Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i like my new desk very much, it is solid and has lots of places to keep my stuff

also it's L-shaped, as all of my desks have and will be, because i like having somewhere to put my elbow when i'm doing mouse things

it is one of these https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/bestar-innova-l-shaped-desk-tuscany-brown-black/6000152506404

gently caress keyboard trays forever though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
l-shaped desks = god tier

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

They're even better when you hook up two of them and get a U desk

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
get four and become trapped at your desk for all time

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

my desk is the great outdoors op

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

r u ready to WALK posted:

Pretty sure you're building a cubicle in your own home OP

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i dont want an L desk because then i cant sit next to a window

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I bet you sickos like L couches too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

L couches are good because you can sleep on them in an L.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

r u ready to WALK posted:

picking up a massive U shaped desk tomorrow off craigslist.

pumped as hell

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah L couches are fantastic

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Only good desk is the Kirk-Trek desk

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bought a pair of decently solid 5 foot by 2.5 foot tables from ikea and put them together as a big L-shaped desk

major upgrade from my previous folding table

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

iäve never bought a desk

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TerminalRaptor posted:

Pretty sure you're building a cubicle in your own home OP

my desk is a tabletop from a cubicle. its good.

i like the texture of the top, and it has rubber edging around it. i added feet to it and braced the legs so it can stand on its own without the rest of the cubicle. my fav part is that since it's a cantilever design theres no drawers or bars or other bullshit under the desk for me to slam my knees into

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

When the Motorola "Software Center of Excellence" opened at UWA in 2003 (!) all the brand new fitout in the meeting- and training rooms were this style with the huge sunken CRTs embedded within the desks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Someone post the Argentinian or whatever war room.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

It was Chile and there were specifically no desks

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/project-cybersyn/

Still a sweet setup. Bummer about the coup and everyone getting shot tho

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fortaleza posted:

It was Chile and there were specifically no desks

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/project-cybersyn/

Still a sweet setup. Bummer about the coup and everyone getting shot tho

idiot hell fuckers for decades: THE DESKTOP COMPUTRE IS DEAD ÄÖÖÄÄÖÄÖÄÖLÖÄLÄÖLÄÄÄ
Chileans in the 70s: the desktop is dead :smuggo:

(by koinkidink I just read a transcript of Allende's last radio broadcast before being murdered by what i'm assuming was an US-backed coup because why the gently caress wouldn't it have been US-backed. powerful stuff.)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
if you like cybersyn you should check out General Intellect Unit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bet process management consultants are mad that their field isn't called CYBERNETICS anymore

Kao_Pai
Mar 25, 2003
Just bumping this to say thank you to everyone that suggested the Uplift Desk sit/stand desks. I ordered the L shaped V2 desk and just finished setting it up and it's pretty close to what I have at work. I've got some minimal cable cleanup to do and some Ergotron arms on order but it's a great setup so far. This is making wfh slightly more tolerable. I've got most of my gear from work office at home now which is nice, but I guess it took me eight months to realize that I actually miss having office visitors; people just dropping by to sit around and try to solve work problems or real problems. Zoom and Webex can get hosed I don't know how much longer I can take that kind of interaction.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i wish to buy a desk op

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

what do we think of fully desks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i did an "ikea hack" to finally get myself off of the dining room table

solid beech top, stained in minwax gunstock, and sealed with semigloss polyurethane

these are the drawers and the feet spacers between them are these

i drilled holes in the bottoms of the feet spacers so that i could run bolts through them and have everything connected instead of having the desktop prevented from sliding around by just its weight

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i have that Ikea desk with the turn handle to go up and down it's very needs suiting

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

solid beech top, stained in minwax gunstock, and sealed with semigloss polyurethane

i drilled holes in the bottoms of the feet spacers so that i could run bolts through them and have everything connected instead of having the desktop prevented from sliding around by just its weight

check out this fancy lad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sweet desk!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

why have you got paper with important looking poo poo on it and just a sad lonely laptop without 4 billion monitors and other nerd poo poo hooked up to it

why do you have a cocktail on your desk

are you actually a functional adult instead of a shameful nerd

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i actually need to order some monitors and a new desktop now that i have a dedicated deskspace lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i have this

it's classy

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
new desk is arriving saturday, more than a week late. at least they refunded shipping costs :toot:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i have this

it's classy

wow where is your blotter? how many missives and letters patent does it hold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i love the illumination work you did for the book of kells lol!