Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Top American Grandmaster Hikaru Nakamura has a chess stream on Twitch that gets up to 10K or more viewers at a time which is WAY higher than a lot of popular streamers of big games. I don't know what numbers he was getting before Queen's Gambit but I seriously doubt it was that high. To be fair Hikaru is really good at streaming, he "gets" it more than any other big time chess player, and has the gift of gab and has a good personality.

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Chess actually had a pretty big revival earlier in the year (independently).
Chess on Twitch blew up around March of this year after Hikaru did a collaboration with xQc. We was around 2000 concurrent viewers before this, and he has been 10k+ ever since. Just today for example I think I saw 37k watching his current tournament. COVID plus the lack of a fun multiplayer game after Valorant sort of bombed / before Fall Guys and Among Us became popular, chess became the Twitch flavor of the month for a while, with other chess streamers like the Botez Sisters, Gotham Chess, Anna Rudolph etc all gaining much larger audiences.

So a whole lot of new people started playing chess online, but actual competitive chess events also shifted from slow classical in person games, to online shorter time control games. And shorter games are way more fun to watch, way less likely to be all draws. So that helped with the popularity as well, which sort of peaked with Hikaru beating Magnus in a match for the very first time.

Also, chess.com hosted a competition called Pogchamps where popular non-chess streamers got lessons from the chess streamers and then competed, and it was hugely popular and helped launch some non-chess streamers like Ludwig's popularity.

And then a couple months after things settle back down from being the Flavor of the Month, Queen's Gambit happens, and there is a second wave of popularity. It's been a great year for chess entertainment content on Twitch.... Which brings me to

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how is the general chess community taking this show and it’s inspiration for an explosion in interest in chess? Are they mostly all happy about it or are there insular assholes scoffing at it?
There is always a tension in the chess community between the insular assholes that want chess to keep some sort of rarified air around it, and people (like Hikaru) who want the game to be more popular because it's a just a fun game even if you aren't an elite player. Pogchamps was a huge success in terms of putting the game in front of new people, lots of funny moments, and a good time, but it still drew some crap thinkpieces about how poor the quality of the chess was.

But, the show made it looks pretty classy, I guess, so I haven't heard much along those lines. But anything that brings new players in will have people who default to "you are too bad at this game to deserve to even play it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, for casually dabbling in chess it might be rare but for anyone serious or who plays a lot en passant capture is an important consideration in every pawn move so it would be a gross blunder for a top player to miss a winning move (for them or their opponent) because of not considering it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Hi, thread I just wanted to drop by and say that I'm not typically a TV/Movie crier. And by that I mean that I could list every show/movie that has made me cry because there are only a handful of them. The last episode of this didn't just get a tear out of my, but like actual crying. It was the scene where she found the bulletin board. Holy poo poo, it hit me like a sledgehammer. What a fantastic miniseries this was.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Hi, thread I just wanted to drop by and say that I'm not typically a TV/Movie crier. And by that I mean that I could list every show/movie that has made me cry because there are only a handful of them. The last episode of this didn't just get a tear out of my, but like actual crying. It was the scene where she found the bulletin board. Holy poo poo, it hit me like a sledgehammer. What a fantastic miniseries this was.

Yeah I found that scene emotionally devastating too as did many. And only made so because of the context from the first episode.