Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
No gimmicks here, just some normal chili for normal people.

Ingredients:
  • Chuck roast
  • Ground Beef
  • A variety of dried chilis
  • Jalapenos
  • Onion
  • Chicken stock
  • Cumin
  • Coriander
  • Anchovy
  • Little bit of fish sauce
  • Tomato paste
  • Garlic
  • Cider vinegar
  • Brown sugar

Start by chopping the meat into large chunks

Coat with salt and pepper, then brown the outside over high heat

Once it's cool, dice the large chunks into bite-sized pieces.

Cook the ground beef as well (not pictured). You'll want to drain the liquid a couple times so you can get some nice crispy browning on it, instead of just boiling it in its juices.

Once that's done, add a little bit of chicken broth and the dried chilis to the pot you cooked the meat it, and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. This should soften the chilis, and also lift up any tasty meat bits stuck to the pan.

In the meantime, you'll want to toast some cumin and coriander, then grind them up into a powder.

Add the chilis to a food processor along with the spices, a couple anchovies, and some fish sauce, and puree into a paste.

The result should be a very delicious blend of savory, spicy, and salty flavors.

Turning back to the cooking pot, you'll want to dice up your veggies and start cooking. Start with the onions...

then add your jalapeno and garlic...

then the chili paste...

and finally the stock, and some tomato paste.

As an aside, the chicken stock I'm using this time is store-bought, but as part of a previous recipe I cooked some chicken and carrots/onion/celery in it before straining them out, making it stronger and more flavorful.

Anyway, bring the stock to a boil and add your meats

Reduce heat to a simmer and let it cook for about 3 hours, until the meat is tender and the liquid has thickened. Near the end, add some cider vinegar and brown sugar to taste (probably around a tablespoon of the sugar, and around double that for the vinegar)

Serve with your preferred toppings. If you have any relevant trophies or awards, try subtly including them in the photograph. This should subconsciously improve your audience's impression of the meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

A good child

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
The fish sauce and anchovy are unexpected but I’m intrigued. I shall try “normal chili” soon, thanks.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Looks excellent friend. What chillis did you use?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Hawley-Smoot Tariff posted:

The fish sauce and anchovy are unexpected but I’m intrigued. I shall try “normal chili” soon, thanks.

Yeah, it works better than you might expect. You don't get any fishy taste in the final product, just savory.

User Error posted:

Looks excellent friend. What chillis did you use?

A little bit of everything I had on hand. Ancho, Chipotle, Anaheim, Cascabel, and Pasilla specifically, plus the fresh jalapenos. But I've made it with different blends in the past, you can just use what's easy to get ahold of.