Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Thread for asking how specific things in our government work.

So first off, how would you actually move away from the EC for a straight up popular vote for president?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

PookBear posted:

So first off, how would you actually move away from the EC for a straight up popular vote for president?

I would od on enough hallucinatory drugs to think it is even remotely possible

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PookBear posted:

Constitutional amendment is the primary way. Since that really isn't an option, getting a larger number of states signed up with the NPVIC would provide the same solution. Right now the states in the pact represent 196 electoral votes.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
if they made popular vote matter california would get bombarded with rallies

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

what about ranked choice, is that up to each state?

edit: is first past the post a federal thing, or is that what each state just went with?

also, what would need to happen for the democratic primary to be ranked choice

PookBear fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 5, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PookBear posted:

That would be fantastic, but, yes, it is up to the states.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PookBear posted:

They don't

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I had a thought (it hurt) and I think this would be the right thread to put it in.

So we all saw that Florida voted for a $15 minimum wage right? Despite overwhelmingly voting for Trump. Maybe getting a candidate like Bernie Sanders for president is going about this the wrong way. Even if Sanders got into the office he would just be obstructed by the left and right anyway. But if left and right voters came together for some reason to vote for a $15 minimum wage, perhaps with a strong message and selling it to the public better M4A might become popular enough to be voted in directly like the minimum wage? At least maybe if states started their own version and everyone saw that it worked it would at least have a better chance being adopted federally. I don't know if that is realistic though.

How many states and/or areas are at $15 minimum wage now? Florida, by 2026 (I think), California by 2022, Connecticut by 2023, Illinois by 2025, Maryland by 2025, Mass. by 2023, NJ by 2024 and NY with some weird yearly adjustment.
(ref: https://www.yahoo.com/news/happened...Te_emixHwMRqUu3)

So it's a start, regarding a living wage anyway. As we see how a higher minimum wage impacts these areas maybe other areas will adopt it as well. I am thinking maybe this model could be applied to something like M4A. Like I said it's an idea, not sure how much is really possible when playing calvinball in government. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

PookBear posted:

edit: is first past the post a federal thing, or is that what each state just went with?

also, what would need to happen for the democratic primary to be ranked choice

States have historically been given somewhat free reign to handle their own elections, but Congress does have the authority to weigh in:

quote:

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing [sic] Senators.

The most famous instance of Congress weighing in on elections is the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which eliminated many of the traditional suppression methods used against African-American voters (Such as poll taxes and literacy tests), amongst many other important reforms. So under this clause, Congress could probably institute nationwide ranked-choice voting (There may be some reason they can't, but none that I'm aware of).

First past the post would be a lot more difficult to eliminate, as we'd have to move from our current system of representation to a proportional system. That would be much harder to implement due to the sheer inertia of the existing system, and I don't see it happening any time soon.

Dem primaries being ranked choice is probably something the party itself would have to implement, though as it stands caucuses are in their own way a form of ranked choice voting (Though they also have a LOT of other problems).

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I would like to remind you of the tale of Missouri. Saint Louis passed a citywide $15 minimum wage, and the Republican led state legislature afterwards signed a bill that stated that only the state legislature can set the minimum wage. That's a problem worth figuring out how to solve.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Good old poo poo-for-brains the lame duck just fired the SecDef. Is he just going to burn this country down? Or provoke a civil war?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
How far down the DOD CoC are political appointees / serve at the pleasure of the president? If he wanted to gut the DOD how bad could it get?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nystral posted:

How far down the DOD CoC are political appointees / serve at the pleasure of the president? If he wanted to gut the DOD how bad could it get?

Regardless of how far he can actually fire people, a reminder that the White House seemingly had their grubbie little fingers in the Theodore Roosevelt CO thing. I imagine he could definitely cause some damage on his way out the door.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
According to the Rand Corporation, there are about 45 positions in DoD that are subject to political appointment. 50 years ago, there were 12.
https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/monograph_reports/2009/MR1253.pdf

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

There's not really a lot legally speaking stopping them from just telling every officer that fails to execute what they want to resign immediately. All military officer commissions are at the will of the president. Firing military officers over politics is still one of the remaining decorum things Trump hasn't tried yet.

