Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
There's a lot of good effort posts in this forum(and subforums) and a lot of knowledge, articles, and studies, that are repeatedly referenced as "things that are known" but sometimes it's nice to have that stuff collected in one place.

:siren:The old thread can be found here, but many links are broken and some of the info is out of date.:siren:

I'm happy to keep this post updated and organized but if anyone has a better OP ready to go I'll happily concede.

Topics

General Debate
ShadowCatboy on how to debate diplomatically*archives required*
Study: Studies are worthless for trying to change someone's opinion
Prester Jane's experience as a cult survivor and how that informs US politics
The Debunking Handbook Free book in many languages on how to argue to change someone's opinion

COVID
Johns Hopkins global COVID dashboard
Covid Exit Strategy: Analysis of US response
Our World In Data COVID graphs Very customizable by country and data type
CBC(Canada) study on which masks work well
Nature article on the science supporting mask usage as of October 2020
This Week In Virology(TWiV) podcast
The Atlantic's very good completely free COVID tracker
Blog covering animal transimission(cats, minks, etc)
COVID Event Risk Assessment Tool **paper
Using "normal" risk as a way to visualize covid risk
CDC report on excess mortality and how our we may be undercounting deaths
Oxford mask study

LGBTQIA+ [thread]
Over 1500 animal species practice homosexuality
Historical information on homosexuality and mental health
GLAAD's LGBTQ+ resource list
Library of Congress LGBTQ+ resource page
LGBTQ+ people still aren't equal: A summary work that still needs to be done
The Stonewall Riots

Transgender Specific
National Center for Transgender Equality report on discrimination
Twin study on genetics vs rearing
Transgender brains match with their identified gender rather than assigned 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A discussion of biological sex(not really about gender/transgender but does sometimes come up)
A guide to gender identity terminology
A metastudy on the state of gender idenity research(2019)
What is gender dysphoria?
Transgender athletics policies by organization
Heavily footnoted article on gender affirming and inclusive athletics participation
List of medical groups and associations that have issued statements in support of gender affirming care
"trans regret" is made up bullshit by bigots, here's an analysis of 27 studies
Transgender discrimination legislation tracker
"when archaeologists dig up your bone--" NO

Racism
Discriminatory effects of credit scoring on communities of color
A forum poster's collection of MLK quotes, for when white people misuse him
Black fathers are more active in their children's lives than white fathers
Black people already do protest black on black crime, so you can shut up about that
Voter ID laws are racist
The ADL's hate symbol database
SPLC's hate group database also the rest of their site is good

Police Reform & Abolition
Confessions of a Former Bastard Cop - Read this first
Main ACLU page on police reform
How to reform American police, according to experts
Advancement Projects 5 core issues of police reform
The Marshall Project main page on police reform
How the Trump admin undid Obama-era police reforms
The history of police reform - Wikipedia
The answer to police violence is defunding, not reform. Here's why.

Climate Change - [Thread]
Impacts of 1.5C of Global Warming on Natural and Human Systems - This is the :siren:
The International Panel on Climate Change(IPCC)
Skeptical Science's exhaustive list of climate myths
100 companies are responsible for 71% of all carbon emissions.
Today In Energy - USA Dept of Energy
Interactive map on how hot the US will get
USA - Fouth National Climate Assessment(NCA)
Without Hot Air - Ebook on energy alternatives
97% of scientists agree on climate change and here is proof - and here's the paper it analyzes

Feminism and gender
Vox article on the historical waves of feminism
Don't be a TERF
Gender pay gap information
New York Public Library feminism reading list mostly good
"The only moral abortion is my abortion"
Women in the military face shockingly high levels of sexual assault as well as other issues
Why does John get the STEM job rather than Jennifer?

General US Politics
Study on white working class attitudes towards Trump in 2016

Political Theory
Cpt_Obvious thread on political theory in D&D a work in progress

How Elections Work
Voter Fraud is a myth
Research and data on Ranked Choice Voting(RCV)

Economics(Stonks, inequality)
A british housecat picked stocks better than professional investors

Lolbertarians
A thorough list of libertarian arguments and how to argue against them(it probably won't change their minds) Archived version, original is currently down

Drug Policy

Unemployment
Minimum wage laws have no discernable affect on unemployment - a metastudy of metastudies

Universal Basic Income
Alaska study showing no effect on employment
Barcelona study showing small decrease in employment worth reading on how it affected certain groups
Finland experiment that shows know affects on employment
NBER 2019 metastudy on UBI in the USA and other countries
Stanford 2020 metastudy on UBI

Real Estate, Landlords, Houselessness

Taxes
State by state data on the tax burden find out if your conservative state actually pays less than Californians(Texas doesn't lol)
The frequently used lie about how much taxes the wealthy pay

Healthcare
Metastudy of 22 studies that all say that Medicare For All would save money

Education
White students receive a disproportionate amount of private scholarships Scholarships targeting students of color don't come close to making up the difference.

Foreign Policy

Military
Statistics on military demographics

Immigration

Obesity

Guns

(I can add topics, this is not intended to be a limit)

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Reserved

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Reserved

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
I'd love to say I had a better one but I don't at the moment. Big thanks for creating this - the old thread was a really useful source for me, and I'm sure a ton of others on the forum.

