Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is worse
eric s ray,mond
esr
View Results

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
esr is clearly one of the worst people on the planet, while linux is just kind of a jerk sometimes. esr is worse. i defy you to find a situation where esr is not the worst. maybe a situation where aliens will destroy the earth unless a cross-eyed rear end in a top hat convinces them to do their target practice elsewhere? gently caress that. esr talks to them for ten seconds, they'll freeze the earth's core for the good of the rest of the universe. it is literally impossible to imagine a situation where esr is useful. not in this universe, not in any other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Clearly ESR, case in point from TYOOL 2020:

That rear end in a top hat posted:

There’s an angle on the case of Kyle Rittenhouse that I haven’t seen even hinted at in the media.

Section 246 of US Code Title 10, entitled, “Militia: composition and classes” reads:

“(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are:

(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and

(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.”

That is, all males of military age who are or intend to become citizens of the United States are under federal statute the “unorganized militia”, and have the duty of the militia to defend the Constitution of the United States against enemies foreign and domestic (as both naturalizing citizens and members of the armed forces swear to do).

Kyle Rittenhouse is a 17-year-old male and thus a member of the unorganized militia under black-letter Federal law. When he armed up to defend a friend’s business during a breakdown in civil order, he was acting precisely as all members of the unorganized militia have a legal and Constitutional duty to act in like circumstances.

And yes, shooting violent criminal insurrectionists is included in that duty. Rittenhouse would have been justified in doing so even if he had not been acting in self-defense against lethal threats to his person.

So let’s not hear any more nonsense about a teenager having no business being in that situation. Kyle Rittenhouse recognized one of his core duties as an American citizen and performed it with exceptional skill and courage.

ugh

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

this whole chur/brexit period has been very revealing to me in just how many people really do seem to want fascism. they’ll line up behind the most heinous poo poo if they feel it aligns with their world view. they find comfort in simple answers to complex problems to the point where they are happy to abandon basic empathy, humanity, and kindness

and it only takes a few assholes in positions of ‘power’ to take advantage of that instinct for poo poo to get real dark, real fast. it’s loving ridiculous tribal lizard brain bullshit

gently caress you esr, gently caress you dilbert guy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

ugh

golly

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

quote:

I received a disturbing warning today from a source I trust.

The short version is: if you are any kind of open-source leader or senior figure who is male, do not be alone with any female, ever, at a technical conference. Try to avoid even being alone, ever, because there is a chance that a “women in tech” advocacy group is going to try to collect your scalp.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i hate him so much

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he is a super gross and awful person and i also hate him so much.

also that quote two posts up reminds me of that creepy psychological phenomenon where rapists believe that everyone else is a rapist. they get caught and interviewed and it always comes out that they think everyone is raping all the time, and the other men are just better at hiding it. the idea that most people just don't rape and don't even want to doesn't make any sense to them.

i've never been accused of sexual harassment and neither have any of the people i consider friends. if you and your buddies are always having to be on the lookout for :females: trying to "collect your scalp" perhaps it's your own loving fault

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i've never been accused of sexual harassment and neither have any of the people i consider friends. if you and your buddies are always having to be on the lookout for :females: trying to "collect your scalp" perhaps it's your own loving fault

this times 1 million

it's stunning how little people seem to be prepared to empathise with others. 'hey if someone I didn't find at all attractive kept hitting on me and making me feel unsafe that probably wouldn't be cool' just doesn't seem to enter their head at all

you could argue its functionally developmental disablement, peeps like that are either psychopaths (unlikely as they have zero superficial charm) or have a totally broken theory of mind

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

ugh

well, there's upsides. as he bases the right to wave guns around on this document, and is a well-known rational and thus consistent person, he, being over 45 and no longer part of the unorganized militia, has no doubt gotten rid of his guns.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hn brought up an old sendmail vs uucp thread, i guess it belongs in here

https://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=585008+0+archive/2001/freebsd-arch/20010218.freebsd-arch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the best thing about esr is the ncurses licensing drama

https://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses-license.html

really shows what a useless pos he is and how he attaches himself to projects like a barnacle to claim credit