Now this would be unprecedented even by the actual civil war standards and it would lead to the officer corps which is already pretty anti Trump despite being right-leaning probably draw a line somewhere or at least make the military non-functional.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

who actually says OK, this person won and they are now president

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PookBear posted:

The electoral college. The results of the electoral vote are announced during a joint session of congress on Jan. 6th. The next presidential term begins on Jan. 20, 2020 at 12:01 PM.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A Bad Poster posted:

I would like to remind you of the tale of Missouri. Saint Louis passed a citywide $15 minimum wage, and the Republican led state legislature afterwards signed a bill that stated that only the state legislature can set the minimum wage. That's a problem worth figuring out how to solve.

In 2013 SeaTac, WA voters passed a $15 minimum wage ordinance, largely meant to provide airport workers with a living wage. A judge immediately ruled it didn't apply to the airport and it wasn't until 2015 the WA Supreme Court said yes it did. Some workers are still stuck in union contracts that mean airlines can pay them under $15, such as Horizon Air. In 2018 a baggage handler took an empty 76 passenger plane on a joyride that ended with him crashing into an island, and while talking with the air traffic controllers he mentioned low pay as a factor in his decision.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

In 2013 SeaTac, WA voters passed a $15 minimum wage ordinance, largely meant to provide airport workers with a living wage. A judge immediately ruled it didn't apply to the airport and it wasn't until 2015 the WA Supreme Court said yes it did. Some workers are still stuck in union contracts that mean airlines can pay them under $15, such as Horizon Air. In 2018 a baggage handler took an empty 76 passenger plane on a joyride that ended with him crashing into an island, and while talking with the air traffic controllers he mentioned low pay as a factor in his decision.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I moved away from Tacoma right before that happened. I would have been able to see the smoke from where I lived.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm honestly surprised there aren't some kind of chud-funded movements to have states have a kind of sub-EC, giving counties the power to set the state outcome.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Madurai posted:

I'm honestly surprised there aren't some kind of chud-funded movements to have states have a kind of sub-EC, giving counties the power to set the state outcome.

Now that you've said it aloud, there will be in 3-5 months. Thanks for that.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PookBear posted:

Everyone who doesn't pick up a gun over it

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Constitutional amendment is the primary way. Since that really isn't an option, getting a larger number of states signed up with the NPVIC would provide the same solution. Right now the states in the pact represent 196 electoral votes.

The difficulty is getting 2/3 of the States to ratify an amendment that strips them of any importance in Presidential elections. Hence why NPVIC signatories are mostly the population dense coastal states.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The electoral college. The results of the electoral vote are announced during a joint session of congress on Jan. 6th. The next presidential term begins on Jan. 20, 2020 at 12:01 PM.

Slight correction. The electors vote, but it's not official until Congress certifies that vote at the session on the 6th. If a Congress really wanted a civil war, they could theoretically throw out an election. Useful doc from the National Archives here on all the relevant provisions and timelines: https://www.archives.gov/files/electoral-college/state-officials/presidential-election-brochure.pdf

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Nice! posted:

That would be fantastic, but, yes, it is up to the states.

Is it possible for a state to do ranked choice direct popular presidential vote?

Like if you do ranked choice and your elimination is dem/rep/lib until one wins all the states electoral votes, that checks out. But if its direct vote for president then you can't rank at the local level, or else all of a sudden all of California residents votes "count" as D votes when ranking is done and the number is passed up to the federal level.

Definitely want ranked choice or one of the variants for all local races ASAP though.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Next time there is a super majority, DC becomes a state, and Puerto Rico if they want it. A further option would be Guam.

EC abolishment would be far harder to justify, after all 7 out of the last 8 presidential elections would have been won by the Democrat nominee with a popular vote option.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I don't think we'd ever have enough dem governors to actually get rid of the ec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PookBear posted:

I don't think we'd ever have enough dem governors to actually get rid of the ec

It's not about governors - its the legislatures of the states that have to approve it. Thanks to gerrymandering and running "the most progressive platform in history" that focused entirely on recruiting republican voters, there aren't going to be enough democratically controlled state legislatures to get a good amendment through.