive workloads in line, but Intel's 5xxx line has been in an awkward middle place recently. 6xxx and higher have a 2nd FMA port and can perform noticeably better with vectorized workloads. If you're trying to hit 24 cores per node specifically I think I'd rather hang around the bottom of Intel's stack with 2x Xeon 4510 than either of those options. MSRP for a pair of those is less than a single 5512U.

The 6 memory channels on a 8224P are really low for a modern server system, but depending what you're doing with these things that may be fine. If this is for homelab, I'd ask "why not consumer platform" because a 7950X is cheaper and faster than an 8224P, 16 fast cores vs 24 slow ones. If you're after big RAM at home I'd ask "why not DDR4", because filling these systems up with DDR5 won't be cheap.

Thanks for the response! It is for a homelab and I am somewhat power constrained, trying to find the right balance of performance vs. power consumption. Maybe a consumer platform is the right way to go, looks like there are some AM5 options from ASRock Rack that support ECC, IPMI, and 10GbE. It would be nice if they had more than a single M.2 slot but not a dealbreaker.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I am a huge sucker for vPro and Intel AMT for IPMI but three of my M93P kube nodes have magically deprovisioned AMT configuration after an extended power outage. What a pain. Now I have to dig into the back of my small, cramped rack to attach VGA. If I had any more space I'd just see if I can find a cheap KVM to have as a "backup" for next time. I'm just outta U's.

Yes I know AMT is a security nightmare. It's a throwaway homelab -- everything is a nightmare

I actually have one of the old pod-based Dell KVMs that work tossed but it has a corrupted flash. I've been idly thinking about trying to figure out how to re-flash it somehow but that seems really involved since everything is soldered to the board and I'm not even sure where I'd begin.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 8, 2024

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

some kinda jackal posted:

Man I am a huge sucker for vPro and Intel AMT for IPMI but three of my M93P kube nodes have magically deprovisioned AMT configuration after an extended power outage. What a pain. Now I have to dig into the back of my small, cramped rack to attach VGA. If I had any more space I'd just see if I can find a cheap KVM to have as a "backup" for next time. I'm just outta U's.

Yes I know AMT is a security nightmare. It's a throwaway homelab -- everything is a nightmare

I actually have one of the old pod-based Dell KVMs that work tossed but it has a corrupted flash. I've been idly thinking about trying to figure out how to re-flash it somehow but that seems really involved since everything is soldered to the board and I'm not even sure where I'd begin.

I've been very much enjoying my PiKVM. I haven't had to use it a whole lot but the couple of times I needed it I was really glad I had it so I didn't have to go crawling around behind my rack to try and find my monitor's VGA cable and then try to get it to the right server.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
2u to not have to deal with that is worth it.

I have IPMI everywhere but they can have my VGA KVM when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
As I have quite a bit of configuration going on between my linux VMs, some of which I rely on (wireguard) I wanna backup the config files. What would be the best way to just keep a redundant copy of all my important config files? I'm fine specifying every single one in a task list somewhere.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The way i'd approach this is to not just backup the configs, but also to try to orchestrate their deployment through Ansible or something like that.

I've been slowly converting my stupid little lab/play nodes into Ansible playbooks, testing them on garbage VMs, then once I'm mostly successful I try to tear down and re-provision the actual thing I'm concerned about.

I don't know if that suits your purpose, but that's probably how I'd try to tackle the problem. I just know that a year from now, barring some sort of automation, I'd probably have to spend a bit of time trying to figure out how to re-implement them.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Do you have system-level backups? If not, might be a good time to play around with Restic. Set it to only back up /etc and any other config paths.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Cenodoxus posted:

Do you have system-level backups? If not, might be a good time to play around with Restic. Set it to only back up /etc and any other config paths.

I do, but on a lot of these systems the only important thing is the config file (like my wireguard machine really only needs the wireguard config and the firewall rules). I want to have those backed up in addition, because pulling those files out of a backup is more effort than just setting up a new one and dropping the config back in.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Hrm. Might have to upgrade some HVAC infrastructure to add this to the homelab: https://gsaauctions.gov/auctions/preview/282996

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

I don't even want the compute, I just want one of those SGI ICE XA racks. God drat. Rackable-era SGI stuff always looked sharp.

Keep an eye on eBay over the next few months, v4 Xeon and DDR4-2400 prices are about to tank hard. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So I migrated off the HP C3000 Bladecenter onto the Dell VRTX and some M630s, and while they consume a LOT less power, they do not recover as gracefully from cold shutdowns as the C3000 did. Oh well.

The PCIe Passthrough is much nicer through.