Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The main USPol thread can be useful sometimes.

Not recently. Between NoJoe/YesJoe chat and "What about this one weird Trick Trump could use to stay president forever!", it's become high noise, low signal. The Polliwonks thread has been a relative oasis of higher-value posts, but that is generally for well, wonky stuff like polls, NUMBER and thankfully, it's main purpose will be going away after the Georgia special elections (for, at least, I don't know, 2, 3 months? I kid. 22 midterms polling probably has already started

So, this will be a news/discussion thread with the following rules/guidelines:

1) No Doomposting.
2) Posts pertaining to politics must be at least semi-bound in reality. For example, yes, Trump is trying various legal shenanigans to try to overturn the popular vote. No, until he actually gets a realistic chance of moving beyond a legal hearing that has judges threatening to nail lawyers hides to the wall, it's not time to posit that "Trump's about to steal the election and we're about to devolve into Civil War Part Two: This Time With Tanks!"
3) Post your ma.. er.. sources. Again, news is useful. doomposting is not.

If there are any other guidelines that will be useful, we'll add this to the first post. But hopefully the trump-fever is breaking, and come January the thread will be moving a bit slower, so your heart doesn't skip a beat when you come back after a day, and the main USPol thread isn't 1000 posts waiting to be viewed of "OMG Trump is stealing the election" "No he's not, here's why" 'But what if he does?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Just to prime the pump, so to speak, couple interesting stories on how State GOP officials are being dragged, kicking and screaming into the "if you just clap hard enough, (Tinker Bell will come back to life/Trump will find all the illegal votes!)" mindset:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/republican-pressure-states-election/2020/11/11/edd054fe-2441-11eb-952e-0c475972cfc0_story.html

The efforts in these states — where Biden has won or is leading in the count — come as the Trump campaign struggles to amass genuine evidence of fraud that will pass muster in court. Republican lawsuits seeking to challenge the Nov. 3 election results so far have foundered, and affidavits cited as proof of election fraud in cities such as Detroit have failed to substantiate serious claims that votes were counted illegally.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/election-results-and-news-11-11-20/h_59459be4711591b78160b2cb4ac84ff8

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/election-results-and-news-11-11-20/h_59459be4711591b78160b2cb4ac84ff8

Renowned Republican elections lawyer Ben Ginsberg said today that President Trump's effort to challenge election results in swing states are already proving to be futile. "What you are also seeing today in court is ... affidavits that don't even challenge votes, but that challenge the process, are really getting derided by judges around the country," said Ginsberg, speaking with CNN's Erin Burnett.

Apparently, Biden is already being sent State Department cables congratulating him on becoming President-elect, but Trump's office is preventing them from being sent to Biden.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/11/politics/state-department-biden-messages/index.html

A stack of messages from foreign leaders to President-elect Joe Biden are sitting at the State Department but the Trump administration is preventing him from accessing them, according to State Department officials familiar with the messages.

Traditionally, the State Department supports all communications for the President-elect, which is why many countries began sending messages to State over the weekend. But with Biden prohibited from accessing State Department resources by the Trump administration, because President Donald Trump refuses to accept Biden's victory, dozens of incoming messages have not been received.

If you told us eight-12 years ago that this kinda thing was happening, I think we would be just thunderstruck that politivs has gotten so ridiculous. Nowadays, we just shrug and nod, and go "yeah, that's the President in 2020."

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
Watching all of this from across the Atlantic I'm amazed at how fast and wide Trumpism has spread around the world in the last few years. If you can even call it Trumpism; I'd say UKIP+Farage+Brexit and European shenanigans with Le Pen and alternatif for deutchland or whatever it's called, and the Sverigedemokraterna and all that had primed that pump before Trump became a political shitstorm.

Like, even here in stupid little innocent Iceland we have Trump supporters. People who are convinced that this global pandemic that is making all nations around the world shut their economies down is really all a lie by some political party in some other country to get rid of some president. Apparently Iceland, Vietnam and every other nation on earth is ready to follow orders from the DNC.

I guess this sentiment has always been here in people but man has Trump drawn it out in them.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Trump is just the latest of a line of would be dictators who find those who think they should be better off and manages to focus their hatred against a certain group of people.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I'm a little unclear on what constitutes doom posting. Could you explain that a little more?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Doom posting is assuming the absolute worst will happen in every scenario no matter what. Biden won? Well Trump’s gonna steal it. Trump concedes and Biden is inaugurated? Well Biden’s gonna suck anyway. Biden does something good? Here’s why that’s actually bad. Etc. At least that’s how I interpret it

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
What's doomposting?

nah posted:

Doom posting is assuming the absolute worst will happen in every scenario no matter what. Biden won? Well Trump’s gonna steal it. Trump concedes and Biden is inaugurated? Well Biden’s gonna suck anyway. Biden does something good? Here’s why that’s actually bad. Etc. At least that’s how I interpret it

So we can only be positive about Biden itt despite the evidence that he will suck?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
No? You can still talk about politics and analyze and commentate and so on without necessarily hyperbolically extrapolating to the worst possible extreme. "Doomposting" is "Always assume the very worst is the most likely." It's a thought-terminating cliche for nihilists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
We're not going to do a 'positive news about the democrats only' zone. If you want a happy news thread you can make one, but this ain't it.