These two are in the old thread, but I think they are worth adding to the top here:

ShadowCatboy's OP on debating diplomatically"
Study - studies are worthless when it comes to changing someone's opinion

I think these are even more important in this time, particularly if you're trying to figure out how to get through to your Facebook-spamming parents or friends-you-know-believe-some-really-bad-poo poo-but-you-want-to-keep-the-friendship.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

Discriminatory Effects of Credit Scoring on Communities of Color

^ re: Racism, and how communities of color get screwed on mortgages and loans. Also covers some of the 2008 context, where communities of color were more likely to be targeted for sub-prime loans. It's not very long, but gives a lot of details about systemic racism.

I'm going to trawl through some of the forums and see what other articles/studies are regularly referenced.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

Universal Basic Income

A hot-button topic. Unfortunately, there's not a massive amount of research on this one - many studies are ongoing. A lot of the arguments for/against seem to be philosophical in nature: one side arguing "giving people money dis-incentivizes work (people are lazy)" vs. "people inherently want to work, regardless of financial status (people are capitalists)".

Actual Studies

This Alaska UBI study found that UBI had no effect on employment. Study was done by an NBER fellow - an independent non-partisan org that is generally well-respected, if small.

This Barcelona UBI study found a small decrease in employment, but only in the 'active groups' - groups that had to take part in some activities to get the benefit, which the study writers suspect impacted their ability to look for employment. Results were only significant in some groups, but not all. Study was funded by many groups, which includes the Spain government and groups like the European Regional Development Fund.

The Finland Basic Income experiment found improved perceptions of well-being and mental health, while reporting no significant effects on employment. The study also showed small benefits in mental health and perception of well-being. The study's main flaw is that after year 1, a change in other monetary policies confounded further analysis of employment. Study was funded largely by the Finnish government.

Other Resources

The 2019 NBER analysis of UBI in the US and other countries is a meta-analysis of other UBI studies. It concludes that a 'pure' UBI would be extremely expensive, on the order of twice the cost of all other current social 'redistribution' programs in the US. It would also be regressive, if it meant replacing all existing anti-poverty programs, rather than supplementing them. This is the one to read if you want an in-depth look, and the citations link to other extremely relevant research.

The above analysis also covers some other relevant talking points, and describes what research there is (often little) on it - for example, arguments have been made that the decline in labor supply from UBI will be largely small and temporary, that it would reduce the stigma of assistance program participation and allow freer career decisions. However, all of these need further study.

This 2020 Stanford meta-analysis of other studies is another relevant point, and summarizes the current findings. Take-aways are that there are significant research gaps in evaluating a truly universal, sustained UBI. Most findings show labor effects are minimal, while health and education outcomes improve. They also suggest that other social programs, similar to UBI, should be further researched - there is little attention on the impacts of broader social and fiscal policy.

IT BEGINS fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 9, 2020

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Thanks for the UBI stuff.

If anyone wants to jump in on some other categories, that would be cool.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

This is a crucial topic of discussion, and I think it's important to acknowledge from the outset that people are living in increasingly seperate realities. Our society relies on shared realities to properly function, and lately they have begun to fracture. Any dialogue has to start from certain agreed assumptions, otherwise they are just monologues happening in parallel. And in that context, meaningful conversations are becoming basically impossible, and any well-sourced argument will just be ignored.

It's largely an epistemological problem. So we're going to need to figure out a way forward within that dynamic, to bridge that divide.

I'll hopefully have more to add later, particularly around the idea of conspiracies and misinformation, but just wanted to throw that out there for now.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Bucky Fullminster posted:

This is a crucial topic of discussion, and I think it's important to acknowledge from the outset that people are living in increasingly seperate realities. Our society relies on shared realities to properly function, and lately they have begun to fracture. Any dialogue has to start from certain agreed assumptions, otherwise they are just monologues happening in parallel. And in that context, meaningful conversations are becoming basically impossible, and any well-sourced argument will just be ignored.

It's largely an epistemological problem. So we're going to need to figure out a way forward within that dynamic, to bridge that divide.

I'll hopefully have more to add later, particularly around the idea of conspiracies and misinformation, but just wanted to throw that out there for now.

Agreed, and social media radicalization as well.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Street Epistemology sometimes lead to interesting conversations. Obviously a lot of it is just the socratic method but there is a structure to it that seems useful when engaging with entrenched beliefs.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I remember somebody once posting a study that showed that charter schools largely don't perform, including not performing as well as just giving public schools more money. It had rating for just about every school reform possible.

Anyone have that?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
For Covid19 there's a few very helpful articles I've referenced.

Excess Mortality
Yes, this is the "flu dashboard" but it also tracks some Covid19 data. In the section about NCHS Mortality Statistics, you can find a great chart with links to a nice, simple data set regarding flu and Covid19 mortality - and most usefully - total deaths by year.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

One data set (this link changes, so it may be stale when you download it.) https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2020-2021/data/NCHSData46.csv

CDC article from October addressing excess mortality and how it indicates Covid19 deaths are underreported - https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6942e2.htm?s_cid=mm6942e2_w

Mask Efficacy
Oxford Study - https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08-oxford-covid-19-study-face-masks-and-coverings-work-act-now
Data about mask usage vs reopening, showing that mask mandates decreased new Covid19 cases by about 90% - https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11606-020-06277-0

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Bumping up for visibility.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

This seems like a good thread to resurrect and also ask for some help.

In a few weeks I'm going to get into teaching the text of the Constitution, which is going to mean talking about how elections work and the 1st Amendment right to protest, which is going to inevitably mean talking about January 6 and why Joe Biden did not in fact steal the election like a bunch of the kids have been loving parroting since the first day of school because of their idiot chud parents. Does anyone have any favorite articles or timelines of events discussing Nov. through Jan. of last year they could share with me that I can use as resources to prepare for that? Preferably with a minimum of technical poo poo/a layman bent since I'm going to be teaching middle schoolers?

So much of that whole nightmare is honestly still a blur for me, and because of a Covid flareup taking us back to Virtual after winter break for three weeks I never actually had to directly address the event much in its aftermath. By the time they came back the kids had all emotionally moved on from something they weren't really old enough to comprehend, and I was already way behind on standards anyway so I couldn't afford to take a bunch of time to discuss it. Frankly I was such an emotional wreck trying to teach through Covid unvaccinated for half the year and the School Board constantly trying to capitulate to anti-mask anti-science conspiracy gently caress parents that I didn't want to observe things too closely and just kind of basked in Biden's victory. Even on Jan 6 I found the whole thing funny at first, as my posting history on the day would show. But now I'm going to have to deal with it, especially since I have so many kids that consistently and vocally crack wise about Biden stealing it. One of my favorite and brightest students showed me how she'd blacked out Biden's name in her List Of Presidents when she got her planner. I can't afford not to address it this time, and even if I wanted to there's no way I wouldn't have to tackle them asking about it anyway.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Sanguinia posted:

This seems like a good thread to resurrect and also ask for some help.

My work got very busy and I've let this languish.

If anyone has a category they'd like to fill out or edits to any of what I've put in, let me know and I'll slap it up there.

In particular the COVID section is probably out of date.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Sanguinia posted:

In a few weeks I'm going to get into teaching the text of the Constitution, which is going to mean talking about how elections work and the 1st Amendment right to protest, which is going to inevitably mean talking about January 6 and why Joe Biden did not in fact steal the election like a bunch of the kids have been loving parroting since the first day of school because of their idiot chud parents. Does anyone have any favorite articles or timelines of events discussing Nov. through Jan. of last year they could share with me that I can use as resources to prepare for that? Preferably with a minimum of technical poo poo/a layman bent since I'm going to be teaching middle schoolers?

I haven't looked at it, but Idaho has a series of videos about how elections work and since it's Idaho I assume they're meant to respond to Republican fraud claims. Maybe there's something useful in there (or your state has the same thing)?

fwiw Idaho didn't sign onto the Texas lawsuit last year

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

James Garfield posted:

I haven't looked at it, but Idaho has a series of videos about how elections work and since it's Idaho I assume they're meant to respond to Republican fraud claims. Maybe there's something useful in there (or your state has the same thing)?

fwiw Idaho didn't sign onto the Texas lawsuit last year

Very nice, thanks. The Voter Fraud Is A Myth thing from the OP is also a great resource. What I most need now is specific info about the failed post-Election lawsuits, Stop the Steal and Kraken stuff and the leadup to the Jan 6 Protests so I can show exactly how Joe Biden did NOT steal the election.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Brennan center is a great resource but I also wrote the OP before the 2020 elections really got wierd so there's probably a large amount of stuff on elections that people have now they that they weren't thinking about

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Sort of related to the main thread topic: I'm looking for a book that gives an overview of major world religions from an 'overall neutral' point of view for a kid, and am coming up with approximately jack poo poo.

What I'm looking for is a book that doesn't just go over the basics of their beliefs and nicer-sounding bits -- there's a bunch of those around -- but also is unafraid to point out times in history when people did horrific things in the name of their religion, or to critique when a faith's tenets make little sense on the surface. I'm fine with my son learning the positive and neutral aspects of religions, but the negative shouldn't be omitted. I guess most "children's books" authors probably don't want to risk offending someone, or feel that religious critique is inappropriate for kids, but maybe a goon has heard of something out there?

Like, it's common to have strict gender roles/gender-based oppression in religions; I'd like a book that's unafraid to, at the very least, point this out, even if it doesn't go on a full blown rant about it. Something like, "X religion has a strict male-only leadership, which many feel is out of step in modern times" or whatever, something that is at least enough to give food for thought, or start a longer conversation.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Pushing this thread up to see if there's any interest in adding to it.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Pushing this thread up to see if there's any interest in adding to it.

Sure, I'll throw this in here. It's long but I think it's worth a look:

https://daniel-ed-morrison.medium.com/we-need-to-talk-about-truth-d977c80c25d

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Updated the section on transgender issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Updated some sections